Trucker's Fear.

None winseer, if your wheel collapsed as well at speed you’d be toast I’d say.

Fair play for holding the coach Adler on a proper mountain as well!

I’ve had blow outs on trailers where I’ve hardly noticed, one where I carried on and didn’t notice till next morning!

This though was completely destroyed, the tread was separated from the carcass & the carcass was just a mass of shredded metal wire with no sign of sidewall.

wincanton bypass in 94, DAF 2100 ,drivers side front goes bang then 10 mins later a police man turns up stands by the said wheel looks up & asks have i a problem & why have i stopped in the caridgeway ? :unamused:
tis a frightener though, BANG ! what the f… :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

Conor:
I reckon those who get in real trouble are those who slam the brakes on in panic.

I’d tend to agree. At least with a four (or more) wheeler blowout you retain a reasonable measure of control, I’ve had it happen to me on a motorbike (Harley Sportster) and the old expression “steers like it’s on rails” comes to mind. All you can do is slow it down steadily and keep it upright because you have no influence whatsoever on the bike’s direction. You may trust me that it is VERY scary!

Sidevalve:

Conor:
I reckon those who get in real trouble are those who slam the brakes on in panic.

I’d tend to agree. At least with a four (or more) wheeler blowout you retain a reasonable measure of control, I’ve had it happen to me on a motorbike (Harley Sportster) and the old expression “steers like it’s on rails” comes to mind. All you can do is slow it down steadily and keep it upright because you have no influence whatsoever on the bike’s direction. You may trust me that it is VERY scary!

I’ve ridden a Harley once. How did you tell the difference in handling between blowout and non blowout? :wink:

:slight_smile:

I’ve often wondered what would happen with a blowout in a bike, I’m amazed you managed to stay upright. The way some of the sport bike lads ride, you’d think they have a hotline to God.

I’ve told this before but i’ll say it again, i had an off side front let go, M6 south, at the bottom of Keele bank. 26 ton on the back and err… lets say i was shifting. She pulled right as you’d expect, but i caught her and pulled back with relative ease. It seemed the faster you were going the easier it was to steer. It only got really heavy once i’d got on the hard shoulder and was bringing her to a halt, finally, right under J15.

ATS wouldn’t touch it til HATO had coned off lane 1. They did and then there was an accident when Johnny Foreigner pulled into lane 2 and didn’t see the car there. This was 7pm on a Friday. I was Mr Popular that night let me tell you.

Silver_Surfer:
:slight_smile:

I’ve often wondered what would happen with a blowout in a bike, I’m amazed you managed to stay upright. The way some of the sport bike lads ride, you’d think they have a hotline to God.

The tyre profile is much smaller on a road going motorcycle, so it makes the carcass more substantial in proportion to the size of the bike. So much so that I have been able to ride home (slowly) with flat tyres on my old tourer and my old GSXR (race bike)

The only real ‘blowout’ I can remember in a lifetime of bikes is when Barry Sheenes tyre delaminated at Daytona which ended with that world famous crash.

The racers of that era though were racing machines with almost modern day power combined with some fantastic chassis, on suspension and rubber that was struggling to keep up.

Those guys really were pushing development, literally by putting their lives on the line every time the flag dropped. Amazing stuff and real heroics but that’s another story…

W