Vertigo.

I was never good with heights as a youngster but I did brave going on the cable cars at Matlock Bath when they first opened as, living nearby, we got some free tickets. I was OK as most of the journey was through trees etc so you didn’t notice the height until the cars stopped over the gorge but even that didn’t bother me unduly, though I was happier when we landed again… However we went on a similar setup when the Garden Festival was held at Stoke on the old Shelton ironworks site and because the system was all out in the open I was petrified, even though they were not that high! I can go up ladders to repair guttering etc but would sooner somebody else did it haha. No way could I do a Fred Dibnah type climb, it makes me feel ill just watching him! :open_mouth: I have a friend who did free fall parachuteing in the TA for 25 years, jumping out of Hercules at 30,000 feet, yet he can’t stand on a pair of steps to decorate his house without feeling ill! :confused:

Pete.

Went up to the top of the Rock in Gibraltar in the cable car, but bloody well walked back down !! But me uver arf had her handbag grabbed by a barbary ape :frowning:

eagerbeaver:
I have it on cd somewhere.

Hello, hello, I’m at a place called vertigo…

you too? Lol :grimacing:

Many years ago, I applied for a job working here.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ltYSzp2icgY

Didn’t get it obviously, which is a shame.

Yeah absolutely ■■■■■ the Dartford crossing especially when you have to be in the far left lane to turn of for crossways.

bald bloke:
I’ve actually had about 5 episodes of the real vertigo the last one being about 15 yrs and it’s very disabling and the only thing you can do is lie down and wait for it to pass .

I had that from labyrinthitis and it’s really horrible. Luckily I had a decent employer who let me work through it. I had to be rescued several times because I simply could not drive.

What the OP is talking about is acrophobia - a fear of heights.

I’ve got BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) and have had it since the fall from my trailer in 2006. It usually goes away after a while, so I’m told :unamused: It finished my driving career and I don’t even drive the car unless someone’s with me. It’s f*****g horrible, specially for someone that was never bothered about heights. All OK one minute, buggered the next.

I also get vertigo on the Tobin bridge in Boston MA, when I sit in standing traffic on that rickety thing 300 feet up with a very small retaining wall next to the cab I have to avert my eyes.

Whatever you do, do not report it to the DVLA, your licence will be revoked for a minimum of 12 months, or a letter from your GP confirming you have not had a episode within the previous 3 months.

Santa:

bald bloke:
I’ve actually had about 5 episodes of the real vertigo the last one being about 15 yrs and it’s very disabling and the only thing you can do is lie down and wait for it to pass .

I had that from labyrinthitis and it’s really horrible. Luckily I had a decent employer who let me work through it. I had to be rescued several times because I simply could not drive.

You can self medicate with OTC stuff when it gets really debilitating. Try Stugeron (travel sickness pills) and see if that takes the worst off. They were originally trialled for Labyrinthitis and you don’t need to tell anyone you are taking them

good_friend:

Santa:

bald bloke:

You can self medicate with OTC stuff when it gets really debilitating. Try Stugeron (travel sickness pills) and see if that takes the worst off. They were originally trialled for Labyrinthitis and you don’t need to tell anyone you are taking them

Mine was caused probably by Ménière’s disease but touch wood it won’t surface again.

BB - it should still work for MD. It’s an inner ear thing and sometimes caused by the same stuff that makes certain people travel sick, motion sick etc