The Lost Skill of Sheeting & Roping

hiya,
Ste “polish the roof” i would’nt polish what you could see never mind that bit i was a driver there’s yard men for that job, i bet that’s got me in Bewicks bad books as well so we’d both be on the dole.
thanks harry long retired.

Bewick:
Anyone can be taught to open and close curtains nowadays but it was an entirely differen’t matter to learn the correct way to sheet and rope correctly ! While a lot of drivers managed to “get by” many who had been in the job for years never mastered the skill fully as you could see by some of the disgraceful attempts you saw flapping up and down the roads in days gone by !! However when you did see a lorry or trailer sheeted and roped in an immaculate fashion it sure was a sight to admire ! I was once told that the farther you went North the higher the standards became ( I suppose a lot of the Scottish drivers were acknowledged to be masters of their craft ) but believe me there were bad,passable and excellent fleets throughout the country ! I will vouch for that as we employed drivers from all over the country and in the main those lads were as good as any you would find ! Does anyone else have an opinion positive or negative on the skill of sheeting and roping !! To start the thread off I will put one or two Bewick photos on .

i was taught from the age of 10 how to rope and sheet and its like riding a bike you never forget. and it was also my dad who taught me

metcalfe181:

Bewick:
Anyone can be taught to open and close curtains nowadays but it was an entirely differen’t matter to learn the correct way to sheet and rope correctly ! While a lot of drivers managed to “get by” many who had been in the job for years never mastered the skill fully as you could see by some of the disgraceful attempts you saw flapping up and down the roads in days gone by !! However when you did see a lorry or trailer sheeted and roped in an immaculate fashion it sure was a sight to admire ! I was once told that the farther you went North the higher the standards became ( I suppose a lot of the Scottish drivers were acknowledged to be masters of their craft ) but believe me there were bad,passable and excellent fleets throughout the country ! I will vouch for that as we employed drivers from all over the country and in the main those lads were as good as any you would find ! Does anyone else have an opinion positive or negative on the skill of sheeting and roping !! To start the thread off I will put one or two Bewick photos on .

i was taught from the age of 10 how to rope and sheet and its like riding a bike you never forget. and it was also my dad who taught me

Here’s a Bewick sheeted and roped with a fly sheet over the mains un-roped!! The two main sheets with the horrible black squares on was a brand new set we bought off John E. Ion an owner driver from Milnthorpe they were apparently no good for the loads of Asbestos sheets he hauled but we gave them a try and while they did OK they were not as good to use as “rip stop canvas” so we didn’t get anymore!

Bewick:

metcalfe181:

Bewick:

Here’s a Bewick sheeted and roped with a fly sheet over the mains un-roped!! The two main sheets with the horrible black squares on was a brand new set we bought off John E. Ion an owner driver from Milnthorpe they were apparently no good for the loads of Asbestos sheets he hauled but we gave them a try and while they did OK they were not as good to use as “rip stop canvas” so we didn’t get anymore!

A shot of tri-axle 167 stood roped and sheeted with a mixed load in Henry Cookes at Beetham.

This is the last roping and sheeting job I did, a load of steel plate from the midlands to livingston.

Heres a regular sheeted load that I used to do from Jotun Paints in Brighton.

And my very first Class 1 load from Convoys, Deptford.

GS

hiya,
I always had two or three shortish ropes in the cab, and after putting the back then front sheets over the load always put a rope over as near as possible where the front sheet ended and tightened it up then the front cross and then every hook rearwards up to that first rope it getting all the slack out of the sheet to that point, then the back cross working forwards to that central rope i found this method took all the slack out of the back sheet, finally another short bit of rope for the “Dundee cross” finally topping out with the fly-sheet, no ropes over that “no flies on me” Dennis would’nt have tolerated putting ropes on the top skin, i don’ t think so anyway.

harry_gill:
hiya,
I always had two or three shortish ropes in the cab, and after putting the back then front sheets over the load always put a rope over as near as possible where the front sheet ended and tightened it up then the front cross and then every hook rearwards up to that first rope it getting all the slack out of the sheet to that point, then the back cross working forwards to that central rope i found this method took all the slack out of the back sheet, finally another short bit of rope for the “Dundee cross” finally topping out with the fly-sheet, no ropes over that “no flies on me” Dennis would’nt have tolerated putting ropes on the top skin, i don’ t think so anyway.

Hows the betting going at Liverpool “H” ? You must be gambling with the Bookies money by now surely “H” !! Yea dead right a written warning at the very least or a B*******g in the presence of one of the shop stewards ( who just happened to be some of our best lads on the sheets and ropes !!) WARNING DO NOT ROPE OVER THE FLY SHEET!!signed D.E.S. Good luck for the National “H”! Dennis.

Bewick:

harry_gill:
hiya,

Hows the betting going at Liverpool “H” ? You must be gambling with the Bookies money by now surely “H” !! Yea dead right a written warning at the very least or a B*******g in the presence of one of the shop stewards ( who just happened to be some of our best lads on the sheets and ropes !!) WARNING DO NOT ROPE OVER THE FLY SHEET!!signed D.E.S. Good luck for the National “H”! Dennis.

Nice little 4 wheeler load here ready to go!

Bewick:

Bewick:

harry_gill:
hiya,

Nice little 4 wheeler load here ready to go!

And here’s a shot of the back end N.B.note the short rope back and fron’t “H”.Dennis.

hiya,
Betting at Liverpool Dennis, as usual do the same as me take a stab at the paper with a pin, only time I ever did anything at Aintree was a couple of years ago was actually at the course on my own, no distractions, i actually came home with my trouser pockets literally bursting with money, I just followed the Irish boys and put my money where they did, actually had four winners on that occasion including the winner of the big un’, if i’d gone with my own selections picked out on the coach en-route i’d only have had one winner which would have covered expenses at the stake i would have put in place, so if anybody of Irish extraction who can preferably “rope and sheet” to Dennis’s and my standards and who is reading my rubbish, i’m open to all free information prior to the off.

hiya,
Ah’ well no offers of information, will just have to go down the road of using the pin method, am off now to see my financial advisor namely “Ladbrokes”,wish me luck am getting cheesed off of adding to his millions.

I have just scaned some pictures and stuff from truck magazine in 1977 about roping and sheeting. I can copy it but it won’t paste on here any ideas ?

sorted I hope
first page

hers the rest

more

more

sorry all in the wrong order

more

more