Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE

I was lucky, got a job just before the financial meltdown really hit, with limited experince on class 1.
I’m not moving, any driver with sense isn’t going to jump ship without a really good reason to do so.
The opportunities for new drivers have always been bad, and are getting worse. Even agencies are getting full now. And what agency is gonna jeapordise its’ contract by sending a new driver when they have a pack of 5 and 10 year vets on their books?

Remember, all the best jobs are spread by word of mouth, make friends with people, and get in quick. Don’t forget the legwork and persistent effort. If you ask a company once a month, every month, face to face, if they have a job, they’ll know you, remember you, and know you don’t quit easily, and will work at things.

I think that it would help us all if the training schools would build working relationships with local hauliers. Then there could be a system of placements for people having passed their tests .Teachers get 1 year probationary classroom work.before being kicked out for the following years new graduate.The haulage game could do similar.

alamcculloch:
I think that it would help us all if the training schools would build working relationships with local hauliers. Then there could be a system of placements for people having passed their tests .Teachers get 1 year probationary classroom work.before being kicked out for the following years new graduate.The haulage game could do similar.

Couldn’t agree more. There really should be some sort of link up between training companies and hauliers.

Alternatively, couldn’t they make roping & sheeting, working with containers and everything else we’re expected to know, part of the training/test?

Got a call today asking if I was up for an early evening start - anything from 8 to 12 hours. I thought, great, no problem. So I asked where & when. Then came the bombshell - ‘you do have experience of containers, don’ t you?'. Of course, I had to answer no.

But then, I did record my HGV knowledge on the application form and I’m left thinking…didn’t you read the ■■■■ thing :question: Apparently, there wouldn’t have been anyone there to show me the ropes and if I hit a problem and so on and blah, blah, blah

So there I was shot down in flames. Once again lack of experience comes round and bites my ■■■! :cry:

Down but not out, just yet!

Speed Freak:
Alternatively, couldn’t they make roping & sheeting, working with containers and everything else we’re expected to know, part of the training/test?

No problem - just ask the trainee if they will stump up the extra cost :slight_smile:

Speed Freak:
Then came the bombshell - ‘you do have experience of containers, don’ t you?'. Of course, I had to answer no.

Now I would have said “yeah” and then asked someone for a wee hand when I got there. Got to blag it sometimes. I believe it’s only a box with a few twist locks? All you got to make sure is that it’s the right way round.

I’ve been ticking over on work until my car got nicked. I think I’m bottom of the list now (or fallen off it completely). Haven’t done nothing in two weeks. Either the boss has got the hump with me or there’s no work. Probably a combination of both.

My current outlook is grim, but at least I’ve got a bit of experience. If push comes to shove then the cat D might have to be used :open_mouth:

[quoteNow I would have said “yeah” and then asked someone for a wee hand when I got there. Got to blag it sometimes. I believe it’s only a box with a few twist locks? All you got to make sure is that it’s the right way round.[/quote]

My thoughts as well. Doesn’t appear to be that much to it. As it would have been my first run I thought it best not to bluff it. Didn’t want to hack them off.

AS for paying extra fee’s for time spent learning roping & sheeting and the like, I suspect most trainees would spend the extra cash ROG. Especially if it gave them a more solid footing getting work.

:unamused:

bigcheese:
oh and just to add all the firms who wanted exp or over 25`s said sorry no jobs right now. we just need to sit tight and wait for the economy to pick up

Where are you working now,

You keep saying every company you phone
dont seem too mind about age or experience,
as long as you pass the assesment.

If this is true , you would have got the first job
you applied for :unamused:

I think you live in a very different world than the rest of the truckers.

like the saying says
"you always get one "

I can imagine the conversation to the insurance company
"he has no experience , hes 22,
■■■■!!! he managed to reverse it on our bay
Is he covered ? :laughing:

I agree with ROG,
This sector is flooded with drivers now,
if you are prepared to work
nights,weekends etc… for £7.00 p/h then this is a job for you.

and the only way to make £30,000 pa
is to live in the cab.

Not many 40hr working weeks in this industry.

sorry to put adowner on things rog. but there is no weekend agency work for newbs about either. ive had two days in 4 months :frowning:

joedwyer1:
sorry to put adowner on things rog. but there is no weekend agency work for newbs about either. ive had two days in 4 months :frowning:

things have changed a lot since that post was originally done.

It was done as an idea for newbies to consider.

oh sorry ive just seen the date on your first post :blush: :blush: :blush: