Standard Concrete mixer vs Volumetric Concrete Mixer

repton:

mixer driver too:

whybother:
Thats on a renault kerax with (apparently) heavy duty chassis…the plate shows 45 ton

I`d love to have just 38ton on mine, 10m drum, very good rates

It would be the same as everything else though, if all of a sudden all 8 leggers were allowed to gross 38ton everyone would be carrying it and the rates would come straight down to put profits squarely back where they are now.

Paul

Not really Paul…8m mixers get 20% more than 6m mixers…The 10m rate would climb pro rata and the Chassis/mixer unit would be same gross price…

mixer driver too:

whybother:
Apparently changes are soon to be brought in re definition of mobile plant. Vosa have been fighting lawyers hired by volumetric owners and are slowly getting the upper hand. I drive one and with the greedy boards can be legally loaded to 45 tons…have to make sure i take corners nice and steady!!

sooner the better! And the concrete is also not quality assured.

and i have seen some ■■■■■ come out of drums too :wink:

mixer driver too:
Not really Paul…8m mixers get 20% more than 6m mixers…The 10m rate would climb pro rata and the Chassis/mixer unit would be same gross price…

Yes really. If the law changed so you could run a 10m mixer for the same amount as an 8m mixer costs now you can bet your house on the fact that very quickly rates would be knocked down so that you would get the same for 10m as you do now for 8m leaving your profit margin exactly where it is now.

The same happened on bulk tippers when gross weights went up to 44t. Everyone thought “an extra few tons, brilliant, now we can actually make a decent profit” and near enough overnight the rates people were prepared to pay dropped and left everyone back exactly where they were before.

In fact the same is happening on bulk still as units and trailers get lighter and payloads improve. It wasn’t long ago you could get away with a 28t payload and anyone who could carry 29t was making good money. But gradually everyone got lighter kit and 29t became the norm, the rates adjusted to compensate and now you need 29t just to stay in business and 30t if you want to make a worthwhile profit.

Paul

Sorry disagree. .Mixer rates have NEVER come down.

mixer driver too:

Perhaps not but there hasn’t (that I’m aware of) been a step change in capacity of the kind you’re talking about before.

Think about it, if you were Tarmac/Lafarge/Cemex/etc and all of a sudden your subbies who could carry 8m were able to carry 10m. Would you sit there and think “excellent, our subcontractors can now all make good profits and buy holiday homes in the south of France” or would you think “well that means we can knock 20% of the rates we pay to our subbies without them going out of business which will allow us to reduce the prices to our customers and steal some business off our competitors”?

It would be the latter. You would only need one of the big players to do it and everyone else in the industry would be forced to follow or lose business.

That said it’s all academic anyway as the chances of them letting an 8 wheeler gross 38t is near zero.

Paul

Agree Paul…all hyperthetical…cheers

The one I drove was a nurock nuvm9 on a scania 8w and had it grossing 42 ton, it was also fitted with a donkey engine, also as a fitter we were inspecting them every 4weeks as part of company policy. As all wagons are done 4 weekly bar the arctics as volvo do them on a 6 weekly

repton:

mixer driver too:

Perhaps not but there hasn’t (that I’m aware of) been a step change in capacity of the kind you’re talking about before.

Think about it, if you were Tarmac/Lafarge/Cemex/etc and all of a sudden your subbies who could carry 8m were able to carry 10m. Would you sit there and think “excellent, our subcontractors can now all make good profits and buy holiday homes in the south of France” or would you think “well that means we can knock 20% of the rates we pay to our subbies without them going out of business which will allow us to reduce the prices to our customers and steal some business off our competitors”?

It would be the latter. You would only need one of the big players to do it and everyone else in the industry would be forced to follow or lose business.

That said it’s all academic anyway as the chances of them letting an 8 wheeler gross 38t is near zero.

Paul

I agree totally with Paul, from the days coming out of of Spain. If you couldn’t or wouldn’t carry 24 tons of onions, you didn’t get the work.