A nice sight today

I’m fairly hard nosed and don’t let much get to me but today I got a lump in my throat when I saw a convoy of 100 or so London taxis complete with blue light police ■■■■■■, motorcycle outriders from the Met, the City of London Police, Gendarmes and a tail end charlie ambulance.

It was the taxi drivers doing a run for sick and terminally ill children to Disneyland Paris.

The motorcycles were stopping traffic on to the A13 to give the convoy a clear run but the Canning Town entrance wasn’t blocked and I travelled alongside to Barking. It was quite a sight, and good to see such support from the police and even the French joining in too.

I’ve not found any news coverage but I did find theirJust Giving site, the cabbies give their time and try and fundraise the rest.

Well done them, gotta do something for the little people. I wonder if the cabbies know of ECTC?

Thanks for the report 8 wheels.

That’s not taking anything away from your efforts Mr.V mind, it’s just I’ve never seen anything quite like this before and I was genuinely touched.

I know mate, just wish this world had less self centred people in it that worried more about tomorrows adults then maybe we might have less to worry about. Did that make sense? i know what i meant :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I don’t know if they still do it, but years back the Manchester cabbies used to bring the under priveleged children from the area to Blackpool for a day out. They used to come back past my house, head lights on, balloons fluttering, horns blaring all the way… you could hear the convoy coming over 1/2 a mile away. Always used to bring a tear to my eye as does recalling it here.
Not so much feeling sorry for the kids, but about what a nice gesture the drivers give: a day’s earnings gone, fuel, treats, etc. Good guys.

here here rob well said mate :sunglasses:
not the same but i think its sad you don’t see kids out in trucks with their dads or mums etc i used to love going out with my dad in trucks went all over with him . i think its sad you don’t see it as much anymore :cry:

and possibly a major reason why there are so few young drivers around.

Driveroneuk:

i’m young only 24 going on 10 :laughing: :laughing:

thats nice of them to do that for the kids :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: it makes me smile :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Driveroneuk:

Yeah i reckon you’ve hit the nail on the head. I guess some of us were lucky cos of what we were allowed to do as kids, but just un lucky now cos of the crap we have to deal with.

I saw this at Dartford peage, it was nice to see…except the french condoms on their bikes :laughing:

There will be some cheap tobacco round London then :wink:

You’ll never guess what I had in my cab last week :stuck_out_tongue:

To be honest if you dig past the news headlines of Doom and Gloom, you’ll find loads of people doing things to make life a bit better for others. It’s just the news has to be full of the bad things going on in the World. :frowning:

Look at Little Enis, Selfishly gave up last Sunday to help some young women at Snetterton. :laughing:

lug84:
here here rob well said mate :sunglasses:
not the same but i think its sad you don’t see kids out in trucks with their dads or mums etc i used to love going out with my dad in trucks went all over with him . i think its sad you don’t see it as much anymore :cry:

used to have my son a lot but because of H.S.E. it was hard going in u.k not so bad in europe he is now working in the industry and will be driving when old enough

Driveroneuk:
I don’t know if they still do it, but years back the Manchester cabbies used to bring the under priveleged children from the area to Blackpool for a day out. They used to come back past my house, head lights on, balloons fluttering, horns blaring all the way… you could hear the convoy coming over 1/2 a mile away. Always used to bring a tear to my eye as does recalling it here.
Not so much feeling sorry for the kids, but about what a nice gesture the drivers give: a day’s earnings gone, fuel, treats, etc. Good guys.

Sadly, my Dad died in 1968, he was a Manchester cabbie, and he took part in this event every year.
This was despite us being a bit short of money, with six kids to feed.
He also did a lot for the Church, like collecting the Sunday takings from several churches in the locality and taking into town to the bank for them, free of charge.

It wouldn’t be difficult for truck drivers to give up a little time for others in a similar way.
The problem would be traffic commisioners. There is no way they would give an excemption from the weekend break.