Yawn,Yawn,another Stobart thread

a bloke who started on stobarts at the same time as me hit a bridge in catford,he tried peeling the trailer height sticker off :smiley:
btw on the way to our induction he came out with the pink chalk story and went the wrong way to widnes :laughing: :unamused: :unamused:
personallyā€¦i would just run home and lock the doors and draw the curtains for a few days

Maybe he was distracted while trying to tune his modern cab radio,am i the only one that gets fed up with all the silly buttons,one touch of the wrong button and it messes it up,secret codes,alarms,and so on.

toby1234abc:
Maybe he was distracted while trying to tune his modern cab radio,am i the only one that gets fed up with all the silly buttons,one touch of the wrong button and it messes it up,secret codes,alarms,and so on.

Yes, you are the only one!

Ok wheelnut,why is it when cab hopping,and each truck is different,i tend to reach out for a parking brake or gear that was in a different position to the last truck i was in,jumping from a auto gear box to a manual one for example. :stuck_out_tongue:

toby1234abc:
Ok wheelnut,why is it when cab hopping,and each truck is different,i tend to reach out for a parking brake or gear that was in a different position to the last truck i was in,jumping from a auto gear box to a manual one for example. :stuck_out_tongue:

Because there is more than one manufacturer of lorry or model. Strangely enough cars are the same :unamused:

I wonder if airline pilots do the same when they swap over planes,or do they stick to one type,a cabin crew member once told me,they could tell when the captain had been away for a holiday,by his terrible landing,they use flaring to time the power reduction and use of flaps to land without a hard bump.

toby1234abc:
I wonder if airline pilots do the same when they swap over planes,or do they stick to one type,a cabin crew member once told me,they could tell when the captain had been away for a holiday,by his terrible landing,they use flaring to time the power reduction and use of flaps to land without a hard bump.

On all but the simplest planes - and certainly on all airliners - a type rating is mandatory. If thereā€™s a major redesign of a model (e.g. a move to a ā€˜glass cockpitā€™), differences training and a new type rating is needed. Sometimes a type rating covers a family of planes that are similar (some of the earlier Airbuses, for example), but this is not that common.

Type ratings are not cheap - they can cost around 50k, not least because they need a fair bit of simulator time (not cheap) and some real life flying (definitely not cheap!). The fuel and hire costs are a little bit different to an LGV!

If you think the situation with unemployed LGV drivers is bad, how would you feel if youā€™d paid 25k+ of your own money for a commercial pilotā€™s licence and multi-engine instrument rating only to find there wasnā€™t a hope of an airline job and very little commercial work of any sort available for a low-hours CPL holder? Some low-hours CPL holders used to become flying instructors to earn some money and build their hours whilst teaching people for private pilotā€™s licences, but the cost of getting an FI rating is substantial and, in these strained times, there arenā€™t the people wanting to learn to fly that there once were.

Thereā€™s quite a few with a CPL and ME-IR who have let their licences lapse because they canā€™t justify the cost of keeping their licence current with the airline jobs marketplace as it is. Many in that position will never recoup the time and money they poured into that licence. Some take the risky path of paying for their own airliner type rating in the hope that makes them a better bet for the airlines - but that can be financial suicide (somewhere around 80k of debt in total for licence, IR and type rating) and thereā€™s really no hope of keeping a type rating valid unless you get a job on that type.

Itā€™s a supply and demand thing, much like with LGV drivers. The airlines are hardly rolling in money, people arenā€™t flying as much as they did in better economic times, and thereā€™s an oversupply of qualified pilots. If youā€™re an airline, youā€™re not going to pay to train unqualified people when thereā€™s people available that are qualified to go into the co-pilotā€™s seat with at most a small amount of refresher training.

Thereā€™s a difference between 1-4k of debt for up to four weeks training (depending on what vocational categories you hold) and 25k+ of debt for months to years of training. As always, before taking on any sort of training, itā€™s important to get a realistic view of what the job prospects are if you pass, otherwise you could be throwing away time and money. The training providerā€™s job is to sell you training and to make it of good enough quality that you canā€™t sue for your money back. They typically paint an overly positive picture of your prospects on qualifying.

toby1234abc:

Its because youā€™re an idiot.

How do you measure idiotness,is there a certificate or evidence from a doctor. :smiley:

I got mine on hereā€¦ :smiley:

How much did you pay,do they accept credit or was it only a debit card.?