Scania R480

puntabrava:
I asked them to do the top end set up when I bought it and according to the Scania record system, it was done the day before collection.

Maybe they just arent that good, I’ve just come out of a 480 FH into a 480 Scania, its gut less compared to the FH, theyre both are 12 speed manuals, the FH will go up the Orwell bridge in 11th at top weight, the scania needs a whole shift to 10th, for the same situation :unamused: only moved so I could change depots, really liked the Volvo :wink:

eddie snax:

puntabrava:
I asked them to do the top end set up when I bought it and according to the Scania record system, it was done the day before collection.

Maybe they just arent that good, I’ve just come out of a 480 FH into a 480 Scania, its gut less compared to the FH, theyre both are 12 speed manuals, the FH will go up the Orwell bridge in 11th at top weight, the scania needs a whole shift to 10th, for the same situation :unamused: only moved so I could change depots, really liked the Volvo :wink:

Yes the Volvo would be a good truck but thin on the ground secondhand in tag format. Seems from a few posters that the R480 is not a lugger, need to find another chipping company it seems.

kberg:
We have plenty of r480’s and none of them run the same.
Some run like a 480 should, and some run fine, until going up a grade.
The not so good ones seems to run fine, but just don’t make the torque when it really needs it.

Then there are some that can not decide if it is a good or bad running one, it might pull like nothing else in the morning, then get lazy on the way back :imp:

They have been to the dealer umpteen ties, but as usual, it is driver error, or nothing wrong with their amazing product.

I am thinking egr valve myself, we have had issues with those, and it seems to run ok for a week or two after they have been “fixed”

Yeah the 13l are really something. The first of them has a recall on the engine block. Faulty casting, but it will show on high oil consumption. The intercooler has extended warranty, may have something to do with the sky high boost pressure they are running. Cracks quite easy and can be quite hard to find the leak.

VGT turbo may get stuck some times resulting in narrow power band. The 13l should pull best around 1000-1200rpm
Was out on a test drive after the block change with a mechanic sitting in the passenger seat with the test computer. At 1000rpm it already had full boost pressure according to the computer.

Also think it doesn’t have enough cooling. Feels like it looses a lot of power on long hills, mean like ex RV15 from Stryn east with 49t gross I was down in low 2 and it almost stalled in the swings.

The XPI injection was a rush job and was long way from finished when the 13l was released.

12l on the other hand works like a dream and there is no problem with tuning on those engines. Paddborg guys pushing almost 600hp from them without any problems.

Luckily the last 13l is gone from us now. Driving a tuned 620 at the moment and that really is something. Holy hell it pulls.

It’s missing two cylinders.

There is after all, no replacement for displacement.

philberg182:
Get them to check out the EGR valve out as they are useless, you can blank it off and bypass it but it puts a light on the dash. I’ll bet that will be your problem. PM Globby480 , he runs a couple of them and has had dealings with the EGR valves on them both in the past.

Sometimes can be an option to blank them in a way that lets just enough through to keep the sensors happy.

Should have bought a V8 drive…!

Ring Scantune if the dealer don’t sort it.

Silver_Surfer:

I cant see how any long term gain can be had from remapping lorry engines… Surely the right thing to do is just to spec a V8 next time, it will last longer and i’d put money on it that the op will see better fuel returns providing he doesnt kick the arse end out of it.

Saaamon:

Silver_Surfer:

I cant see how any long term gain can be had from remapping lorry engines… Surely the right thing to do is just to spec a V8 next time, it will last longer and i’d put money on it that the op will see better fuel returns providing he doesnt kick the arse end out of it.

We have 2 remapped 12l engines. Both of them now with close to 1 million km without any problem. Normally we do also do the same with v8s after the warranty has expired. The ones left with manual also get the waste gate plugged (doesn’t work on opticruise) and no problems there either.
620 I’ve been driving recently should have between 750 and 800hp in the engine and my goodness it’s fun to drive :slight_smile: + it really shows on fuel consumption numbers

Pimpdaddy:
Should have bought a V8 drive…!

I looked for 4 months, try finding one that hasn’t done a lump of km’s.

Own Account Driver:
Sometimes can be an option to blank them in a way that lets just enough through to keep the sensors happy.

Why do you want to do that?? total waste of time and effort tbh, there is a easyier fix with the egr and will very rarely put the puff light on the dash… and it will cost you all of 80p ~ £1.00…
the 480"s we have very rarely come down of the limiters with full weight on them up hills both manual and opti"s … and the 480"s we have are half decent on fuel returns as well… also a lot is down to the gearing what gearbox is in it is it on or around the 1100rpm on the limiter or on or around 1450rpm on the limiter this can be a issue as well for pulling :wink: