52 mph

Hi

Shrek wrote:
There’s the obvious safety implications of trucks going slower too…when cars speeds are much higher and regularly cruise at between 70 and 85 mph, their closing speed on trucks is 20 to 35 mph (and that’s just the sensible ones). That needs extra concentration and care on behalf of everyone.

I agree with Shrek but would add, I would not feel comfortable not being able to keep up with the flow of traffic. If you drove round on your test consistently 4 to 6 k under the speed limit, you would fail for not making sufficient progress. Also when you move into the middle lane on a motorway, would you be open to a charge of obstruction, for restricting the flow of traffic? if you were unable to move back in quickly, you could end up with a fair old queue behind you. I’m all for driving slower if you choose to, but you should be able to maintain the national speed limit, and why should everyone else be hindered by other peoples experiments?

Denis F:

Coffeeholic:
When i had my own truck and would run at 50 - 52 mph. Testing identical runs at different speeds but with everything else the same, weather, weight of load, time of day, trailer, etc, the lower speed was worth between 1 - 2 MPG compared to running at 56, and that applied with both manual and auto boxed vehicles.

1 - 2 mpg even with just the one truck was a good few quid extra in my pocket at the end of the year.

There are other benefits as well, such as keeping you out of the ‘I’m doing 0.25 kph more than you so I must overtake’ situations.

Saves money and is a far more relaxing drive so I’m not seeing the downside.

sounds good to me, shall be doing that in a minute,heading home from cardiff trying to use as little diesel as possible :wink:

can’t see any difference if your’e hourly paid either - more hours = more pay :wink: wonder if the fuel saving covers it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Good point

I really don’t mind doing a slower speed, what bothers me is when the limiter is all surge and lack - rubbish.

Last 3 weeks I’ve had a wagon that’ll do 85kph for 5mins, then slow down to 80, I have no cruise control, so I’m constantly dancing on and off the throttle… god-■■■■ pain it is…

Today I had a wagon that would sit happily at 88-89KPH (though a sticker says v-max 85kph :unamused: )…

Kenny1975:
Problem is as well if the truck’s set to 52mph the chances are its prob doing 48-50mph in reality.

I think that’s right as well.
I have just been given a brand new MAN 26.400. The last 2 nights I set my satnav for limited speed of 56mph, arrival time was 12.30am (Trafford Park to Luton, usually takes me 3 hrs 15mins). Slowly but surely during the journey the arrival time increased by 7 mins. 12.37am I got there.
My lorry was not doing 56mph.
All our drivers (DHL) have said the same, these new units are not doing 56mph even though the cruise says 89kph. Drastically underpowered, lose everything going up a hill with any more than 9t on.

That would explain why I’ve gone caning past more motors recently.

Back to the speed thing, on the economical driving course I went on, 88KPH was mentioned as the sweet spot between economy and speed.

Sitting at 52 bores me ■■■■ less , nothing to do but drone away . No overtaking , nothing to keep you alert , just droning away and being buffeted by overtaking trucks . Been more tired at 52 than I have ever been .

Maybe not the greatest of pictures but if you can make it out 4hrs 29mins on the digi tacho doing a trunk down to Manchester to swap trailers.

Thats the problem that used to be about 4hrs 05 mins on an analogue which was set more realistically at about 55-56mph.

Then we had decent Volvo’s with digi cards truck sitting again about 55mph doing the run in about 4hrs 15mins, even with the two minutes added on for moving for 10 seconds nonsense.

This bellow is a MAN TGA supposed to be limited to 85kmph but typical of MAN’s calibration is a lot lower, prob more like 48mph-50mph.

Now 4hrs 29mins to do this run and that was letting it go down the hills to try and get a bit of extra speed and trying not to let the stop coming up to roundabouts or any traffic lights so as not to add on 2mins!

Ok can sit and say well get paid by the hour, not a problem. But it is a problem if some in the Transport office are picky and say well you had to take two 45min breaks so thats 1hr30mins we are taking off you, the kinda company that wants to maybe save 1mpg by lowering their truck speeds are usually the kinda companies that would pull that crap.

Even if the run is taking an extra 15mins paid by the hour there is easier ways to get an extra 15mins pay everynight if you really need it. Its not so bad if your trunk is only a 3 hour trunk the extra time you maybe think well thats extra cash in your pocket but when your talking about the longer trunks its becoming stress you don’t need.

Plus as Paul above says i do find the lower speeds, more boring and is kinda depressing watching everyone else go flying past you as if you are standing still. Makes it feel like a much longer night.

Plus as well industry wise i don’t think its that healthy for the industry if it means trunks like Glasgow to Manchester are going to start becoming 10 hour journeys or overnights. Might as well pack up your bag and get a job on the rails because thats were your job is gonna be heading.

get will betz or someone in who don’t have any limiters

Um, yeah, ok, where did you get that idea from then?
Or could it just be that you might have been told that by some bloke on the boat…

Our 57reg Daf XF105s (DHL) will do 89km/h on the accelerator pedal but only 85km/h on the cruise control! So if you want that extra 4km/h you’ve got to pay for it by keeping your right foot planted on the pedal. Unless I’m in a tight time situation I don’t usually bother. Is this a factory setting or something DHL have specified - anyone know?

The Graduate:
Our 57reg Daf XF105s (DHL) will do 89km/h on the accelerator pedal but only 85km/h on the cruise control! Is this a factory setting or something DHL have specified - anyone know?

Concur our 105s are the same, don’t know the reason why though? :confused:

howatsi:

The Graduate:
Our 57reg Daf XF105s (DHL) will do 89km/h on the accelerator pedal but only 85km/h on the cruise control! Is this a factory setting or something DHL have specified - anyone know?

I had 2 volvos that were cc set to 85 and limited to 88. The dealer did this deliberately. I simply asked for the cc to be increased to 88. They did it no cost.

howatsi:

The Graduate:

Been in a 57 plate XF 105 410 today,and that did 56 on the pedal and the cruise.

And it was lovely.

Ken.

howatsi:

Yes, i have drove a rental CF85 (57) last week and it too would do 89k with the pedal on the floor but just 85k with cruise on. Seemed a little under-geared too, nearly 1700rpm at 89km/hr.

Ive driven a 07 plate Daf CF last year was the same 85kmph on the cruise control and 90kmph if you put your foot down, no fun on a long trunk where your already pushed for time.

The Graduate:
Our 57reg Daf XF105s (DHL) will do 89km/h on the accelerator pedal but only 85km/h on the cruise control! So if you want that extra 4km/h you’ve got to pay for it by keeping your right foot planted on the pedal. Unless I’m in a tight time situation I don’t usually bother. Is this a factory setting or something DHL have specified - anyone know?

Not something DHL have specified. The '08 MANs do 89kph on both cruise and accelerator (not actually doing that but no increase when pressing accelerator)

Ronaldo:

The Graduate:

Not something DHL have specified. The '08 MANs do 89kph on both cruise and accelerator (not actually doing that but no increase when pressing accelerator)

DHL do not request certain settings from the manufacturers. We just get whatever the dealer concerned has set them at.

I’ve had just about every manufacturer in my time with them, all the different marques seem different. Though there seems to be consistency within a particular vehicle type.

The slowest seem to be the Actros supplied by Orwell trucks. They sit at a true 84km/h, while showing ‘89km/h’

The fastest in recent years were the ‘03’ reg 420 Toplines supplied by Ro-Truck (now TruckEast). They were flying machines. I had a couple of them for longish periods. They both did a true 90 km/h at an indicated 90km/h. But they were capable of much more, if you knew how…allegedly…of course.

[whistles and looks at the ground]

The Iveco Stralis and the Volvo FH both sit at about 89 km/h flat out at an indicated 90 km/h, the MANs and DAFs about 87 km/h at an indicated 89 km/h.

Our 5 tonne transit has been limited to 54mph is stupid but my 1823 atego does 54mph or in euro 89kmh and Fully loaded on the M53 I can beat the transtit for Elesmere port to Moreton every time.

I told my boss I dont care keep me in the 1823 and sell the ■■■■■■

i run my own truck and find running at 52mph vert relaxing on m0torway, no in and out of traffic all the time,just sit there and flash ppl in

Coffeeholic:
When i had my own truck and would run at 50 - 52 mph. Testing identical runs at different speeds but with everything else the same, weather, weight of load, time of day, trailer, etc, the lower speed was worth between 1 - 2 MPG compared to running at 56, and that applied with both manual and auto boxed vehicles.

1 - 2 mpg even with just the one truck was a good few quid extra in my pocket at the end of the year.

There are other benefits as well, such as keeping you out of the ‘I’m doing 0.25 kph more than you so I must overtake’ situations.

Saves money and is a far more relaxing drive so I’m not seeing the downside.

So you must spend all day flashing :smiley: Maybe you should hook up with lankeytim as he seems to like that sort of thing.

aidey:
So you must spend all day flashing :smiley: Maybe you should hook up with lankeytim as he seems to like that sort of thing.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Classic!!!