Accused of careless/dangerous driving

just woundering if anybody had any info or experience regarding careless of dangerous driving ■■
My friend Has been driving artics 30 years full clean licence , he was pulled by traffic cops some months driving into Scotland at 4am, they had followed him driving a fully laden artic pulling a mega deck trailer for 2 miles which my dad knew they had been doing . They then pulled him over and said your not displaying a rear number plate which he apologised but then the copper went on to say he had been swaying all over the road in and out of the hard shoulder separate times and without breath testing him or checking his phone they just said he was to tired to drive the vehicle and they where going to report him to the sheriff , they followed him onto the serverces waited for him to stop then driven off my dad is adamant he wasn’t tired and had only benn awake about 5 hours, since this we have been to a court in Scotland to be told they are charging him with not displaying a number plate which he admitted and also charging him with careless driving being to tired to drive the vehicle . A court date has been set and obviously we are concerned as this is his livelihood … Anybody had any experience with this kind of situation ■■ I wasn’t aware coppers had special powers to predict somebody was to tired to drive and even if he was swaying I think there’s many other factors that would make a hgv sway …
Any info would be great cheers

Can’t help from a legal point of view but it is possible there could be a sleep disorder/condition such as sleep apnoea which could cause him to be falling asleep (and drifting onto hard shoulder etc) and not even realise it.

I would certainly suggest seeking medical advise and getting checked out before the court date. If there is an underlying issue then this evidence could be presented in court as mitigating circumstances.

I would imagine the Police have good evidence to show the driving issues.

The fact that he’d only been awake for about five hours doesn’t mean much, you could be tired after a couple of hours if you never had enough sleep beforehand.

The police may have video evidence to back up their story that the driver was driving carelessly, if so I don’t see there’s much he can do apart from get good legal advice.

Devaney90:
My friend Has been driving artics 30 years full clean licence , he was pulled by traffic cops some months driving into Scotland at 4am, they had followed him driving a fully laden artic pulling a mega deck trailer for 2 miles which my dad knew they had been doing .

my dad is adamant he wasn’t tired and had only benn awake about 5 hours…

Good to know your dad is also your friend, I like that. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

Remind me never to tell you a secret,your “friend” went to “my dad” within 2 sentences :smiley: :smiley: