Scammel iron horse?

Fairly certain this is a Scammel, used for aircraft refuelling at local airports and airfields

Sniffy:
Fairly certain this is a Scammel, used for aircraft refuelling at local airports and airfields

This is the 6 Tonner & Reg. 1936. Regards Larry.

gingerfold:
I don’t think that they went fast enough to need an emergency stop. :confused: :confused:

hi
if I remember right, they only went about 20mph. a red light came on on the dash as you approached this dizzy speed. the rear of the cab was made from tongue and grooved planks of wood, one day as I was whooshing along I hit a big bump in the road ,and the back of the cab fell out… lol :open_mouth: they also had central locking! you could lock both doors without moving out the drivers seat :laughing:

Retired Old ■■■■:
I often wonder how they managed to stop, with no front brake and that Heath Robinson coupling for the trailer. I’m guessing there was no such thing as an emergency stop?

Hiya…can’t remember the the brithish rail lads going very fast. to do a emergency stop you need to gather a little speed.
John

What better load can you carry :smiley:

Tidy outfit, ideal light-load!

IMG_NEW.jpg

adr:
What better load can you carry :smiley:

Great Photo of this 1936 old Scammell, & The beer of course, Regards Larry.

I remember as a lad standing in Buchanan Street, Glasgow, seeing a fully laden Scammell Mechanical Horse unable to climb the hill up to the now defunct Buchanan Street railway station. Someone from the station produced a live clydesdale horse and hooked it on to the mechanical one to give it a tow and complete its journey.

The Romford Brewery one looks to be a rigid,cant say I ever saw one of them. :unamused: :confused: :slight_smile:

I was about to make the same observation. The chassis seems to be quite a hefty job. Just what I need as an allotment barrow!

hi shirtbox
leeds corporation had a large fleet of the ridged scammel as dust bin lorrys,+ the artic version as gully cleaners and waste paper salvage.
regards to all
sm1

Westminster Council had electric Scarab dustcarts.
Bernard

Redburn’s transport of Enfield used to have at least one to shunt trailers from Enfield Rolling Mills across the road into their yard, when moving a heavy trailer it was common site to see two or three spare drivers standing on the front bumper to hold the front wheel down on the ground so the driver could steer it, happy days.

Ossie

Hi.
Robsons of Carlisle had one parked up in their Flitwick yard,it was in very good order