Absolutely shit myself tonight!

Strange thing happened to me this evening, somewhat of a school boy error of judgement which could of ended in tears…

Heading down the M1 southbound with a full trailer load of chilled meat and needing a 45. The overhead matrix signs were flashing ‘No fuel at Tibshelf Services’ but fine I thought, I’m only after a brew. It was around 1920hrs as I approached the exit slip to the services. The whole off ramp was in darkness and I could see the lamp posts which weren’t illuminated. This is not a usual haunt for me so for a second I thought I had come off early and was heading down a country lane. I carried on and saw headlights in the horizon of an approaching vehicle. Strange I thought at first, then had the sinking feeling I had headed down a one way road…

Suddenly the headlights of an artic are directly on me and I’m now convinced I’m heading down a dark one way road. I immediately check my mirrors and slam on the anchors. Luckily nothing behind me as I drastically reduce speed. I’m sure at this point I shout out some profanity as I think I’m about to have a head on collision.

Then I see the barrier that is separating us. Said artic carries on merrily with a left swing round the on ramp to the M1 which for bit runs parallel with the exit slip I’m on.

Got in safely and the whole MSA is in darkness. Didn’t get my brew, but did adjust the headlight level upwards! :unamused:

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Wait till you pull in park up an get ur head down on the wheel for 10 -15 min , wake up look up and FFFFFFFFFFF k theres a truck infront of you about 2ft away :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: foot hard down on the old break peddle :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: .

then it all becomes clear you aint movin and the truck infront pulled infront of you and parked up :unamused:

Change of underwear please Matron :blush:

Done ^^^this^^^ more than once :blush: :laughing:

My old man had a similar experience to the OP, he was going Swiss and somewhere in France a railway line, complete with train, was coming from his right side at 90deg to the road, he got almost to the point where lorry and train were going to collide and jumped on the anchors, coming to a stop in a dirty great cloud of blue smoke…as the train went under the road in a tunnel :laughing: :laughing:

Somebody I’ve known has done something like this with a train. Driving along this road at night a few years back found a train coming the opposite direction and they suddenly thought they were driving the wrong way down the tracks. :laughing:

I’ve fallen asleep for a quick ten minutes in france, 2 hours later i havn’t got a clue where i am, and what the [zb] i’m doing in a lorry. it’s a good job i had a sat nav, i didn’t even know i was in france. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
that was probably the deepest sleep i’d ever had.
i think they call it a coma. :laughing:

Aye, tis true, tis true…the night be playing tricks on those wee truckers!

nick2008:
:mrgreen: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Wait till you pull in park up an get ur head down on the wheel for 10 -15 min , wake up look up and FFFFFFFFFFF k theres a truck infront of you about 2ft away :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: foot hard down on the old break peddle :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: .

then it all becomes clear you aint movin and the truck infront pulled infront of you and parked up :unamused:

Or when you’re asleep on the bunk and feel asif you’re moving so jump up for the handbrake! Usually cracking my head off something in the process :blush:

nick2008:

I done a similar thing like that when I nodded off on the train I even shouted out as well !! The bloke sat opposite me must of thought I was a right nutter ! :smiley:

Had things like that happen to me at night (well very early hours upon starting a new shift).

Sometimes in the wee small hours I feel like a quick nap I struggle to fall asleep because I tyhink I’m still driving. 5 minutes is all I need but I’ve woken up sharpish thinking I’m still at the wheel. Do it all the time.

:laughing: Disorientation, especially at night, can scare the crap out of you. Fear of the unknown is a wonderful thing. Happens to most drivers I’d think. :laughing:

jimboy124:

nick2008:

I done a similar thing like that when I nodded off on the train I even shouted out as well !! The bloke sat opposite me must of thought I was a right nutter ! :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

A good thing to keep you awake I find is to wind the windows down and shout ■■■■■■■■ three or four times at the top of your voice to the cows in a field !! I done this the other morning … my double man partner was not impressed at all …:smiley:

jimboy124:
A good thing to keep you awake I find is to wind the windows down and shout ■■■■■■■■ three or four times at the top of your voice to the cows in a field !! I done this the other morning … my double man partner was not impressed at all …:smiley:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

nick2008:

More than once :blush:

A similar thing has happened to me when stuck in traffic in the middle lane - then the traffic to both sides of me starts to move and I’ve slammed the anchors on convinced that I’m rolling backwards :blush: :angry:

grumpybum:
A similar thing has happened to me when stuck in traffic in the middle lane - then the traffic to both sides of me starts to move and I’ve slammed the anchors on convinced that I’m rolling backwards :blush: :angry:

This had happened to me on several occasions!
Scares the hell out of you when it happens! :laughing:

grumpybum:

This was worse on a ferry when the lorries either side moved off, I always did a big stamp on the anchors when this happened :blush:

Had a bit of a mad one in the bunk once, I was pulling a fridge and my lorry had no night heater, I woke up freezing my ■■■■ off, well I dreamt I’d woke up, if you know what I mean, and I thought I was locked in the trailer, I went off alarming, kicking and screaming and all that, when I did wake up properly it took me ages to calm down, I went back to sleep and when I pulled the curtains the next morning the windscreen was a right mess, cracks everywhere, I must’ve kicked ■■■■ out of it in my panic :open_mouth:

grumpybum:

scared the crap out of a fellow driver once by slowly rolling backwards to reverse from where i was parked , he ■■■■ himself as he thought he was rolling forwards into the barrier hahaha :slight_smile: