Driving Licence Issue Number

For some rather bizarre reason which I can’t quite understand, a haulier who the agency have put me on for a few times lately make me fill out a form every day, and one of the things they ask for is my driving licence issue number. I wasn’t even entirely sure what this number meant, but a quick Google suggests the obvious, it is the number of driving licences you have been issued with since first obtaining a licence.

So when you pass a test for a new category of vehicle, renew an LGV licence, replace a lost licence, change address or anything requiring a new licence to be issued, then that number increases by 1.

Anyway, my number is 15, and I was curious as to who here has the highest issue number. I don’t know why, but I thought we could have a little competition to find out who has caused DVLA the most work over the years.

So any advance on 15? :wink:

I can’t compete with 15, I’m only on issue 06.

How odd never knew what those two digits were for mine is 93 :laughing:

How on earth it has got up to 93 I have no idea, I am pretty sure I have not had my licence updated 93 times, are we sure it goes up in 1’s.

simcor:

How on earth it has got up to 93 I have no idea, I am pretty sure I have not had my licence updated 93 times, are we sure it goes up in 1’s.

According to this it does.

uktrans.info/attachments/articl … 011281.pdf

E = This is the licence issue number, which will increase by
one with every licence issued.

Evening harry. I think there might be a problem with the way the issue number is produced according to what you are saying in your post as I’ve worked out that I’m currently on issue 19 or 20 since i applied for my provisional back in 86 and the issue number on my card is 86 and it has always been 86 on every licence I’ve ever held.

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

Harry Monk:

simcor:

According to this it does.

uktrans.info/attachments/articl … 011281.pdf

E = This is the licence issue number, which will increase by
one with every licence issued.

Not saying I don’t believe it and it says it in black and white but how one earth have I had mine updated 93 times. I have had my licence 22 years in Dec just gone so an average of 4 updates per year. I mean I did have a period when I was 18 where i moved house a lot and had to send it off for points to be added every now and then plus getting new paper counterparts as they tended to fall to bits quite quickly with me as I always carried them folded up in my wallet.

I just can’t see how it’s got up to 93.

Well I never knew that Harry! Everydays a school day as they say. Well if I did know I’d forgotten. And being an ex hgv instructor as well, I should have known :blush: :blush: . Anyway mines 45, can’t think why, 4 changes of address, 3 tests, and lost it once, (misplaced, not banned).

Is it maybe to check up on duplicates? Ie, an impending ban/points and conveniently a driver ‘loses’ his current licence and on conviction hands in his old one? Just a thought…its how my mind works… :stuck_out_tongue:

62, wtf?

It’s also another way of checking a licence. So if someone supplies an old (but in date) photocard on the surface it seems legit so you go online and check and the issue number should match. If it doesn’t there’s an issue which usually involves a call to DVLA. Instances where I’ve personally seen this happen when recruiting at my old place are when a driver loses vocational qualifications on medical grounds but then don’t declare it hoping they squeeze through because on the face of it they have a valid licence.

This guy didn’t get the job but he did get hired somewhere else driving school buses. Until I told his boss

lizard:
Evening harry. I think there might be a problem with the way the issue number is produced according to what you are saying in your post as I’ve worked out that I’m currently on issue 19 or 20 since i applied for my provisional back in 86 and the issue number on my card is 86 and it has always been 86 on every licence I’ve ever held.

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

Interesting seems like it was supposed to be done like that according to the info given but seems it may not be the case.

Odd you got your provisional back in 86 and your issue number is also 86.

I was 17 in Oct 1994 yet my issue number is 93 very close to the same as the year I first got my provisional also.

simcor:

lizard:

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

Interesting seems like it was supposed to be done like that according to the info given but seems it may not be the case.

Odd you got your provisional back in 86 and your issue number is also 86.

I was 17 in Oct 1994 yet my issue number is 93 very close to the same as the year I first got my provisional also.

Harry must of got his back 1915 then lol

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

jbaz73:
62, wtf?

Pfft try 93 like me see above though it seems it may not accurately reflect your amount of licences actually issued at all.

Mine shows 93 on my license and online but I know I have not had 93 licences issued.

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … cences.pdf
Page three.
E: This is the licence issue number which will increase
by one with every licence issued. This is not part
of the driver number.
That`s from the DVLA themselves.

I`m on 25.

Franglais:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/660862/ins57p-information-on-driving-licences.pdf
Page three.
of the driver number.

I`m on 25.

We are fully aware that is why the DVLA say it increases by 1 every time a new licence has been issued, but in some cases that is clearly not the case. I had not had my license updated 93 times in 22 years, that would be an average of 4.22 times a year I had it updated which is clearly not the case as is the same for some other people as posted above.

Franglais:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/660862/ins57p-information-on-driving-licences.pdf
Page three.
of the driver number.

I`m on 25.

Can you account for 25 licence changes off the top of your head?

85…

No way I’ve been issued 85 licences.

Incidentally, I’ve noticed mine says cat A motor cycle licence. I’ve never taken a bike test in my life. Why does my licence appear to say I have?

I am guessing here but as far I can remember mine has always been 93 from memory as well as posted by another poster.

I would expect that the number used to be different and has been changed at some point hence the differing numbers people have.

I guess age and what year you got your first provisional may lead to a clue here as to why some are low numbers and some are high numbers.

simcor:

jbaz73:
62, wtf?

Pfft try 93 like me see above though it seems it may not accurately reflect your amount of licences actually issued at all.

Mine shows 93 on my license and online but I know I have not had 93 licences issued.

Yes, it seems a bit strange, Tachograph has said he is on issue number 06, but provisional car, full car, provisional HGV and full HGV would take that up to 04 on their own. I don’t know how old Tachgraph is, but the renewal at 45 would take it up to 05, and most people have changed address at least a couple of times.