Saviem's fan club (Part 2)

Down the grave yards…

917627IMG0764

3530718342_5bf999ffa3

11780337396_3e0b9d922a

11780340406_0e33db28dc
berliet-glb-01

2 Likes

Excellent photos Fergie. You are becoming an expert on here. Thanks for making the effort.

1 Like

Not sure mate, but the view for upclose manoeuvering must have been second to none!

I didn’t like them one bit, nor did I like it’s follow-up. Glad I only had to struggle with them for about 6 months, after that I started on low loaders and never looked back.

I still rather sheet a load than to put it on a curtainsider.

So if you fancy them that much, there’s clearly something wrong with you…

1 Like

I fully agree with Herr Sutherland, Senior. You’re getting the taste of it😉

Various Saviem J series

6836803263_bd2bb919cb_o

Not long before we left our old village this was up for sale @ 2000 Euro, the owner had passed away. Another “Wish I had moment” It was in pretty good condition.

Nice selection.
And I do notice the different inner/outer headlights from the other day.

The 8th one, pale blue, peculiar number plate, what’s that one?
And on same vehicle the vertical orange/white lights, aren`t they to signify a load overhanging the front?

The third one (1284 QH 18) is a 1963 Saviem JL 20 which belonged to a friend. I arranged its sale to an enthusiast some 15 years ago. Here it is again under my friend’s shed.

1 Like

This still unfortunately happens; there are definitely still a few nasty trees hanging around here and there.

Bernard with Gardner engine hauling fresh fish.

2 Likes

Here’s another one Spardo, this one’s based on a Volvo chassis.

1 Like

Only €2000■■? Really■■? Man, you’ve should have given me a buzz about that!

Nice clean motor, could have done with a bit bigger mirrors though. My theory about nose connecting remains unproven though, it only has a tow pin rather than a full blown coupling.

Have you ever seen one in the flesh? I’d love to know the reason for such a screen, surely it can’t just be to avoid pedestrians crossing or avoid those instances when drivers have pushed cars broadside for miles unaware that they were there.

I see the wipers are actually fixed in the screen too.

Re the windows: on another site somewhere/sometime they were talking about double curved windscreens. It seems it is/was very expensive to produce complex curves in safety glass. The Yank-tanks of the sixties made quite a fuss about that it seems.
Anyway the truck in question has all flat glass it appears. The funny angles mightn’t be so apparent if it was all a single curved screen?

But the wipers mounted there? Peculiar.

But better than many that tried to prove Newton wrong by sweeping the water up to the top of the screen!

And it stood there for over a year before it was sold…

I put it up on this thread when I first saw it in the yard…

You wern’t paying attention young whippersnapper, too busy gazing out the window dreaming of Scammels.

1 Like

Coincidence there Froggy…small world…

The willème “shark nose” had its wioers mounted the same way.

1 Like

No mate, never saw one at a show or such, they must have been all schrapped I reckon. Pity though, nobody probably thought that these cabs were going to be very interesting decades later.

Well you know how I go mad when Scammell is being mentioned Senior!

What a missed opportunity though, I bet that with a little TLC, that would have been a stunner. I wonder who bought it?