Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 2)

Utter crap like the TM was inferior to the F88 and AEC saved Leyland Group.

In general it would be fair to say that the Ozzie’s, like most of the English speaking world, rightly preferred/prefer American kit obviously starting with engines and drivelines.
Ironically the Brits could and did meet that requirement far better than the Swedes.
While the stated contemporary cab designs were also far closer to the standards of the KW cab over than the F88 was, at the time before the F10 existed.
As for SDU’s view of that, it’s about as credible as his idea that the the TM wasn’t a premium market sector product v the F88.Both being contemporary products.Or that Foden was finished by the early 1970’s.
When CAT engined Fodens are obviously still in working use today let alone the early 70’s with video evidence to prove it.Past and Present indeed.

There you go again, throwing random words into the conversation to. If you can’t stay focused, leave the discussion to the grown ups.

Thanks, that answers my question :grinning:. I assume a coaming rail is what we call the rave - the metal surrounds to the flat bed. Yachts have a coaming rail so I think it’s the same thing.

1 Like

Yep the TM outsold the F88 hands down the ones with the V8 Detroit were the bees knees they couldn’t make enough of them.
No one could save Leyland let alone a proud company that the Leyland management ripped the heart and sole out of

Only you Carryfast, could get Bedford and premium into a single sentence, without a negative. I have a granddaughter with whom I could have a more intelligent conversation, on trucks, than you!
The Volvo was ten years old, by the time Bedford offered the TM. Two years later the F10/12 superseded the 88/89s. If you think that was in response to the TM, you’re seriously deluded. I would have thought even you would have known it takes far longer than a couple of years to design, develop, build prototypes and test a new vehicle.
A premium truck is more than the sum of its parts. Bedford had no history of building premium trucks, so it’s no surprise it would have missed the mark. A premium truck is so much more than a big engine below a cab with a few fancy accoutrements. Speaking of engines, they missed that mark too. Maybe the rails were too flimsy to accept the 855, 350 or 400 Cu mmins.
Again, your limited knowledge and experience glows like a beacon.

Haha, I’d always assumed that the rave was what we call the coaming rail.

Oh gosh, I better retract my post. I had no idea the TM was that good. :face_with_peeking_eye:

It wasn’t it’s just another argument for him

I was being facetious, hence the wink.

How the hell would you know? You’ve never driven either.

Back to a few pictures

1 Like

When the domestic TM did eventually get a Cummins, it was the L10 - not one of Cummins’s better products. :wink:

Love the row of C-series ERFs above, Gateshead :star_struck:

images - 2024-06-06T221913.881
Nev Rosenzweig Volvo G88 Hudson
images - 2024-06-06T221847.692

1 Like

Shhh, we Cummins fans are trying to sweep that one under the carpet. :roll_eyes: The M11 that superseded it was rather ordinary.

1 Like

The Australian transport business when British motors were used really interests me. It’s suprising that we supplied any larger motors to the Aussies bearing in mind the weights they worked at the distances and weather conditions. As SDU said our vehicles were designed for our little island grossing 32 tons at the time . It’s amazing and probably likely to the fact that the Aussies were very ingenious and could make our motors earn a crust out there.He mentions Atkinson were the only company that built their motors to Aussie spec which would i guess have made them more popular. The true testament of our legacy is there for all to see on Outback Opal Hunters where the Young Guns have an old Mickey Mouse cabbed Foden 8 wheeler the blokes at Cober Pedy have a Mammoth Major unit and there are still TKs and D Series scattered about. Obviously rarely used but still surviving

When the domestic TM did eventually get a Cummins, it was the L10 -
We had 3 TMs with 14 litre 290s and 10 speed spicers-cracking, flying motor!

1 Like

:rofl: Think I’d prefer a 10 litre Cummins with its Fuller than a 14 litre with a Spicer. Personal preference - didn’t get on with Spicers! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The secret to a Spicer is to forget RoadRanger, slip it into neutral to change range.

1 Like

That’s the only and proper way SDU :smiley: