We are valued

Clunk:
Joggers and dog walkers always find the dead bodies.
Should we take up running with a labrador?

Nah, it will look suspicious if you keep finding all the croakers.

I had a defibrillator in my truck when I did multidrop in Stockholm.

If someone would like to pay for the ‘course’ then I will gladly ‘donate’ my time! :wink:

rambo19:
Ive suggested this at every CPC corse ive done, instructors just shurg thier shoulders.
I’m a bus driver and think its a brilliant idea to have first aid training.

I opted to do the "first aid in transport " module for my DCPC (£60 inc vat , no food)
I took it seriously and got a lot out of it.
A bus driver on the course (bolshi) said he was under strict instructions from his employer , never to touch passengers under any circumstances. Consequently he said that all he would do would be to pass the patient the first aid box.

I have qualified as a first aider quite a few times. It seemed that every job i took before driving full time they put me on a course.
I wanted to do it again, But some places were charging upwards of £500, So i didn’t bother.
I have helped a few people in the past, One was a women trapped in a car that simply needed calming down. Another was a guy in an overturned car, I got him out through the window, His mate was trying to open the door which would have forced the roof to collaped and crush his mate. Neither of these needed first aid as such, But keeping the person calm is just as important as anything else.
The one time i can recall needing to use what you might call proper first aid is when a bloke fell off a roof and smashed his head on the floor, He wasn’t breathing so i got him up and running again, his skull was prety smashed up so i cupped my hand round it to prevent any further damage.
There was one sort of funny one where a girl started drowning in stanley park lake in blackpool, i lifted her up by her leg and the water came out of her lungs, after about 10 seconds she ran off and went on the swings. :laughing: the thing is, if she just stood up and didn’t panic, then she would have found that she wasn’t out of her depth at all. :laughing:

Being the person responsible for the development of Driver First Assist (DFA) I would like to thank you all for taking an interest. Apart from working to prevent needless deaths resulting from RTCs, at the forefront of our thinking when creating DFA was the ability to raise the profile of the trucking industry and start to put pride back into the job. Having worked in the industry for a very long time (12 years as a long distance driver) I know how under valued drivers are.

A number of important issues have been raised and hopefully a visit to our website might help - www.driverfirstassist.org

It is worth pointing out that DFA is a not for profit organisation and regulated as such, so this is not someone trying to capitalise out of the Driver CPC requirements.

A number of points/issues have been raised and I am more than happy to address them within this forum. So rather than go on at length in this posting, if there are questions you would like to ask, fire away!!

3 wheeler:
~ and I can promise giving mouth to mouth to a biker with a beard did not come high on my list of things I wanted to do, but I would like to think it that was me in that situation someone would have enough knowledge to keep me alive.

Just so you know - they don’t do mouth to mouth any more.

I’ve got the British Red Cross app on my phone and I’d recommend it to anyone on here. I did first aid when in the scouts years ago but have forgot most of it now. I’d willingly do a section on first aid in the DCPC.

When I joined Smith and Robinsons Tankers every driver had to attend a weeks training course which included a first aid course given by the St John Ambulance Brigade, well not the whole lot of 'em just one old guy who was very good. This was before you were allowed out on the road on your own and it didn’t matter how experienced or good you thought you were.

I was so impressed by the first aid course I came home and arranged for my wife and daughters to go on it, and they have used it twice in their driving experiences while attending RTA’S they have come across but fortunately were not directly involved in.

The course covered basic first aid, stopping bleeding, clearing airways, recovery position etc. It was made clear that you do not move anyone in case you cause further damage, unless they are in imminent danger of suffering further injury.

I think a basic first aid course designed to be used in traffic accidents should be agreed upon by the Medical profession and have it taught to every driver as part of the driving test. It makes sense that on todays overcrowded roads there is a very good chance that any young driver will at some time either be involved in or come across a RTA, they may be the only conscious person there and assistance could prove life saving to those injured.

I look upon the course as one of the most important things I ever learned in 52 years of lorry driving, and yet we, as a society, only tell drivers “If your involved in an accident swap Insurance details” Too bad if someone bleeds to death while your looking for a pencil.

I think most HGV drivers are well able to cope and keep a more level head in an emergency, more lives could be saved if they received this basic training in first aid. The Ambulance, Paramedics or other emergency service take time to arrive and the period in-between can be vital, even the simplest of acts can staunch or slow blood loss ensuring the patient survives until professional help arrives.

The chap from St. Johns said something that has stuck with me ever since, “If you can get an injured person to Hospital alive there is a very good chance they will survive”.

On that 24 Hours in A+E i think they say the first hour is crucial in a person either surviving or passing away in a serious RTC.

Our company has just put all its drivers through a basic first aid course to count towards the dcpc. Its also a recognised course & we got a certificate & a card saying we are trained. Well worth it i say. Learnt way more that day in 7hrs then in the last 21hrs of training for the dcpc.