Trick or thick

Daz1970:
8 hours rest gone forever…

No it ain’t !!!

Let me give you an example of a 30 hour period for a 2 man crew.

They start work AT MIDNIGHT and are FULLY rested.
From 0000 - 0100 they secure the load, do paperwork checks and safety checks.
From 0100 - 2100 they are in the driving mode.
At 2100 they arrive at Rotterdam for the 0600 sailing. They go to sleep.
At 0500 they awake and start boarding the ferry.
At 0600 they set sail.

They have had 8 hours rest in a 30 hour period.

They have acted quite legally and later in the day I welcome them with
open arms in the beautiful port of Immingham but unfortunately they are a bit smelly.

They will be exceeding 11 hours interrupted daily rest with the ferry crossing. I’m sure they should have 9 hours in 30 hour period though. They should have boarded ferry at 06.00 - at which point it would have sailed!!!

Using ferry mode is a REGULAR rest :sunglasses: 11 hrs off :laughing: allowed to interrupt twice totalling NOT more than one hour :smiley: old double manning rules was 8 hrs rest, :laughing: 22 hrs duty time :wink: now it’s 9 hrs rest, and 21 hrs duty time! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Going back to 16 hrs duty time and 8 hrs rest :laughing: was a four hour split daily rest consisting of say 2 hrs + 1 hr + 1 hr plus your eight hours off! :sunglasses: which is now replaced / superceded by a three hour uninterrupted daily split rest followed by 9 hrs off! :smiley: very good if you want 4 times 9 hrs off :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

The tacho graph hours in this country have only been changed three times in its entirety, 1974, 1984 and 2003 off the top of my head! April 2007 brought a few little goalposts to be moved by vostapo,

Dieseldoforme:

Daz1970:
8 hours rest gone forever…

No it ain’t !!!

Let me give you an example of a 30 hour period for a 2 man crew.

They start work AT MIDNIGHT and are FULLY rested.
From 0000 - 0100 they secure the load, do paperwork checks and safety checks.
From 0100 - 2100 they are in the driving mode.
At 2100 they arrive at Rotterdam for the 0600 sailing. They go to sleep.
At 0500 they awake and start boarding the ferry.
At 0600 they set sail.

They have had 8 hours rest in a 30 hour period.

They have acted quite legally and later in the day I welcome them with
their infringements for insufficient daily rest in the beautiful port of Immingham but unfortunately they are a bit smelly.

Fixed that for you :wink:

Where does it say in any regulations that multi-manning only requires a daily rest period of 8 hours ?

A 9 hour daily rest period is required within the period of 30 hours from the start of the shift, and in your example they have not complied with that requirement.

As we’ve already said if the drivers are going on a ferry an interruption to the daily rest period cannot result in a reduction in the amount of rest required for a daily rest period.

I posted a link earlier but perhaps you missed it so here it is again

The total time of these two interruptions may not exceed 1 hour. This time must not, in
any case, result in any reduction of a regular daily rest period.

tachograph:
As we’ve already said if the drivers are going on a ferry an interruption
to the daily rest period cannot result in a reduction in the amount of
rest required for a daily rest period.

The total time of these two interruptions may not exceed 1 hour.
This time must not, in any case, result in any reduction of a regular
daily rest period.

I have been trying to educate you in the above facts for the last few hours.

The point you are missing is this:

After the “allowed interruption” the drivers return to rest - BUT THAT IS OUTSIDE
THE 30 HOUR PERIOD. It has not reduced their daily rest (they still get 11 hours or whatever they need) but they have only had 8 hours rest WITHIN THE 30 HOUR PERIOD before it was interrupted and that is quite legal.

So the answer is D - they only need 8 hours rest WITHIN a 30 hour period.

Daz1970:
^^^ Game, set & match!!!

The Lawn Tennis Association need to give you a drugs test.

Dieseldoforme:

tachograph:
As we’ve already said if the drivers are going on a ferry an interruption
to the daily rest period cannot result in a reduction in the amount of
rest required for a daily rest period.

The total time of these two interruptions may not exceed 1 hour.
This time must not, in any case, result in any reduction of a regular
daily rest period.

I have been trying to educate you in the above facts for the last few hours.

The point you are missing is this:

After the “allowed interruption” the drivers return to rest - BUT THAT IS OUTSIDE
THE 30 HOUR PERIOD. It has not reduced their daily rest (they still get 11 hours or whatever they need) but they have only had 8 hours rest WITHIN THE 30 HOUR PERIOD before it was interrupted and that is quite legal.

So the answer is D - they only need 8 hours rest WITHIN a 30 hour period.

No that is not legal, the daily rest period (the whole of it) has to be within 30 hours for a multi-manned journey, there is no exemption to this just because the rest period is being interrupted.

The same applies to a single manned journey, the daily rest period has to be completed within the 24 hour period from the start of the shift.

Any part of the rest period that falls outside of the 24/30 hour rest period is not counted towards the daily rest period.

Answer D is definitely illegal and will result in the driver getting an infringement for insufficient daily rest, and possibly a fine if he gets stopped by VOSA.

Dieseldoforme:
Rest can be reduced to 8 hours where ferries are involved.

The OP has abbreviated the question - he’s probably
deleted the most important factor, where I work - the ferry docks.
The answer is D.

Well…
I can see the part that requires “at least nine hours” and another part that allows “interruption” but I’m struggling with finding “reduce” or “reduction,” unless you’re saying that those words can be used interchangeably? :confused:
Please quote the relevant part from 561/2006 that says that the 9 hr double-manning minimum rest requirement can be reduced to 8hrs when a ferry is involved.

BTW, the 8hrs rest in 30hrs is from the old drivers’ hours Regs (3820/85,) which was repealed and replaced by 561/2006 on 11/04/2007, so that just shows how out of date the question was that the OP had been given on the questionnaire.

Under the present rules, a total of 8hrs daily rest isn’t legal, even when multi-manning.