Aldi class 1 job interview

Hi all so got my first class 1 job interview this week just been doing class 2 stuff so taking the plunge does anyone ever work for them that can give me some info on them it’s the bathgate depot

I’ve spoken to some Asda drivers who all seem to say to stay clear of Aldi.

They accept that sometimes the hourly rates are better but you’re expected to do much more manual work than say Asda or Tesco drivers, for example, such as loading and unloading your own wagon, multi drops etc.

Hopefully you’ll get someone with first hand Aldi experience :slight_smile:

FlashMcRack:

They accept that sometimes the hourly rates are better but you’re expected to do much more manual work than say Asda or Tesco drivers, for example, such as loading and unloading your own wagon, multi drops etc.

Multi drop at Aldi??All loading/unloading via loading bay use electrical pumptruck?What hard with this?

Andrejs:

FlashMcRack:

Multi drop at Aldi??All loading/unloading via loading bay use electrical pumptruck? What hard with this?

Exactly. I know a couple of drivers that have been working out of Swindon rdc for years and it seems that the job is not that bad at all.

And it will make you great at blind-side reversing, even the new stores I’ve seen have the loading dock at the ‘German-designed’ end of the buildings…

Andrejs:

FlashMcRack:

Multi drop at Aldi??All loading/unloading via loading bay use electrical pumptruck?What hard with this?

Yes, multi drop at Aldi.

Hello, ex Aldi driver here… :sunglasses:
Worked out of Swindon, 9 months in 2000 and 2 weeks in 2015.

Trailers tend to be loaded, you have typically two or three shops on a run. You tip yourself at the store, and reload returns and cardboard etc. On return to depot, you tip the returns, and go for a second run (time permitting, not often.), or fuel and park.

In 2000, the trailer and unit were not uncoupled, and you loaded your trailer before you went out. That is no longer the case. Trailers and units were immaculate in 2000, that is no longer the case.

You arrive at depot, go to planning, collect your delivery notes, keyes for shop if doing late/night deliveries, and check for last minute pallets that have not been loaded earlier. DO NOT FORGET… :grimacing: . Get unit, do walk around (the alround cameras run up to 20 minutes after you switch off the ignition), find trailer, do walk around check, note ALL damage on sheet.
Go to first shop, did you take the keys? Thread around parking area/parked cars/bollards/trees/shoppers/drunks (delete as appropriate,other hazards are available), then blindside reverse onto awkward loading dock. Go in, and open shutter.
Move pallets/rubbish/flowers/bread baskets/rubbish from loading ramp. Dont make eye contact with store staff. DO NOT ask for assistance, as abuse may be offered.
Play Chinese puzzles with pallets on trailer and one free space in warehouse… dont forget the chilled and/or frozen stuff on the front, behind your second and/or third drop… :blush: . Reload with returns, empty pallets (they must be stacked by the store in stacks of similar type…hahahahahaha), rubbish etc. Close shutters, leave paperwork, try to get out of the car park.
Go to second shop, and repeat as above.

Wait, at the second shop, the returns etc from the first shop are in the way. This is the queens gambit version of the Chinese puzzle game.

On nights, you open the door, switch off the alarm, and proceed as above. During day deliveries, you dont need keys, obviously.

Most shops have level docks, but some have scissor lifts. They are a proper pain.

Watch out for the free day working scam… Aldi pay monthly, based on 147 hours, iirc. If you do an extra day or two early in the month, they are not unknown to keep you hours low in the last week, so your total hours for the month stay around 147 hours… :imp:

Blame culture was invented, and honed to a fine point, by Aldi. Management is always looking for somebody to blame for something. They even treat their own drivers like a necessary evil.

Canteen is machines only, no kitchen.

Enjoy

I worked for Aldi for about a year. It was not my cup of tea. Your best bet is to try it yourself and not listen to advice on here. It’s a marmite job.

Andrejs:

So that’s obviously what the job description will clearly state.Otherwise there can be a lot of scope for blurred lines between a pallet truck and a pallet and a pallet load and a truck load deck and a loading bay and a warehouse and a stockroom and a shop shelf.
So at exactly what demarcation point does the warehouse operative’s job end and the truck driver’s job start and vice versa.
Always an issue anyway when the premise goes from a larger truck to take more load further more economically to taking more different drops over a short distance.People generally get a class 1 for the former.

Andrejs:

FlashMcRack:

Bear in mind that these are Asda drivers telling me this… they get a loaded wagon, drive it to store and watch as someone else unloads it. To them, Aldi means actually grafting :smiley:

I haven’t heard much, but I believe it is a shift rotation to take your share of weekends. Sometimes I think it would be better to recruit for constant days of the week and then those who don’t mind weekends can do them constantly and get paid enhanced for it. Doesn’t seem to be the way Aldi work though.

Noremac:
those who don’t mind weekends can do them constantly and get paid enhanced for it. .

Is there any job or employer or agency that offers weekend work for enhanced pay?

FlashMcRack:

Andrejs:

FlashMcRack:

Bear in mind that these are Asda drivers telling me this… they get a loaded wagon, drive it to store and watch as someone else unloads it. To them, Aldi means actually grafting :smiley:

At Asda on ambient they might get unloaded but only if on friendly terms with back of house staff…

Chilled delivery’s the driver unloads & reloads with help from back of house staff.

Do x2 chilled deckers in a shift with full reload you will have earned your money.

the nodding donkey:
Yes, multi drop at Aldi.

Hello, ex Aldi driver here… :sunglasses:
Worked out of Swindon, 9 months in 2000 and 2 weeks in 2015.

Trailers tend to be loaded, you have typically two or three shops on a run. You tip yourself at the store, and reload returns and cardboard etc. On return to depot, you tip the returns, and go for a second run (time permitting, not often.), or fuel and park.

In 2000, the trailer and unit were not uncoupled, and you loaded your trailer before you went out. That is no longer the case. Trailers and units were immaculate in 2000, that is no longer the case.

You arrive at depot, go to planning, collect your delivery notes, keyes for shop if doing late/night deliveries, and check for last minute pallets that have not been loaded earlier. DO NOT FORGET… :grimacing: . Get unit, do walk around (the alround cameras run up to 20 minutes after you switch off the ignition), find trailer, do walk around check, note ALL damage on sheet.
Go to first shop, did you take the keys? Thread around parking area/parked cars/bollards/trees/shoppers/drunks (delete as appropriate,other hazards are available), then blindside reverse onto awkward loading dock. Go in, and open shutter.
Move pallets/rubbish/flowers/bread baskets/rubbish from loading ramp. Dont make eye contact with store staff. DO NOT ask for assistance, as abuse may be offered.
Play Chinese puzzles with pallets on trailer and one free space in warehouse… dont forget the chilled and/or frozen stuff on the front, behind your second and/or third drop… :blush: . Reload with returns, empty pallets (they must be stacked by the store in stacks of similar type…hahahahahaha), rubbish etc. Close shutters, leave paperwork, try to get out of the car park.
Go to second shop, and repeat as above.

Wait, at the second shop, the returns etc from the first shop are in the way. This is the queens gambit version of the Chinese puzzle game.

On nights, you open the door, switch off the alarm, and proceed as above. During day deliveries, you dont need keys, obviously.

Most shops have level docks, but some have scissor lifts. They are a proper pain.

Watch out for the free day working scam… Aldi pay monthly, based on 147 hours, iirc. If you do an extra day or two early in the month, they are not unknown to keep you hours low in the last week, so your total hours for the month stay around 147 hours… :imp:

Blame culture was invented, and honed to a fine point, by Aldi. Management is always looking for somebody to blame for something. They even treat their own drivers like a necessary evil.

Canteen is machines only, no kitchen.

Enjoy

Before I do the vehicle check can you just run through everything again a few times from collect delivery notes.

Look on the bright side we’ve decided to get rid of the pallets it’s all handball now and we’ve agreed on your behalf that you’re still going to tip and load it all.
youtube.com/watch?v=SthjmzI2s7Q

drover:

FlashMcRack:

Andrejs:

FlashMcRack:

At Asda on ambient they might get unloaded but only if on friendly terms with back of house staff…

Chilled delivery’s the driver unloads & reloads with help from back of house staff.

Do x2 chilled deckers in a shift with full reload you will have earned your money.

One friend talk who at Asda must use tail lift or this scissor lift.And push cage till door.Shop staff take only from door.

Atherstone RDC I am told the runs are mainly local these days,2-3 loads a day.
Aldi is not for “steering wheel attendants” who are frightened to do nothing more than open the back doors and back on a deck,or a job for the “workshy”.
They don`t seem to lose many good Drivers who are prepared to work.
Work is the main criteria at Aldi

FlashMcRack:

Some drivers are just bone idle though :laughing:

drover:

FlashMcRack:

Andrejs:

FlashMcRack:

Yes, sorry, my comment was ambient-based as I only ever see the ambient drivers due to my later start time. The chill guys do seem to have more manual work.

In fact a couple of the drivers on ambient open the wagon, reverse up to bay, ensure the dock leveller is set properly and then disappear to their cab until the warehouse guy is finished. They are supposed to “Oversee” the delivery unloading.

Not bad, multiple “I heard that” comments, one ex driver commenting, one ex driver saying its a marmite job, and a swift derail onto the work practices at Asda

All is well in the world :grimacing:

lolipop:
Atherstone RDC I am told the runs are mainly local these days,2-3 loads a day.
Aldi is not for “steering wheel attendants” who are frightened to do nothing more than open the back doors and back on a deck,or a job for the “workshy”.
They don`t seem to lose many good Drivers who are prepared to work.
Work is the main criteria at Aldi

You mean ‘drivers’ who don’t actually like driving far but who enjoy being a warehouse labourer.Maybe you need to revise your definition of a steering wheel attendant.

There was a diary posted a few years back, it’s from Lidl, but I believe they work in a similar fashion.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … y#p1744465