5th wheel failure

What about when you thought you had crushed someone only to find out the place where the trailer came to rest made false arms and legs :grimacing: :grimacing:

philberg182:
What about when you thought you had crushed someone only to find out the place where the trailer came to rest made false arms and legs :grimacing: :grimacing:

Yer it was a bad 10 mins that one cpt chubbs, seeing a leg and a arm under the front of the trailer i thought i had killed some one that day… trust me tho ey to run into a artifical limb company :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: of all places to run into.

philberg182:

haha!! that made me laugh out loud phil!! brilliant mate! :grimacing: :grimacing:

kindle530:

philberg182:

haha!! that made me laugh out loud phil!! brilliant mate! :grimacing: :grimacing:

But it is true kindle, its not a whind up that

globby 480:

kindle530:

philberg182:

that makes it even funnier!

kindle530:

globby 480:

kindle530:

philberg182:

that makes it even funnier!

Yer its funny now but at the time it wasnt belive me seeing a arm and a leg under the kin pin plate, was pooooooing myself for about 10 mins till; i was told it was a artifical limb company, As i say i thought i had killed someone

Conor:

commonrail:
i once watched a tr fall off the back of a unit in one of our customers yard,we got the tr back on it`s feet and reattached only for it to nearly come off again.
we went through the coupling routine again but this time i went underneath to have a look,the bar that closes behind the pin had only come half way across so that when the tug test was carried out all appeared fine,but when the outfit started to corner the tr broke loose.
a few days earlier the same driver had lost his tr at a different customers yard when he reported it to the garage they said it was down to driver error :imp:

But the dog clip shouldn’t go in unless the pin has gone all the way across. The only way to end up with that happening is to not bother checking the 5th wheel handle is where it should be - if the bar has only gone part way across, so has the pull handle as they’re connected.

they may be connected but via linkages its not a single piece of steel,trust me i got in close when he hooked up the second time and the handle was where it should have been.
p.s. the 5th wheel was then replaced

If you disect a Fifth Wheel, you will see how they work, they don’t let go unless they are coupled up correctly AND there is no wear…

fifthwheel.com/video-technology-leader.html

globby 480:
This is what you get with a faulty 5th wheel!!! dont i no :confused: lucky no one was hurt in this, was down to broken springs, the safety clip was still intact but the arm had shot over the saftey clip!! my only saving grace was i had a witnesss who saw it all and also the saftey chain still in place pheeeeeeeeeeew :grimacing: and its resting place wad straight through a main gas line inside the unit as well. these have been posted before as well

Theres a Screw on the Side where Garage adjusts the fifth Wheel afyer some Time.Normally you put a kingpin in,close Fifth Wheel and turn it on.but if you put a used Kingpin in and turn it on it will be too much and the turning trailer of one of next Bends will have enough Grip on the Locking-Bolt to open it,with the Handle going over the Safety Clip.
Normally,if you are lucky you will hear a Bang or more often a Bang,when the turning King-Pin opens the fifthwheel,but just a little and not fully,and it closes again.As on you thats for me a failure of your Technician.

Wheel Nut:
If you disect a Fifth Wheel, you will see how they work, they don’t let go unless they are coupled up correctly AND there is no wear…

Ask your Technician about the big Screw with second nut on it at Site of Fifth Wheel

Lovlyperson:

Wheel Nut:

Ask your Technician about the big Screw with second nut on it at Site of Fifth Wheel

She is the secretary!

Lovlyperson:

globby 480:
This is what you get with a faulty 5th wheel!!! dont i no :confused: lucky no one was hurt in this, was down to broken springs, the safety clip was still intact but the arm had shot over the saftey clip!! my only saving grace was i had a witnesss who saw it all and also the saftey chain still in place pheeeeeeeeeeew :grimacing: and its resting place wad straight through a main gas line inside the unit as well. these have been posted before as well

Theres a Screw on the Side where Garage adjusts the fifth Wheel afyer some Time.Normally you put a kingpin in,close Fifth Wheel and turn it on.but if you put a used Kingpin in and turn it on it will be too much and the turning trailer of one of next Bends will have enough Grip on the Locking-Bolt to open it,with the Handle going over the Safety Clip.
Normally,if you are lucky you will hear a Bang or more often a Bang,when the turning King-Pin opens the fifthwheel,but just a little and not fully,and it closes again.As on you thats for me a failure of your Technician.

Think if you read the post, it says it was down to broken springs nothing to do with adjustment on the jaws of the 5th wheel, this 5th wheel was taken apart by the police indicent unit all was ok apart from the springs breaking causing movements in the jaws :wink: