Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE

Firstly - the ‘shortage of LGV drivers’ is generally NOT TRUE.
You have probably now realised that the ‘BIG BUCKS’ which you might have been lured with are also very rare in this industry.

There have been quite a few posts from newbies around the UK recently stating that after they pass their LGV test(s), they are increasingly finding it difficult to get work with most employers and agencies insisting on 2 years experience.

It has never been easy to get that first foot on the ladder but I think the current economic situation has made it worse especially with experienced LGV drivers now unemployed.

So that’s the negative side :frowning: of the situation but what about the POSITIVE side :question: :exclamation:

You now have proof that you are capable of handling a large vehicle and have recently undertaken driver training - a bonus for any potential employer or agency. So what is the best way to use that :question:

dieseldave:
My tip for you is to keep plugging away with the agency route, but ask for assignments in vans and/or 7.5t, rather than LGVs…
Once your face fits with the clients and they see that you’re reliable and flexible etc, some clients might ask you whether you can drive larger vehicles.
If you approach the problem in this way, it might just be beneficial to you… :wink:

If an agency or employer is faced with a number of candidates after 7.5 tonner or van work and one of those has your recent training EXPERIENCE, who are they likely to choose :question: IMO, and especially with agencies, the person whose skills they might be able to utilise now and build on later.

Use what you do have to your best advantage.

If I was going to get my LGV nowadays then I would research the local job market before parting with any money. Then, if I still wanted to get my LGV, I would stay in my current job, whatever that was, and perhaps try to get a day every other weekend as a bit of extra money and to gain a little experience.

Link to part time LGV driving rules when the driving is not the main job.

The occasional shift done at the weekend might even pay for the licence over a 2 year period. For arguments sake, lets say I did 1 day a month for £100 a shift - that would soon build up over 24 months.

Once it got close to the 2 years of holding the licence, (that seems to be the same as 2 years experience for insurance purposes :exclamation: :open_mouth:) I would then seriously go for a full time LGV job.

I know not everyone is experiencing the ‘Brick wall’ but I would advise keeping all options open.

tachograph:
To be completely honest, regardless of age I don’t think I would really recommend anyone parting with hard earned money to train as an HGV driver in the current economical climate unless they have a job waiting at the end of it.
It seems that companies aren’t advertising jobs and agencies are taking the ■■■■, the simple fact is that at the moment there are more available drivers than jobs and that situation probably won’t change any time soon, at this time of year it should be the agencies that are desperately trying to get drivers regardless of experience but that doesn’t appear to be the case, there will always be those that get lucky but on the whole I would say that peoples money would probably be better spent on other things that have more chance of leading to full time employment.
With more regulation and higher cost for training it has to be asked “economically is it worth it?”.

im finding most companies direct aint bothered about exp long as you can pass the assessment, its agencies that are being very picky they sign you up nand still have the cheek to ask you have you two years exp if a job does come up (even tho they got told during sign up) and the companies dont have work for there own lads and its a guess but the little extra work they do get they use agency as there can get shut easily.

i just find it increasingly hard to find a job, 99% of jobs are advertised by agencies. i feel like just going back onto the parcel deliveries in vans. wasnt earning much less than i do now and dont need to worry bout tacho rules. then when im 25 come back to driving trucks.

im only 24 and every company i rang today none said age was a problem most also said cos there an equal oppertunity employer. i know what you mean tho i cant believe agencies are allowed to post jobs in job centre.

You all will be okay if the toffs get in next election. H&S will be down shifted and a free for all will begin again.

The problem as I see it is age. The current figures for drivers with less then 2 years experience( no matter what they drive) is appalling in respect of collisions. The 21 to 25 range being pretty awful but not as bad as 17 to 25.

The companies will have these figures in mind due to responsiblity to themselves and their clients +other road users.This is not new ,but in todays corperate manslaughter at work bill companies are very wary of these matters.

I agree an assessment is a good move, but it in it’s self has limitations.

The assessment can be limited by time or lack of eperience by the assessor.

The asssessed may be not use to the vehicle or it’s set up ,indeed one might have a bad day or many other reasons.The assessor may think you have attitude. There are to many variants to list here.

Companies have a massive responsibilty like never before and litigation is never far from their minds. Thats how it is :exclamation:

What with the construction market going belly up, a lot of these experienced guys will be taking up the slack with the agencies and that’s just the first card to fall. Next it will be retail. I work in the bar trade and our draymen say things are getting quieter and quieter I guess with all these guys looking for work a newbie doesn’t stand a chance. Would that be right Rog?

allanwhyte77:
What with the construction market going belly up, a lot of these experienced guys will be taking up the slack with the agencies and that’s just the first card to fall. Next it will be retail. I work in the bar trade and our draymen say things are getting quieter and quieter I guess with all these guys looking for work a newbie doesn’t stand a chance. Would that be right Rog?

With more experienced LGV drivers now becoming unemployed, it is bound to make it harder for newbies to get work.

To be completely honest, regardless of age I don’t think I would really recommend anyone parting with hard earned money to train as an HGV driver in the current economical climate unless they have a job waiting at the end of it.

It seems that companies aren’t advertising jobs and agencies are taking the ■■■■, the simple fact is that at the moment there are more available drivers than jobs and that situation probably won’t change any time soon, at this time of year it should be the agencies that are desperately trying to get drivers regardless of experience but that doesn’t appear to be the case, there will always be those that get lucky but on the whole I would say that peoples money would probably be better spent on other things that have more chance of leading to full time employment.

With more regulation and higher cost for training it has to be asked “economically is it worth it”.

tachograph:

With more regulation and higher cost for training it has to be asked “economically is it worth it”.

can i answer that in 2014? lol

Although, next year the cost for training is going to get more expensive with the cpc, so in the short term it might not be a good idea but I’m looking a bit further ahead and hoping that two years down the line,having held it for that time, It might be worth it.
I might as well spend the money now while I have it and it’s cheaper for training because I might not be able to afford it later.

Just have to try and pass the test for the third time next Wednesday!

allanwhyte77:
Although, next year the cost for training is going to get more expensive with the cpc, so in the short term it might not be a good idea but I’m looking a bit further ahead and hoping that two years down the line,having held it for that time, It might be worth it.
I might as well spend the money now while I have it and it’s cheaper for training because I might not be able to afford it later.

Just have to try and pass the test for the third time next Wednesday!

A very good way of looking at it :sunglasses:

There was a fairly low paid cat C job going near me, on the off chance I popped in today on my way back from the first day of my first day on a Cat C course.

If I pass I am to give him a bell!

I think some of the chaps on here may be right, sod the form filling and just pop into offices with a big smile, honesty and a handshake.

Wozzer:
There was a fairly low paid cat C job going near me, on the off chance I popped in today on my way back from the first day of my first day on a Cat C course.

If I pass I am to give him a bell!

I think some of the chaps on here may be right, sod the form filling and just pop into offices with a big smile, honesty and a handshake.

yeah works well pal im having no problems with age exp etc most companies try to help and advise if you call in and ask for vacancies, although you get odd git “no exp” or"need over 25`s"most will try help you out. alot have taken my details if anything comes up, i dont think its a age or exp its a case of theres not enough work for amount of drivers with the credit crunch biting harder everyday too its only getting worse, remember its same in all jobs too, be glad your not a builder there well screwed right now.

oh and just to add all the firms who wanted exp or over 25`s said sorry no jobs right now. we just need to sit tight and wait for the economy to pick up

I’m quite sickened that they managed to pass all those draconian welfare policies while the sun was shining and now the bottom has dropped out of the economy we’re all going to end up picking up ■■■■■■■ 40 hours a week for our £50 “allowance”.

Maybe we should all move to Poland and work over there. :unamused: :unamused: :wink: :wink:

Hang on a minute, Poland don’t allow this, do they. :shock?: :cry:

dinosteveus1:
Maybe we should all move to Poland and work over there. :unamused: :unamused: :wink: :wink:

YES - We have the same rights to work there as they do to work here

ROG:

dinosteveus1:

“Rights”, ummm that’s a laugh.
I was chatting to a Pol a while back and he said NO Polish Company would ever take on a English Driver. I don’t know how right that is but he had no reason to lie or BS me. :unamused:

dinosteveus1:

ROG:

dinosteveus1:

I was chatting to a Pol a while back and he said NO Polish Company would ever take on a English Driver. I don’t know how right that is but he had no reason to lie or BS me. :unamused:

Pose that question to orys next time he comes on site or send him a PM :smiley:

dinosteveus1:

ROG:

dinosteveus1:

That’s a MPTM (“My Pole Told Me”) myth. Same rights, yes, but I don’t think you wouldn’t get anywhere without a word of Polish. Also the odds would be stacked against you, but not impossibly so.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7159013.stm

And I don’t think Mr Brannan is Polish by the way.