Working in Africa or Middle East

Mike-C:

wheelyb:
I work I Iraq but for private security, 7-8 grand month depending on exchange rate

You’re fortunate in so far as the wages goes, the public sector workers who die over there get to play on our hearts strings, Help for heroes etc…
I guess if you’re in the private sector that doesn’t happen? Who helps you guys or your families if you get snuffed ? After what happened with that mad guard are you all frightened to play cards now or do you still do it? And if you’re private who do you guard ? I’d love to find out more about this stuff,it fascinates me.

yeah wages is the only good thing about it, im givin it up in april 2014, to be with family more, 9 weeks away at a time, 10-15hr days, everyday takes its toll.
getting “snuffed” means the company pays a 6 fig sum to next of kin. We aren’t ‘gun ho’ as some civvies think, most things are low key, civil, polite and we get on with 80% of the locals, we even get arrested at times haha!! a bit of arse twitching, but its nothing like when forces were here, and get released within few hours.
Currently guarding oil workers in oil fields going about there business, not too testing as the ‘baddies’ are in the city and some of the reformed ‘baddies’ work with us!?! having them work for us is not as bad as it seems, because we get through the many checkpoints with ease once the “handshake” and cheek kissing been done with the police. And the stories they tell about what they got up to :open_mouth:

wheelyb:
yeah wages is the only good thing about it, im givin it up in april 2014, to be with family more, 9 weeks away at a time, 10-15hr days, everyday takes its toll.
getting “snuffed” means the company pays a 6 fig sum to next of kin. We aren’t ‘gun ho’ as some civvies think, most things are low key, civil, polite and we get on with 80% of the locals, we even get arrested at times haha!! a bit of arse twitching, but its nothing like when forces were here, and get released within few hours.
Currently guarding oil workers in oil fields going about there business, not too testing as the ‘baddies’ are in the city and some of the reformed ‘baddies’ work with us!?! having them work for us is not as bad as it seems, because we get through the many checkpoints with ease once the “handshake” and cheek kissing been done with the police. And the stories they tell about what they got up to :open_mouth:

I think it was Neil46 on here that put up his diaries from working over there, they where quite interesting. All looks to scary for me if i’m honest, although its ok looking at the pics :smiley: