Waite and son scania 81 sleeper

Saviem:
Evening Gentlemen, Chris W, Trev H, I do not recollect Round Oak running 80s, to my shame I sold them 205 ■■■■■■■ Atkinsons, ( a real Black Country mans lorry)! but for the life of me I cannot remember the ,“then” owners name. Long before Chris Foster became involved! Keep thinking that number plate reminds me of a Rounds vehicle, but it would not have been a sleeper, oh no! Could it have been a Peter Bowker one, a later conversion? Do not think it could have been Dudley Iron and Steel,I do not recollect them having any sleeper cabs, did they not have a superb livery, maroon red and creamy white. Trev H, who was your salesman with the “high pitched voice” who ended up running a second hand business from Dudleys yard? I think he went to New Zealand, and started to export Scania bits across to them, nice chap, tried to sell me a Rover 3litre converted into a motorcaravan!! Now that would have made my "Froggie"colleagues envious!! Cheerio for now.

I mentioned Priest’s Transport earlier,didn’t they run 81s? Can’t remember where exactly they were from,Black Country I’m sure,black livery with yellow writing :question:

well guess what i found another one at kingswinford truckshow today

Saviem:
Trev H, who was your salesman with the “high pitched voice” who ended up running a second hand business from Dudleys yard? I think he went to New Zealand, and started to export Scania bits across to them, nice chap, tried to sell me a Rover 3litre converted into a motorcaravan!! Now that would have made my "Froggie"colleagues envious!! Cheerio for now.

I can only remember Bill Wright, Ken Astbury and Stan Millward, there were others but memory has the better of me. While I worked there 80 85 or 81 86 sleepers were rare but of course that may well have started life as a day cab. Round oak had 1 or 2 80’s but they were non turbo rigids, the 80’s as rigids were extremely reliable and had non of the units problems. I agree the Dudley iron & steel livery was very smart.
Where did you work?, we seem to have been in the same circles.

I could be wrong but think that Scania did not make sleeper cab 80/81s they were all conversions.
Western Transport ran 1 sleeper which I think was converted by Locomotors at Andover.

Chris Webb:
I mentioned Priest’s Transport earlier,didn’t they run 81s? Can’t remember where exactly they were from,Black Country I’m sure,black livery with yellow writing :question:

Hi Chris, Priests were from Wordsley nr. Stourbridge, they were dark blue with yellow writing, they ran all 110’s 111’s didn’t have 81’s as I remember.

logger:
I could be wrong but think that Scania did not make sleeper cab 80/81s they were all conversions.
Western Transport ran 1 sleeper which I think was converted by Locomotors at Andover.

That’s my understanding as well, a mate of mine had an ex Chris Hudson 81 sleeper that looked like a factory job from the outside but inside it was obviously a conversion.

Ross.

Trev_H:

Chris Webb:

Hi Chris, Priests were from Wordsley nr. Stourbridge, they were dark blue with yellow writing, they ran all 110’s 111’s didn’t have 81’s as I remember.

Is it one of Priest’s at the back of the Mornflake Foden Trev, it hasn’t got a West Mids reg number though.
A Peter Davies photo.

Evening all, Bob Priest was a big IOM TT man, but I cannot remember his riders name. Did Bob not pass away, and the business was purchased by Roy Jones ,( Adam Jones) Blackheath. That cavernous yard, come garage I think is now a car repair establishment. Cheerio.

Heres my contribution :wink: this could be a Locomotors or a Unity conversion I think :confused:

Picture courtesy of Mike T

Saviem:
Evening all, Bob Priest was a big IOM TT man, but I cannot remember his riders name. Did Bob not pass away, and the business was purchased by Roy Jones ,( Adam Jones) Blackheath. That cavernous yard, come garage I think is now a car repair establishment. Cheerio.

Pretty sure he sponsored Tony Rutter on a 350cc Yamaha - father of present day Superbike rider, Michael Rutter.

lemonmouth:
Heres my contribution :wink: this could be a Locomotors or a Unity conversion I think :confused:

Picture courtesy of Mike T

This is a shot of one of a pair of long wheelbase 81 sleepers we ran! coments please? Bewick

This is a shot of one of the standard wheelbase 81 sleepers we ran. A new long wheelbase 81 sleeper just pulled into the depot at Milthorpe circa 1980 IIRC.

i had a 81 for 4 years wat a wounderfull little truck never let me down loved it