Saviem's fan club (Part 2)

Screenshot_20240309_173255_Lite
Was this one converted later, or did it left the works on those tiny wheels?

1 Like

Was this one converted later, or did it left the works on those tiny wheels?

On small wheels for low loading height-carried metal fabrications- staircases, balconies etc.

Possibly so the driver can see what’s coming as he crests a humpback bridge!

1 Like

Front driven Berliet Tekel.

1 Like

Austrian long noses; c. 1950.

1 Like

Saw this on a FB group, does anyone know what happened?

1 Like

On Wiki

The refinery is still there, just on the South side of Lyon.
Good road/rail/canal links to all of France… At one time all the F1 fuel came from there apparently.

I doubt anyone would choose to put one there today.

1 Like

Ta for the link! Was it ignited because the driver casually flicked the smoked up Gauloises out of the window?

1 Like

One can easily imagine that!

My very first trip was to Germany, with another driver leading the way. First coffee stop and there were two Gendarme Motards having a cool mid morning pression before going back to work.

2 Likes

Luc Court, a truck manufacturer based in Lyon. Closed in 1939.

1 Like

I was then aged 10, but still remember how strongly this disaster struck the opinion in France!

1 Like

Berliet GDM 10 on a road tarring site in my village in 1953.

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware of that incident until it was mentioned here.

Going around the Toulouse perif weeks after the AZF explosion in 2001 was an eye opener.

I have heard it said that if the Seven Sisters, the 7 gas pressure spheres at Fawley, went up it would flatten Southampton. Each of them seems to be approx 3 times the size of the French sphere.

On a slightly lighter note, and apologies if I’m getting even further off track…

We used to load bitumen from the plant on the southern end of the refinery, looking on google maps it appears to be there still.
Turned to load on a Monday morning but there was a problem, bitumen was spread all over the ground there. The plant operators on the weekend shift had and allowed a tank to spill over dumping molten bitumen on the ground, whilst they were watching a Dallas cliff-hanger!
No injuries, no lasting damage as it was a concrete standing.

2 Likes

Sovel electric delivery truck.

Old motors at the shows…and thanks to all those people who do it, at huge expense

1 Like

Mix of old ridged wagons

1 Like

Two famous old names seen in the 70s and 80s. Not sure if they’re both still going
Olloquiegue from Spain and Hungarocamion from Hungary

1 Like

Hungarocamion was privatised and became Waberers I think.

A couple of ex GBE drivers from Poole married Spanish girls and went for Olloquiegui I seem to remember.

Wow Fergie47, some great photos there. Thanks for posting them.