52 mph

I don’t bother flashing anymore now ,end up with RSI :laughing:
Trucks have been knocked down to 52 mph and to hang the jobs out I’m now running at 50 mph and letting my wtd hours soar…
Screw it … :laughing:
People running at 56 should be able to tell they are well past me doing 50 mph .
Flashing every 1 minute or less does become annoying …

Peter Ball:
. I’m all for driving slower if you choose to, but you should be able to maintain the national speed limit, and why should everyone else be hindered by other peoples experiments?

You should also at all times be able to stop within a distance of what you can see ahead. That, like your ‘maintaining the national speed limit’ is, for the most part impossible of todays roads in anything other than sparse/quiet traffic times. In the case of hgv’s, its impossible with a correctly functioning speed limiter to maintain the national speed limit. There’s several other anomalies, i won’t bore you with them. You don’t need experiments to be hindered on a motorway, .

Apparently companies are getting a tax break from the government if they limit their trucks to 52. This is why all of our new DAFs have been limited at that speed.

Only going on what I heard.

so its not the case of mph now its bph or (bulbs per hour) now lol :laughing:

and are our irish cousins having to put up with same i bet not, time to jump waters :slight_smile:

Quinny:

howatsi:

The Graduate:
Our 57reg Daf XF105s (DHL) will do 89km/h on the accelerator pedal but only 85km/h on the cruise control! Is this a factory setting or something DHL have specified - anyone know?

Concur our 105s are the same, don’t know the reason why though? :confused:

Been in a 57 plate XF 105 410 today,and that did 56 on the pedal and the cruise.

And it was lovely.

Ken.

Some of our coaches do 102 kph on the pedal and on the cruise. The best ones can reach this speed in just over 20 seconds from a standing start. 5 speed zf auto box. Lovely too. :slight_smile:

Quinny:
What is the current trend towards 52mph?

I know that Maritime,Hanbury’s,and some of the other East Anglian container companies have been doing it for ages,but now one of my agency’s customers have done it to all their trucks,and I know of others that are doing it as well.

Have I missed something in law here?

I wouldn’t have thought they would benefit that much in the way of fuel consumption,as some of the automatics I have driven,are up and down the gearbox like a fiddlers elbow,as they see 52 as too slow for 12th,yet too fast for 11th,so surely fuel consumption can’t be any better.

Any ideas?

Ken.

saving Fuel consumtion by doin 50mph against 56mph

could be container boys limited to 85 cos thats nearer the speed limit for the road they use the most