Russell Davies

robert1952:
It has been suggested that Russell Davies possibly ran an operation in Jeddah, Saudi in the '70s or '80s. Anyone know anything about this? Or drive out there for them? Or what lorries they used? Robert

was it fred archer they are confused with they ran from the same yard in duke st I think

Russell Davies, was from Pontadawe, S.Wales, he had a son Glyn who moved to Felixstow.He later started the Russell Davies transport fron there also Hanbury Davies, russells middle name, they also did container work for Geest there were 3volvos parked at S.WARDS Containers, Bridgend. here,s an early fodens21 of Russell Davies.

I believe RD when he first went into Felixstowe,was running news print paper reels, 2 loads per shift to Fleet St.
Containers where not so dominant those early days
Those days Felixstowe was only an up and coming Dock nothing like it is now,a lot of the small ships where turned around on the tide even on a Saturday morning.

Has anyone got any photos of Russell Davies they seemed to always have new and clean lorries i have the Russell Davies book that Simon Waspe wrote Russell Davies seemed to have so many lorries painted in different shipping lines like Evergreen Geest Dipgrove just a few to mention

Has Anyone got any stories or anything to say about Russell Davies

i dont thinkmany have much to add to the books content

They sold out and then set up again as Hanbury Davies and then sold out again, making millions in both sales - a smart haulier.

My dad worked fro them out of Rugby, late seventies early eighties. Good memories, I’m suprised that there are not many pics on here of them■■?

Brill stuff, I have the book and there is actually a picture in there of PDX32W, it says a general haulage motor leaving the yard. Strange because I took the Seat covers off the truck when it came new and it was used for the night trunk Rugby to ipswich and during the day to the North■■? The book itself is ok, but not totally correct, doesn’t hardly mention the Rugby depot that was situated at the back of the George service garage, some change overs were done in Rugby town centre by the engine pub and some on the old Rendezvous cafe.

JFPants:
My dad worked fro them out of Rugby, late seventies early eighties. Good memories, I’m suprised that there are not many pics on here of them■■?

theres a book full of the history of russell davis 111 quadron prob have your dads name in most have bought it so no for me to see them on here ive a book full them curtesy of simon waspe pm euromat he prob be able to sort you out one :wink: :wink:

Heres one to be getting on with.

I worked for a company in Diss, Norfolk called Cartco, they got bought out by Russel Davies, this was their first trek into curtainside work (all their other trucks being container motors) i was on a 7.5tonner, RD put me thru my test, my first HGV was H658AMF, altough for some reason Simon Waspe didnt get this fact correct in his book.
RD took over the transport of warehousing company in Stanton, between Bury St Edmunds and Diss called McGregor Cory (formerly Obel, previously ran by Borroughes of Bressingham), RD bought new motors for the contract painted up in MgGregor Cory colours, mainly FL10’s, which was the mainstay of the company at the time, unfortunatly the only pic i can find of McGregor Cory livered tucks is 1 of my new M.A.N, not bad, just passed my test, and within 6 months i’d had 2 brand new trucks.

McGregor Cory livery

Brill stuff, I have the book and there is actually a picture in there of PDX32W, it says a general haulage motor leaving the yard. Strange because I took the Seat covers off the truck when it came new and it was used for the night trunk Rugby to ipswich and during the day to the North■■? The book itself is ok, but not totally correct, doesn’t hardly mention the Rugby depot that was situated at the back of the George service garage, some change overs were done in Rugby town centre by the engine pub and some on the old Rendezvous cafe.

A company i used to drive for in the early 90s AML Transport of wigston leics, bought an ex RD Iveco 220 30 E766 MMK.
3rd one in.

did’nt they run the container base at felixstow ? i remember going in there when i was a nipper with my stepdad .

[Yes they did, I went there too. normally we went to the west bank ferry terminal in Ipswich. the garage was in Duke street ipswich where we used to diesel up and wash the truck on a friday night, that was if the miserable garage foreman would let us have the keys to the steam cleaner. Cyril I think was his name, good old carrott crunching Suffolk accent he had. :slight_smile: There used to be a load of paul magnus and dcduk motors parked there by the garage.

bowser:
did’nt they run the container base at felixstow ? i remember going in there when i was a nipper with my stepdad .

No they didn’t,it just seemed like it because they had so many trucks and a huge container storage depot.
But so did the likes of P&O,Goodways and Taylor-Barnard.

KW:

bowser:

No they didn’t,it just seemed like it because they had so many trucks and a huge container storage depot.
But so did the likes of P&O,Goodways and Taylor-Barnard.

Well maybe not owned it as such, but had huge operations from there as did others like you say. Well it all looked pretty huge, even from the day cab of a 111 Scania.