A1 roadworks dishforth

Have been through this part a few times of late at varying times of day/night tend to do 50 thorough all of if not really bothered about what other people are doing

came up this morning, about 2.30am doing 50, in a P.D. logistics curtainsided artic, and a nutter driving a boxed artic squeezed passed, forcing me tight on the nearside cones, he must of gained 500 yards through most of the remaining roadworks…pointless…

Lucy:

Darb:

paul@midway:

truckerone:
,only this morning did a plain blue man with a double deck curtainsider coming hurtling down the outside lane nearly taking my mirrors off,
upon clearing the roadworks i set the limiter at 54 mph and passed the muppet with ease giving him the finger ,

And as a side note the speed check is 50 mph AVERAGE check. A wagon or any other vehicle running at 52 mph in the distance that those roadworks are is going to set an average speed of below 50 mph.

Surely if the vehicle is driving at 52 mph then the average is 52 mph regardless of distance travelled :question:

+1. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

+1 and laugh as much as you like , if you start working out averages over distance it works out less. There is calculators but go and look yourself , I had this discussion on here maybe 4 yrs ago and threw a link up for people to try and all that used it ended up agreeing with me.
I used this stretch the other night cos the A19 WAS SHUT GRRRR :laughing: I was limiter at 56 mph until I got caught up with someone in the 6"6 and then sat back because it is narrow.As soon as it opened up into the wider section I was around and back on the limiter until I caught up with the next group , no room to get past them before the next 6"6 so sat behind , bearing this topic in mind I reset the trucks settings before getting into this stretch - which will give me average speed over a certain distance.
Those roadworks ended up being around 14 miles long and the trucks calculated average speed over that distance was 51 mph.Bearing in mind at every chance I had I was back on the limiter.

Now before you ■■■■ and moan and whine about 51 mph , you are not going to get done for that , there is tolerances in speedometers …Example being on that night I was using the renault premium and when thats wound up it goes like a train but shows 90 kph. I can easily pass anything else we have that also shows 90kph and not at a crawl either.

Bottom line is yes I agree overtaking in the 6"6 is not the best thing to do , but quit whining about peoples speed and exagerrating it with “hurtling” and “flying” because it’s not really the truth is it. Unless you were well below the 50 limit anyway.

Timed myself Fri night 15 mins 50mph ,
So if i had been doing 56mph the extra 6mls in the hour would equate to a mile & a half in the quarter of an hour so all in all you would save yourself approx 2 mins It is sometimes frustrating sitting behind somebody at 40 /45 but just chill you might live longer :smiley:

paul@midway:

Lucy:

Darb:

paul@midway:

truckerone:
,only this morning did a plain blue man with a double deck curtainsider coming hurtling down the outside lane nearly taking my mirrors off,
upon clearing the roadworks i set the limiter at 54 mph and passed the muppet with ease giving him the finger ,

And as a side note the speed check is 50 mph AVERAGE check. A wagon or any other vehicle running at 52 mph in the distance that those roadworks are is going to set an average speed of below 50 mph.

Surely if the vehicle is driving at 52 mph then the average is 52 mph regardless of distance travelled :question:

+1. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

+1 and laugh as much as you like , if you start working out averages over distance it works out less. NO IT DOESNT There is calculators but go and look yourself , I had this discussion on here maybe 4 yrs ago and threw a link up for people to try and all that used it ended up agreeing with me.
I used this stretch the other night cos the A19 WAS SHUT GRRRR :laughing: I was limiter at 56 mph until I got caught up with someone in the 6"6 and then sat back because it is narrow.As soon as it opened up into the wider section I was around and back on the limiter until I caught up with the next group , no room to get past them before the next 6"6 so sat behind , bearing this topic in mind I reset the trucks settings before getting into this stretch - which will give me average speed over a certain distance.
Those roadworks ended up being around 14 miles long and the trucks calculated average speed over that distance was 51 mph.Bearing in mind at every chance I had I was back on the limiter.

Now before you ■■■■ and moan and whine about 51 mph , you are not going to get done for that , there is tolerances in speedometers …Example being on that night I was using the renault premium and when thats wound up it goes like a train but shows 90 kph. I can easily pass anything else we have that also shows 90kph and not at a crawl either.

Bottom line is yes I agree overtaking in the 6"6 is not the best thing to do , but quit whining about peoples speed and exagerrating it with “hurtling” and “flying” because it’s not really the truth is it. Unless you were well below the 50 limit anyway.

Of course if your speed changes then your average will be lower than your top speed, but you first stated that a over a distance a vehicle traveling at 52mph will average less than 50 mph :slight_smile:

So you weren’t doing a steady 56 then, were you. That’s why your average was lower. To get an average - or mean - you add things together then divide them by the number of things you had to start with, so 52+52+52 then divide by 3 is going to give you 52 every time. :unamused:

Go and find some time over distance calculators…
Thats all I,m going to say , I,m not going over this subject again some 4 years later.

paul@midway:
Thats all I,m going to say , I,m not going over this subject again some 4 years later.

darkseeker:
there’s wide bits that (if you look carefully) aren’t actually limited, and I’ll overtake cars elsewhere

i have to do drops on these road works, and yes there is parts where the 6’6" limit doesnt apply, it is
frustrating when you are trying to make progress to the speed limit and you have someone over
take you at more then 50, only to pull in front and slow to less then 40!

but be aware, they are catching about 100 drivers per day going over the average limit

paul@midway:

If you travel at a constant 52mph for one mile then your average speed is 52mph and if you travel at a constant 52mph for one hundred miles then your average speed is… 52mph :smiley: