Waite and son scania 81 sleeper

Hi, came across this when I was searching the web for some old round oak motors photos. I was quite shocked when I saw EFD68T as my dads Round Oak Motors scania 111 sleeper was EFD69T, started out as a 4 wheel unit and later had a tag axle fitted. I asked my father if Round Oak had a EFD68T and he is very definate that they did not, hope this helps…

i saw this parked in southampton a few weeks ago it looks like its been restored but its not a factory sleeper so does anyone know the history of this little beauty

That’s a Dudley reg I think Carl,however didn’t Peter Bowker from Bridgnorth run some of those.There’s another firm from West Midlands that had them as well,black livery IIRC with perhaps yellow signwriting.

Chris Webb:
That’s a Dudley reg I think Carl,however didn’t Peter Bowker from Bridgnorth run some of those.There’s another firm from West Midlands that had them as well,black livery IIRC with perhaps yellow signwriting.

Where’s “H” to-night? and the attendant abuse!!! Anon.

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

I wondered that mesen Dennis,he’ll pick it up though,no bother. :smiley:

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

I wondered that mesen Dennis,he’ll pick it up though,no bother. :smiley:

He’s probably having a “tasting” of the “amber nectar” to-night Chris and will be ordering a couple of cases or three!!! Us peasants have to make do with a pint of Stones’s Cheers!!! Dennis.

Chris Webb:
That’s a Dudley reg I think Carl,**however didn’t Peter Bowker from Bridgnorth run some of those.**There’s another firm from West Midlands that had them as well,black livery IIRC with perhaps yellow signwriting.

Peter Bowker certainly did have some of these, and if this was one of his I’ll have a picture of it somewhere. I’ll see if I can dig it out this weekend, If not, I’ll ask the man himself :smiley:

Kate:

Chris Webb:
That’s a Dudley reg I think Carl,**however didn’t Peter Bowker from Bridgnorth run some of those.**There’s another firm from West Midlands that had them as well,black livery IIRC with perhaps yellow signwriting.

Peter Bowker certainly did have some of these, and if this was one of his I’ll have a picture of it somewhere. I’ll see if I can dig it out this weekend, If not, I’ll ask the man himself :smiley:

Glad I wasn’t having a senior moment Kate.The other company I was thinking of was Priest’s Transport.

That reg.number is bugging me :imp: I know Dudley iron and steel had a lot of 81’s with that FD number but I don’t remember them having sleeper cabs but of course at that time B+W Scania agents were based in Kingswinford so most from there had an FD number. Hope someone finds out that will drive me mad now! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Carl,

Its owned by a mate of mine who had bought it from a farm sale many years ago. Was bought and done up and showed at Truckfest. The inside is absolutely immaculate! Hasn’t been shown for several years and was stored in a barn on a farm in Shrewsbury until this year.

Dave picked it up a couple of months ago after the farm was sold and bought it down to his yard. He stuck a set of batteries on it and the old girl fired into life, though the clutch doesn’t work. As you can imagine loading and unloading off a low loader was interesting!! He is planning to do it back up and show it as and when time permits. I believe someone in Scania Nursling where his trucks are worked on has shown an interest in doing it.

Will try and find out a bit more of the history and let you know. If there is anything else you need to know let me know and I will ask the question!

James

cheers james :smiley: :wink: it would be nice to know the history,theres a 110 in that scania book with the same sleeper that was run by cadwalleder i memory serves me correct

dont care about its history i just want it.its a loverly little motor :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Should be able to speak to Dave tomorrow but not sure if he knows of the old girls history before he bought it. Will also try to speak to a contact in Scania to see if they can shed any light on it.

What makes you think it’s not a factory sleeper?

look at the wheel arches then find a pic of a 111 or 141 sleeper they go full lenght under the sleeper on the factory built 1 series scania mate

Trev_H:
That reg.number is bugging me :imp: I know Dudley iron and steel had a lot of 81’s with that FD number but I don’t remember them having sleeper cabs but of course at that time B+W Scania agents were based in Kingswinford so most from there had an FD number. Hope someone finds out that will drive me mad now! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Trev,didn’t Round Oak Motor Services run Scanias at one time.I used to backload off them in late 60s but I can’t recall what they ran then.I’m sure later on in the 70s they ran some Scanias?

Carl:
look at the wheel arches then find a pic of a 111 or 141 sleeper they go full lenght under the sleeper on the factory built 1 series scania mate

lots of 0 and 1 series Scanias had those arches fitted after the originals had rotted through, I think they where cheaper.

111 Scania 0285.jpg

Chris Webb:

Trev_H:

Trev,didn’t Round Oak Motor Services run Scanias at one time.I used to backload off them in late 60s but I can’t recall what they ran then.I’m sure later on in the 70s they ran some Scanias?

Yes Chris they did and the 110’s they had were all normally aspirated D11 engines which were quite rare.

Took this pic at a truck show in ■■■■■■■ back in 2001.

Evening Gentlemen, Chris W, Trev H, I do not recollect Round Oak running 80s, to my shame I sold them 205 ■■■■■■■ Atkinsons, ( a real Black Country mans lorry)! but for the life of me I cannot remember the ,“then” owners name. Long before Chris Foster became involved! Keep thinking that number plate reminds me of a Rounds vehicle, but it would not have been a sleeper, oh no! Could it have been a Peter Bowker one, a later conversion? Do not think it could have been Dudley Iron and Steel,I do not recollect them having any sleeper cabs, did they not have a superb livery, maroon red and creamy white. Trev H, who was your salesman with the “high pitched voice” who ended up running a second hand business from Dudleys yard? I think he went to New Zealand, and started to export Scania bits across to them, nice chap, tried to sell me a Rover 3litre converted into a motorcaravan!! Now that would have made my "Froggie"colleagues envious!! Cheerio for now.