Preston To Edinburgh Best Route 18 tonne

LeedsChris:
I go to Livingston twice a week through the night with a step-deck trailer and often wonder about coming off the m74, onto a702 and then somehow cut up into Livingston, but i don’t want to risk getting stuck.At the moment i come off at j5 m74, then up the big hill past Bellshill, and head for M8 Edingburgh.I exit the M8 at J4 or J3a, whichever takes my preference.

Is the 702 quicker for me?

That is six and half a dozen really can’t think of any decent roads from the A702 upto livingston, should try M74,A70,A721,A706,A71 that will bring you right into Livingston avoiding the whole M8. That’s the way I would go but I’m from up this way so it wouldn’t bother me if there was a diversion as I know the area well. Should try it at least once time yourself could come in handy if the M8 had a major crash.

Yeah I see what your saying, I also don’t know about his previous posts.

merc0447:

LeedsChris:
I go to Livingston twice a week through the night with a step-deck trailer and often wonder about coming off the m74, onto a702 and then somehow cut up into Livingston, but i don’t want to risk getting stuck.At the moment i come off at j5 m74, then up the big hill past Bellshill, and head for M8 Edingburgh.I exit the M8 at J4 or J3a, whichever takes my preference.

That is six and half a dozen really can’t think of any decent roads from the A702 upto livingston, should try M74,A70,A721,A706,A71 that will bring you right into Livingston avoiding the whole M8. That’s the way I would go but I’m from up this way so it wouldn’t bother me if there was a diversion as I know the area well. Should try it at least once time yourself could come in handy if the M8 had a major
crash.

I’ll give it a go this week.We come back empty, so i will try it when i have left Palletways Livingston.

bigvern1:
And what a guess from the great know all from Leeds. The trip adds 26 miles, nowhere near the 50 he came up with.

“Only” 26 miles. Well that makes it alright then. :unamused:

No wonder he went bankrupt.

More BS from you, no doubt pulled from one of your fabricated Facebook pages.

Better road, mostly dual carriageway so less gear changes and the like. Case rested.

The M6 and A55 are all dual carriageway from Birmingham to Holyhead but you wouldn’t go that way would you? :unamused: The M1 and M62 are all dual carriageway from Sheffield to Manchester but you wouldn’t go that way would you? :unamused: Oh wait, yes, you would, because you’re not paying for the fuel are you! :unamused:

The 702 is a perfectly decent road and can be driven flat out for a good 50% of it.

Livingston is a different matter as that’s a third of the way down the M8 so perfectly reasonable to go via Bellshill in a truck given that there’s no other direct route.

merc0447:

LeedsChris:

That is six and half a dozen really can’t think of any decent roads from the A702 upto livingston, should try M74,A70,A721,A706,A71 that will bring you right into Livingston avoiding the whole M8. That’s the way I would go but I’m from up this way so it wouldn’t bother me if there was a diversion as I know the area well. Should try it at least once time yourself could come in handy if the M8 had a major crash.

I’m in Bathgate quite often and the way merc say’s takes me 45 mins if you don’t hang about and if I go around,up to Raith (J5) it’s the same time.

+1 about trying once.

Well Rob I live in Barnsley and work out of there and sometimes I use the M1 M62 for Manchester depending on the time of day or what sort of load I have on. I.e a top heavy load I ain’t going over Woodhead plus no matter what time of day it is you waste so much time at Mottrem which ever way you are travelling.

Boring Mr K. Nice to know you drive other peoples trucks (If you do) flat out on A roads. Or do you pay for the diesel you burn whilst charging the agency for your time? Much better to stay constant rather than up and down gears, using the brakes etc… But of course yo know that. :smiley:

Like most have said A702. If you can, swing onto the side & visit the chippy in Biggar, it’s open all day & they a wonderful small haggis in batter for about £1.