Car learners on Motorways

tachograph:
Perhaps it’s time for a two part on-road driving test, first part normal driving and second part motorway driving.

Don’t Germans have to do this before they’re allowed on an Autobahn?

Quite possibly on the German front…

And on learners on the motorway? No, no, gods no. Please no…

Did I say no yet?

But a simple requirement for all drivers who pass their test to have a lesson on motorway driving would help. (Yes, a dual carriageway would suit in a pinch, or Norfolk, or Cornwall etc)

merc0447:
For me no too many people get taught by a friend or parent who themselves cant drive properly on a motorway and also the slightest mistake by the pupil could result in a horrific accident.

instead when you pass your driving test - it should be made mandatory to take the pass plus scheme.

Totally agree with you there pass plus scheme compulsory :bulb:

The Declaration:

merc0447:
For me no too many people get taught by a friend or parent who themselves cant drive properly on a motorway and also the slightest mistake by the pupil could result in a horrific accident.

instead when you pass your driving test - it should be made mandatory to take the pass plus scheme.

Totally agree with you there pass plus scheme compulsory :bulb:

Should certain restrictions be placed on the newly passed driver until they pass the PASS PLUS :question:

tachograph:
Perhaps it’s time for a two part on-road driving test, first part normal driving and second part motorway driving.

ROG:
I like your idea of the 2 part test much better :smiley: :smiley:

Agreed, if they’d tinkered with the car test to the same degree as the motorcycle test, we might actually see some improvements filtering through.

Conor:
My only worry is that I see a lot of learner cars on motorways being driven by instructors between jobs and the poor standard of driving worries me.

Totally agree.

Also,what about learner drivers in areas like the North of Scotland or some areas of Wales where there are no motorways;how do you propose to give them motorway training? The nearest motorway available to some-one living in Wick is almost 200 miles away at Perth.

ROG:
Should certain restrictions be placed on the newly passed driver until they pass the PASS PLUS :question:

No idea about the Pass Plus Scheme as I don’t know what it involves, but I think it’s time to re-think weather or not new drivers should be allowed on motorways until they’ve had some sort of training aimed specifically at motorway driving, weather that be a second test or compulsory none tested training … either would be an improvement on what we now have.

I agree with most comments.

Learners should have post test training and it should be compulsory.

They can get a pass plus course around my way for £120 half paid for by the road safety unit so that’s £60.

BUT guess what. How many take it up? very few . Why? because they have passed and they know it all. The ones who do take part are usually forced by their gardians. However as most parents moan that they have paid enough in the first place they won’t pay.

Sooff go the learners in their corsa and all hell breaks loose at the first bend.

Bends being the most common cause of death.

Allowing learners on the Mway would need considerable debate in gov bodies.

Mways are pretty easy to drive on and the transition from a DC is not too great. Again we are lucky as we have the A38 the A5 amongst others to play on.

I would agree with a proposal for post test Mway training, indeedI would agree with a second test as in a graduated licence scheme.

Thanks to Rog for bringing this debate to the fore.

Hi Okey.Yes it was me who said that a high standard has to be attained to pass a test, but we have to take account of some slipping through the net due to the DSA variance of keeping within 10% of targets.

So what you have is some who should pass don’t, and some who shouldn’t do. Nod,nod, :wink: :wink:

Oh dear Rog I hope not, traffic on Motorways is alot quicker, I know they have the same limit, but that’s the way it is, I’d go one step more and say no one on the motorway until they have 12 months on there licence, as they do in Canada.

Well as an ex-instructor i totally agree with the pass plus scheme but not all of my passed pupils took it,so i think it ought to be made compulsory for new drivers it helps alot and it will gain them experienced… :confused: :wink:

As for learners on motorways well mmmm… if its with a ADI and they are confident with dual carriageways maybe but not everyone in the UK has a motorway on there back door step :smiley: :smiley: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

they couldnt make it compulsory training though could they? long way to go for a lesson if you live in wick

If you are going to teach some one to drive should you not teach on all the different roads they are going to drive on. Or you could leave out the type of road that seems to frighten them the most. and then let them drive on it with no Idea of what they are doing, which of course is the present situaton.
Then we have the problem of who is going to instruct them because the current bunch of instructors haven’t a clue what they are doing.
I live on a test route and as some one else has said you can’t get down the road for them. They use my wifes car for reversing around and then get narky when I stand and watch them. If they want to teach some one to parralell park they should use thier own car not ours!
Please keep me off the subject of driving instructors most of them are so far up their own rear ends they have no idea whats going on.

Scarab:

xrayday:
What might be beneficial would be an hour spent on the passenger seat of a wagon.

…and a bus
and a tractor
and a pushbike
and a motorbike

Very True!
and a horse :laughing:

ROG:
It has been suggested by quite a few people, including me, that car learner drivers should be allowed onto the motorways where one is available.

I don’t mean on their first or even second day of instruction but more towards the end of their training.

My opinion is that they are allowed to do 70 on a dual which can have hazards such as cyclists and pedestrians which they should not encounter on motorways, therefore the motorway should be an easier place to drive.

By not letting car learners use the motorways I think it instills a false fear about them to many.

What are your views :question:

Agree with you ROG they can learn all the hazard awareness and planning skills on daul-carriageways. Motorways don’t have right turns were you have to cross the path of oncoming traffic travelling at 70 or 80 miles per hour or pedestrians or cyclist travelling at night without lights. Down here in Devon we very often see a horsedrawn caravan on the A30 between Exeter and Honiton.
I teach Pass Plus and generally find students have no problems on the motorway, but do have differculties with sliproads and motorway roundabouts.
When I teach Pass Plus only after 100 miles of driving we stop to discuss fatigue

knight:
If you are going to teach some one to drive should you not teach on all the different roads they are going to drive on. Or you could leave out the type of road that seems to frighten them the most. and then let them drive on it with no Idea of what they are doing, which of course is the present situaton.
Then we have the problem of who is going to instruct them because the current bunch of instructors haven’t a clue what they are doing.
I live on a test route and as some one else has said you can’t get down the road for them. They use my wifes car for reversing around and then get narky when I stand and watch them. If they want to teach some one to parralell park they should use thier own car not ours!
Please keep me off the subject of driving instructors most of them are so far up their own rear ends they have no idea whats going on.

And you do? :wink:

most of the time :laughing: :laughing:

mrpj:

tachograph:

Yes, it is a mandatory part of your training in Germany to drive on the Autobahn, also they have to do skid pan, basic maintenance like changing a flat tyre, road law and First Aid.

Dratsabasti:

mrpj:

tachograph:

Yes, it is a mandatory part of your training in Germany to drive on the Autobahn, also they have to do skid pan, basic maintenance like changing a flat tyre, road law and First Aid.

I also BELIEVE that all the training, on & off road, must be done with a qualified instructor - no mums, dads, friends etc…

I have lost count of the amount of times that dtiving instructors have pulled in front of me from a motorway slip road, then sat at 50mph forcing me to brake.
So i don’t want my kids to be taught by one of these muppets when they don’t know what the rules are.
However i think they should get some instruction after a few months of none motorway driving. Also map reading would be good.
But not another stealth tax (test).

Learners in cars are just that - learners. Just because they pass the car driving test does not make them experienced drivers. It is pass the test then go out and practice to get better I believe.
I do NOT think they should be taken on motorways when learning and I also strongly believe that they should NOT be allowed on motorways after passing the test untill they have done motorway training.

My daughter did motorway stuff as part of the Pass Plus scheme

I’d recommend it to anybody just doing their Car test

I believe that this should be standard procedure and that the driving test should be in two parts.
First part to allow the driver on ordinary roads on their own but the second part should be with further training for motorways.