Van den bosch transport

gogzy:
Lucy you work on containers, when your being unloaded/loaded you can go and sit in your truck and go to bed or do what you want really,

Not true. I’m on Short Sea work direct for a shipping line, it isn’t your standard container work by any stretch of the imagination, and we don’t sit about much at all. Plus I haven’t ALWAYS been on containers, I started on parcel work doing multidrop, then I did TANKERS (yes, that’s right Gogs, been there), long loads of fabricated steel, agricultural haulage on flats, and bog standard curtainside work. I’ve done a small amount of fridge work as well, and was sel-employed running 6 wagons whilst driving myself for a couple of years. :unamused:

the only times i can do that when unloading is when its a gravity feed as once the manlid is open and the pipes attached it just flows out on its own accord, if im unloading under pressure i have to sit and watch the tank just so i dont put too much air in and explode the tank.
when loading i have to be up there ontop of the tank so its not like ive got time to myself when having to take breaks.

As you can see above, I knopw, I’ve done ii. It takes 5 minutes to make a butty, and take it up there to eat it. Fruit fits in pockets. Cereal is even quicker and you can shovel it down whilst waiting at weighbridges etc.

if i do get a chance to sit in the cab or on the bunk then yes ill more than happily take my break, this is not the problem.

Good. Not that it takes a full break to sit and have a snack. I often do it on the docks, for example, or in queues.

as for not eating, when your stuck on a factory site for 2 days because an incompetent planner does not listen to you, containers dont get sent up to this place to unload, just to load but i got sent with one to unload and didnt have the correct equipment (trailers sealed so i cant check i have all the right bits to unload) i told my planner what at least every hour what i neeeded because he kept asking what was happening. i couldnt borrow pipes from any other drivers from other companies who were their because they had just had them cleaned and their trailer sealed for loading. end of my planners shift and i get a message from him.

I’m not seeing what that has to do with not eating. It’s just ■■■■ poor preparation for all eventualities on your part. If you were there for 2 days, surely you could’ve grabbed a stove and a pan and whipped outside the gate for 10 minutes to cook something up? I have all my “kitchen” in two easily carryable boxes for precisely that reason.

and basically it said at the end {zb} happens. the only way i got out of it was with the help of the place i was delivering to and 2 hungarians who were luckily unloading the same product helped me me out…not my planner. i mean how hard is it to organise 2 air hoses and an unloading hose to be brought to me? or just send me with the correct equipment in the first place lke a proper tank instead of a container

Every job has it’s cockups. As a driver - and I’m as guilty of this as anyone - it’s easy to forget that those at the other end have a lot more than just you to think about, and it’s therefore inevitable that stuff is going to go wrong. That’s why you need to be prepared, see above. They are. at the end of the day, transport planners, not babysitters, after all.
as for the dutch way of coupling well their is no tug test, their is no parking brakes on the majority of the trailers.

the only thing that i see from it being sensible is dropping the trailers suspension and raising the front of the trailer, only on the proper tanks so as to take pressure off the trailer legs.

There you go then, no problem. It’s just a belt and braces approach, and if it saves damage and hence cost to the company, then fair enough. When you’ve seen a bit more of what your average numpty driver is capable of, it’ll make more sense to you as well, I should think. There really are some bollock-brains out there! LOL!

I do a job i enjoy, or at least try to but get put downs by old hands like yourself and you seem to wonder why youngsters dont want to join the industry because its put down after put down after {zb}ing put down, you know how tough the last year has been for me so there is just no need for those comments ok lucy

It’s not putdowns, Gogsy, it’s teaching. It’s how we all learnt. The hard way and with tough love. We could all pat you on the head and say “There there, pet, let me go and buy you some chips to stop you starving”, but that wouldn’t actually help you. I’m giving you constructive solutions to your problems. Practical ways of living up the road effectively, and help learning the attitude you need to do this kind of job. If you think that’s putting you down, that’s your loss. I thought the same when people did it to me, but [zb] me am I grateful now, with hindsight.

,i could tell you to get a real job instead of being a container jockey, but im not because you seem to like it so who the hell am i top tell you what to do

Carry on, mate. It would’t bother me in the slightest. I have nothing to prove to anyone, not even myself. I’ve tried a bit of all sorts and found what suits me the best. As you will too, one day.

and as for mister experience as you say lucy, have i ever said that? i struggle for work back home because of where i live, i dont happen to live in that golden triangle where their is lots of work.

It’s the way you come across, Gogs. Sometimes you don’t have to explicitly say something for people to draw conclusions. It’s all about general attitude.
You could always have moved sooner, you know. Or taken the crap work to see you through those first 2 years, like the rest of us had to. No-one is going to hand you anything on a plate, you have to go out and grab it.

Take the advice that’s offered in the spirit with which it was intended, and you might gain something and make your own life easier. Or don’t Your choice.

this isnt helped by people like will pringle etc, all they see are blinged up trucks in truck mags and they want one, you know ive done some {zb} and id drive it aslong as i got paid. the most blinged up truck ive driven was andy biltons old magnum or bricktrotters volvo. other than that everything else has been fleet spec, fleet spec tesco wagons, fleet spec royal mail wagons etc etc, i was lucky to land on the rm contract but i had to work my way up from doing the vans on parcelforce to getting onto the artics over a 2 year period so its not like i got on them straight away like it seems.

I agree it doesn’t help, but as you’ve probably notice by now, the saying “all flash no cash” didn’t just spring out of nowhere. So you’ve already started learning, see… Look back at your own posts when you first came on here, see the difference, and give yourself credit where it’s due.

ive always avoided general haulage/pallet network etc like the plauge aswell because id had enough of multidrop when i got my class 1.
i dont even want a blingedc up motor i just want a well specced motor inside, hell if it had just a fridge id be over the bloody moon.

See above. Nowt wrong with multidrop, though. Fantastic learning ground.

also as for getting a coolbox on the plan lucy its a bit hard when i only get 15kg to put on the plane

They weigh next to nothing empty, so just pack your clothes into the cooler to bring it over that time around, then do a quick supermarket/whatever hit when you get to Erp to fill it. Or buy one over there - there must be a Dutch equivalent or Argos that you can get to deliver it to base after you’ve bought online - again, ask the other drivers where the bet, cheap place is to get that kind of stuff. Ask them what they do about getting supplies. Worst case scenario, it’d probably be worth paying for excess baggage for one trip, if you consider the saving you’ll make in the long run being able to self cater. There are plenty of options if you just use a bit of nouse.

@gozy as regards weight limit on the plane, you can buy
cool boxes in Holland Germany Belgium ,mate for the beginning
and shopping get on the internet ALIDI;; LIDOL ; etc all are
on the internet,with store locators for all country,
And the problem with not having the right kit
well let me see I scrounged my kit if I did not get it given ,
why to get the job done, we had guys who had their own
fittings made why because it made the job easier but
the firm thought it was not a requirement,I would how ever
say your TM–Disponent was a arse if he sent you off with out
confirming with the customer what was required and telling
you to check the kit to see if it was 100%,but as we all know
this happens and you have to cope,
A tanker driver has to be able to adapt and conquer
problems that happen, as for loading --unloading yes
in many places you do have to watch over as required
you can act as you feel fit, as in real life the name of the game
is get the job done asap and either take your Break/rest or
carry on working,
BY the way your two days is not a lot being stuck in a factory
My record was much longer along with 12of my mates as they could not unload
us all at once,
Did you ask where the canteen was,That is all ways my first question
and then where do I load or unload,

23 Years ago you had prejudice against Female drivers, now we have Foreign Drivers, loads of the twts and the recession.

I’ve no idea what it was like 23 years ago, I was only 10 then. :wink:

You have a choice, Steve. You make you own luck, or you sit and feel hard done by. Your choice. The point is that not that much has changed, and it’s been the same for every driver that comes into this industry since time immemorial. Keep plugging away and you’ll get there. If there are people taking on foreigners near you, they’ll probably a) have high staff turnover and b) take on a newbie. I’d make these firms my first port of call, if I were you. :bulb:

Yorkie, they employ British drivers and German and Hungarian because we are cheaper than employing Dutch drivers due to the Dutch welfare system.

The hourly rate is £8.30 ph, and the 3/4 pay is part of the working agreement, it’s not ideal but if sitting there for 5 or 6 hours waiting to tip or load and your either lieing in your bed or eating or whatever, it is better than getting nothing if your on POA.

Gogsy, let me let you into a little secret, you don’t know what is in a sealed tank, nor do the planners, even experienced drivers have that problem. what you do is first ask at the company if they have the fittings, sometimes they do. If not explain as clear as you can, even if it is primary school english you explain it in. I know it’s a ball ache trying to type with the bc and use words a none english speaking planner can understand but try!

As you gain more experience in the job you will learn to watch for these things, next time your in Erp go to the carrossorie and ask for the equipment you were missing, they will gladly give it you and next time you go there you will be prepared. I have got lots of equipment I hardly use, but one day I know they will give me a curve ball, hopefully I will be prepared, if not I tell the planners and let them sort it. Don’t get stressed about it, if you can’t discharge, you can’t discharge! simples

VdB as thousands of trailers and hundereds of drivers, things go missing off trailers all the time, you say we load trailers there you could look in the trailers that are sitting to load if any are there.

I always carry bread and a few bits and pieces to make sndwiches and cuppa soups and potnoodles, you can get a coolbox for 30 euros, not brilliant but a few chilled micro meals are handy, m,ost places have a microwave and they will gladly let you use them.

Or if you return to the portier and ask them where you can get food, they are usually local and will poiint you in the right direction.

I was stuck in france one weekend, I too didn’t have the right equipment so couldn’t discharge, I went to talk to the portier about places to eat, she told me of a pizza place, a restaurant and the next evening when she came on duty she prepared something for me at her home which she warmed for me in the companies microwave.

As for eating at services, there is no need, with “experience” there’s that word again :smiley: look just off motorway junctions, you find some real gems there, petrol stations with little cafe’s near or lidls and some great restaurants depending which country you are in. Ask other drivers especially the dutch or french, they eat out most nights and will know some great places.

As for calling the planners apprent lease and are going to go for the cheaper optionices, your an apprentice, give them a break, in time you will sart to understand each other and the job will come easier with less problems on both sides.

You have only been doing the job a couple of months, it takes time to get used to the differences both work wise and cultural. Try and be clear and concise with your comunications and if you don’t get what they are saying tell them, don’t get worked up about it, it doesn’t help when the proverbial hits the fan.

And another great tip is stop reading too much in to some of the posts on here, I will explain it when we finally bump in to each over over there.

Oh and by the way, you will not get anything more than a fleet spec motor with VdB, they buy 70 a year and always go for the cheapest option for the applicaton they are used for. Stuff like fridges and coffee machines you buy yourself, take a look at the germans when they put there stuff in the cab, this stuff takes a while to build up but eventually you start to live more comfortably in your cab. You won’t be in a fm for ever, newer drivers will come along and they will be put in those and there’s not much more room in a fm

Lucy:

23 Years ago you had prejudice against Female drivers, now we have Foreign Drivers, loads of the twts and the recession.

I’ve no idea what it was like 23 years ago, I was only 10 then. :wink:

You have a choice, Steve. You make you own luck, or you sit and feel hard done by. Your choice. The point is that not that much has changed, and it’s been the same for every driver that comes into this industry since time immemorial. Keep plugging away and you’ll get there. If there are people taking on foreigners near you, they’ll probably a) have high staff turnover and b) take on a newbie. I’d make these firms my first port of call, if I were you. :bulb:

Sorry, I misread your post :blush: :blush: :blush:

Most of the drivers where I’m working at present are foreigners, :unamused: :unamused:
Anyway, nuff said I think. :sunglasses:

When you fly back home does anyone use your truck? Can you keep all your kit in it safely?

some moaning on here about working. if you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen comes to mind. it would seem the experienced driver will manage ok. all this about not getting time to eat and no fridge,although its been pointed out they do have cheap places to get them over in holland :unamused: , excuses and more whinges. never worked for a dutch company but have done europe for irish companies and had to work for the money alright. away from home you may as well run max hours anyway as what else are you going to do,go sightseeing every day ?

merc0447:
When you fly back home does anyone use your truck? Can you keep all your kit in it safely?

No, the way VdB work is 4 drivers 3 trucks, we have lockers to store your belongings, nobody will break a lock but if you forget to lock it I wouldn’t guarentee everything there on your return

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

merc0447:

No, the way VdB work is 4 drivers 3 trucks, we have lockers to store your belongings, nobody will break a lock but if you forget to lock it I wouldn’t guarentee everything there on your return

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: . :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

The way I see it, VdB have done their sums very carefully.

By having drivers doing 3 weeks on and 1 week off means that they can more effectively utilise each truck whilst still conforming to Euro legislation:

1. Driver arrives in Erp and does 6 days followed by a reduced weekly rest of 24 hours.
  2. In 2nd week drives up to maximum fortnightly driving time of 90 hours then has full 45 hours weekend break.
  3. In the 3rd week he can drive up to a maximum of 56 hours (4x9+2x10) before flying home for a week off.
  4. Returns a week later with a clean card to be maxed out again for the next 3 weeks.

VdB will have factored in flight costs, training and probable high driver turnover into this model.
At the end of the day they are trying to maximise their income in a cut throat market and are not some sort of hairy arsed truckers’ benevolent organisation.

Everybody who applies for this job should be aware of that.

This is obviously not a job for life. Hawking your kit around airports and jumping into a different truck every 3 weeks is nobody’s idea of fun, but should be seen as a way to get a foot in the door and get some experience.

Anybody who expects to be weekended on the beach at Rimini is going to be sadly disappointed and as a tanker driver you will inevitably end up in the seedy end of most towns.

So, if you think you can hack it, by all means apply but be under no illusions.
Get in, get the experience, get the T shirt. Then move on.

okey, i couldnt have put it in much less basic english for him to grasp what i needed, he has the grasp of what im saying and if he doesnt he asks,

but when you ask for 2 air hoses and an unloading hose eg the big one to get the product out of the trailer. how much simpler do you get it than that? i even explained what i needed them for to him. also when i was stuck at the factory for 2 days i was up in Brake, if youve ever been their its a fair trek to the nearest village

anyway weve all had words a few weeks back and things seem to be alright now, or at least i can work this way anyway, still a few problems but i can deal with that as and when.

also i havnt pulled a container since my 2nd week after what happened to me at europoort LOL been on tanks since and only had problems with me not knowing what im doing eg unloading a 3 compartment tank

glenman:
some moaning on here about working. if you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen comes to mind. it would seem the experienced driver will manage ok. all this about not getting time to eat and no fridge,although its been pointed out they do have cheap places to get them over in holland :unamused: , excuses and more whinges. never worked for a dutch company but have done europe for irish companies and had to work for the money alright. away from home you may as well run max hours anyway as what else are you going to do,go sightseeing every day ?

WTF was the point of that unhelpful post? :unamused:
It’s posts like this that have turned this forum into a place that’s not nice for ‘noobies/inexperienced’ drivers. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

When I went to Erp, I went in my Car loaded with Kettle, power leads, fridge, UHT Milk and loads of food, Music, laptop with movies etc on and my e-reader, fortunately I didn’t get the job :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Sorry Insaleffe your a bit off the mark about driver turn over, some of the drivers at Vdb have been there years, the whole story of why some of the drivers have left recently as been omitted and it’s not for me or anyone else but the persons who have left to say. The different truck every time is not quite true, you rotate between 3 different trucks

As for ■■■■■■■ gear around airports, you only have to carry your clothes. You get into a routine for what you need to pack, the rest you buy over there and keep in your locker.

Why does everybody think that euro work is all weekends at the beach, yes it does happen occaisionally but the reality is it’s just like uk work but quieter roads and better roadside faccilities and you get treat better at delivery and loading places.

It could be a job for life, they are dissappointed about the drivers who have left.

I’m not a VdB recruiter or an ■■■ licker, I’m just giving my point of view of what I feel is a reasonable job if you can get over the teething problems of a new venture for a succesful company.

They treat you well, better than any british firm would anyway.
How many companies provide internet access at all their sites, have a gym for employees, have a subsidised restaurant, showers and lots of other benefits in to the bargain.

I have been to brake and if it is the oil /fat
factory by the river,then yes it is a far way
out of the Town-center, but they have a canteen
or did have when I was there,
Plus this firm is in there daily Lübbe
If it is the same factory mate…
and the drivers are okay,

ffs some people want taken by the hand. if the job dosent suit just leave,well if you get a start in the first place :unamused: , no fridge/no food/no sleep…moan moan moan. its driving around holland/nearby europe and as far as i know it is fairly well modernised,they do have shops etc, hardly like venturing off into the wilds :unamused: people who have been there and got the t shirts are giving advice to newbies but some dont seem to listen to it as they know better. :unamused:

glenman:
ffs some people want taken by the hand. if the job dosent suit just leave,well if you get a start in the first place :unamused: , no fridge/no food/no sleep…moan moan moan. its driving around holland/nearby europe and as far as i know it is fairly well modernised,they do have shops etc, hardly like venturing off into the wilds :unamused: people who have been there and got the t shirts are giving advice to newbies but some dont seem to listen to it as they know better. :unamused:

Still at it ffs :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
See, trolls like you just inflame the situation. Nothing better to do or say? :unamused:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
Yorkie, they employ British drivers and German and Hungarian because we are cheaper than employing Dutch drivers due to the Dutch welfare system.

The hourly rate is £8.30 ph, and the 3/4 pay is part of the working agreement, it’s not ideal but if sitting there for 5 or 6 hours waiting to tip or load and your either lieing in your bed or eating or whatever, it is better than getting nothing if your on POA.

Fair play Stuey you knew up front so no complaints. Just seems a bit tight just giving 3/4 pay for waiting time which is out of your hands.

dinosteveus1:

glenman:

Still at it ffs :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
See, trolls like you just inflame the situation. Nothing better to do or say? :unamused:

what would you like me to say ? some people are able to do the job and some cant :unamused: some didnt even get the job either. :unamused: no one is being held against their will and are free to move on anyway.

gogzy:
not being funny or that but hows that my fault,

quite easy

as you say yourself apprentice planner wellyou as an experienced driver point the error of his way out to him