Yodel to close at Shaw Near Oldham [Corrected]

Mod’s edit:
I have received the following message from Yodel on 23/04/2018:
“To clarify Yodel will remain in Shaw and NO Yodel jobs are at risk. I would therefore be grateful if you could remove or update this post.”

The rest of this topic should be read in light of the update above. dd.

Bad news for all drivers and warehouse staff in Shaw, Chadderton and Bolton.

The company which has operations at Linney Lane in Shaw (Shop Direct’s national distribution centre), the Raven mill in Chadderton, and Little Hulton, near Bolton is to close all three sites.

Combined, the three sites occupy 1.53 million sq ft of space and employ 1,177 permanent employees and 815 agency workers.

They are moving to a purpose built 500,000 sq ft distribution centre in the East Midlands, which will be fully operational by 2021.

Full article here on the Oldham Evening Chronicle website

The only people pleased about this will be to local residents who have been complaining to the local council for years about the truck movements through Shaw.

Well at the end of the day, it looks like they finally got what they wanted. :frowning:

Yodel.jpg

The Scottish drivers will have to drive faster then. Perhaps a black 90 in a red circle will mean 90 mph :smiley:

It’s very sad for the people losing their jobs. Of course it is.

However, looking at it from the other side I’ve tipped at both shaw and little hulton, can’t speak for the third one, and when you look at modern RDCs they aren’t really fit for purpose if we’re being honest. So from a business point of view only I can see why.

From a personal point of view then I’m sorry to anyone who will be out of work, and if your on here I hope you find something else easily.

How long until the people of Shaw start complaining that their parcels are taking longer to arrive?

And I will bet the new DC will be on the land that they are currently working on next to East Midlands airport.

Ken.

Quinny:
And I will bet the new DC will be on the land that they are currently working on next to East Midlands airport.

Ken.

According to the local paper tonight, you are spot on Ken… :wink:

500 jobs apparently…

I wonder if this will eventually affect the Willenhall distribution centre ?

Sent from my mobile.

tachograph:
I wonder if this will eventually affect the Willenhall distribution centre ?

Sent from my mobile.

Used to work opposite it some of the agency warehouse bods went to yodel on the promise of “better money and working conditions” they lasted 5 days from what they said its a shambles no pay shifts or any management with more than 1 brain cell,got 3 sites in willenhall,ones a "transport office and yard to park trucks,ones the sorting centre and 1 is where thier "computer " plans the runs when it goes ■■■■ up the monkey answering the phone just says “the computer said its ok so that’s it” then carry on playing on thier phones in thier pointy shoes.
They couldn’t run a bath let alone a parcel hub

Isn’t it Shop Direct that is closing three sites in Manc and Oldham? They are opening a new modern distribution centre in the Midlands.
Will affect companies in North West who bring the import containers in. Employs a lot of drivers. Bad news for lots of people. Always liked seeing those old mills busy. What will happen to them? Are they listed?

Yodel has been losing millions of pounds a year for a few years now, so there sister company/ biggest customer consolidating its outbound and returns in one facility, makes business sense.

Unfortunately the loyal workers (some with 30 years service) don’t count.

They used to have a guy at Raven Mill (returns processing) who had operated the lift for 40 years he even had a plaque from the lift company in the lift!

Janos:
Always liked seeing those old mills busy. What will happen to them? Are they listed?

Very much doubt it.
They will be left to go in total disrepair, become an eyesore, then sold off for housing as is the norm with old mills in the area.

shaw (1).jpg

Janos:
Isn’t it Shop Direct that is closing three sites in Manc and Oldham? They are opening a new modern distribution centre in the Midlands.
Will affect companies in North West who bring the import containers in. Employs a lot of drivers. Bad news for lots of people. Always liked seeing those old mills busy. What will happen to them? Are they listed?

There is a new railhead going in on the same site, so that should sort the box deliveries out…

A new Lidl DC going up within a few miles of this development, and Nestle + Amazon also taking mega sheds on the same site as Shop Direct / Yodel … :open_mouth:

Going to be interesting around this part of the midlands pretty soon… :wink:

moomooland:

Janos:
Always liked seeing those old mills busy. What will happen to them? Are they listed?

Very much doubt it.
They will be left to go in total disrepair, become an eyesore, then sold off for housing as is the norm with old mills in the area.

There’s usually an accidental fire that ends the mills :blush: :open_mouth:

Punchy Dan:

moomooland:

Janos:

Very much doubt it.

Normally started by Fred Dibnah with a bit of timber wedged into his cutaways in those big chimneys. What would H&S make of that today.

Janos:

Punchy Dan:

moomooland:

Janos:

Very much doubt it.

Normally started by Fred Dibnah with a bit of timber wedged into his cutaways in those big chimneys. What would H&S make of that today.

Or a certain dodgy kitchen retailer, allegedly;-)

Same retailer still owes me £400 :open_mouth: ,every dog has his day :laughing:

Quinny:

Ken.

The new UPS hub is being built there as well.

Shaw gorbies get their way.

Is this the place where most folk from DHL Risley moved to after Yodel took over then shut up shop? I used to do a midnight til 9 night trunk. Nice easy shift with good people when I got there (except the St Helens supporters :laughing:). Hope they get something sorted.

In next 5-10 years will be closed plenty small and medium warehouse and builder big one.I think as well Tesco will closed some Bookers.Will not surprised if Sainsbury closed some Argos.