A66 accident Saturday morning

2 HGV’s involved in head on collision… last i heard was both drivers airlifted to james cook hospital middlesborough with arm and leg injuries …does anyone know who’s vehicles were involved… and any update on the drivers,
i’ve pasted the local news item here from ■■■■■■■■■■■■ news site…
the road is open again now…

Police are appealing for witnesses to a serious road traffic collision which occurred on the A66 near to Whinfell at 6:40am today, Saturday 3 November.

The collision involved two heavy goods vehicles.

The driver of a white DAF, a 59-year-old man from the Bradford area sustained serious arm injuries.

The driver of a Mercedes HGV, a 27-year-old man from the Beverley area also received serious injuries.

Both men were conveyed to the James Cook Hospital in Middlesbrough by air ambulance, where the condition of the 59-year-old man is described as serious and will be undergoing surgery later today.

A spokesman for the GNAAS said: “Two helicopters from the Great North Air Ambulance Service attended a head on collision involving 2 HGV’s on the A66 near Center Parcs just east of Penrith this morning.

“Both drivers had sustained serious injuries, with one suffering multiple severe fractures of his arms and legs. The other patient sustained a serious leg fracture and an arm fracture.”

A spokesman for ■■■■■■■ Fire and Rescue Service said: “At 06:42 a fire crew from Appleby and two fire crews from Carlisle East were mobilised to a road traffic collision involving two HGV’s and a car on the A66 in Whinfell, Penrith.

“Two people were trapped — drivers of the HGV’s. Fire crews made the vehicles safe and then used Holmatro equipment, triple extension ladders and a working platform to release the casualties from the HGV’s. Both casualties were released by the fire crews and then they were handed to the care of the paramedics.”

Immediately after the collision and prior to the arrival of the emergency services a second collision occurred within the confines of the scene, involved in this collision was a Ford Fusion car and a Volvo HGV.

The drivers of both these vehicles were uninjured.

The A66 for closed for most of the day to allow collision investigators to access the scene.

Police are appealing for witnesses to either collision to contact PC Cunningham at the Roads Policing Unit in Durranhill on 101 or speak to any police officer.

Flippin heck, I hope both drivers recover.

I ran the 66 for the first time in an artic this week, both ways, freighted and at night, it wasn’t for the faint-hearted.