Passed in an automatic & BRAKES

Evil8Beezle:
Can I just add that when you drive for a living and get paid for it, the last thing you want to be doing is then doing it for nothing! :open_mouth:
Obviously as a Newbie your options are limited, and you have to take work where you can get it to build up your experience, but after a while the travelling becomes wearing. Plus as a Newbie you’re tired enough from just learning the job, and you need to conserve your energy. So yes take a job that requires a bit of travel, but only consider it as a short term option to open the door, and look to move on to something more local as soon as you possibly can…

Best of luck! :smiley:

Thanks for that, that’s what I’m thinking. TBH seeing the other current thread on Brakes I’m having serious doubts about it anyway. Not much more money, lots of travel and a killer job. As stated I’m not fit, I think it would probably kill me and I’d end up throwing the towel in.

Does anyway think Liverpool/Merseyside would have more work than South Wales?

Thanks

swebb:

Evil8Beezle:
Can I just add that when you drive for a living and get paid for it, the last thing you want to be doing is then doing it for nothing! :open_mouth:
Obviously as a Newbie your options are limited, and you have to take work where you can get it to build up your experience, but after a while the travelling becomes wearing. Plus as a Newbie you’re tired enough from just learning the job, and you need to conserve your energy. So yes take a job that requires a bit of travel, but only consider it as a short term option to open the door, and look to move on to something more local as soon as you possibly can…

Best of luck! :smiley:

Thanks for that, that’s what I’m thinking. TBH seeing the other current thread on Brakes I’m having serious doubts about it anyway. Not much more money, lots of travel and a killer job. As stated I’m not fit, I think it would probably kill me and I’d end up throwing the towel in.

Does anyway think Liverpool/Merseyside would have more work than South Wales?

Thanks

I had a read of that thread also, sounds very bleak indeed. Save yourself the toll money and start looking your side of the bridge, well that’s what I would do anyway…

Of course Brakes and food service in general is bleak, that’s why they’ll take on new drivers. :wink:
Pallets is also a reasonable place to start for a Newbie, easier work and thus as you’d expect, less money.
But for a Newbie it’s all about getting a foot on the ladder…

Evil8Beezle:
Of course Brakes and food service in general is bleak, that’s why they’ll take on new drivers. :wink:
Pallets is also a reasonable place to start for a Newbie, easier work and thus as you’d expect, less money.

Hmm… thing is I don’t think Blakes and food service in general pay a premium cos it’s crap.

It’s a ■■■■ job on ■■■■ money, the only thing good about them that they will generally give new passes a start to gain valuable experience. There is a reason for this, in that their turnover is astronomical, hence why they are never NOT advertising.

I wouldn’t expect (or tolerate) a drop in wages from any kind of pallet network type company or any other just cos the work was viewed as easier. Class 1 trunking is an absolute doddle, very easy, and it’s some of the best paying work going…

Londontrucker123:

Evil8Beezle:

Hmm… thing is I don’t think Blakes and food service in general pay a premium cos it’s crap.

It’s a [zb] job on [zb] money, the only thing good about them that they will generally give new passes a start to gain valuable experience. There is a reason for this, in that their turnover is astronomical, hence why they are never NOT advertising.

I wouldn’t expect (or tolerate) a drop in wages from any kind of pallet network type company or any other just cos the work was viewed as easier. Class 1 trunking is an absolute doddle, very easy, and it’s some of the best paying work going…

Let’s be rational here mate, as we are talking about Newbies with zero experience!
Where else can you walk into a 30k job with no experience? :open_mouth: Yes class 1 trunking is physically a lot easier for the money, but that’s class 1 and probably also night work if it’s trunking, so that also pays a premium. Let’s not compare apples with oranges, as this thread is about a Class 2 Newbie looking to get a start. :wink:

Evil8Beezle:

Londontrucker123:

Evil8Beezle:

It’s a [zb] job on [zb] money, the only thing good about them that they will generally give new passes a start to gain valuable experience. There is a reason for this, in that their turnover is astronomical, hence why they are never NOT advertising.

Let’s be rational here mate, as we are talking about Newbies with zero experience!
Where else can you walk into a 30k job with no experience? :open_mouth: Yes class 1 trunking is physically a lot easier for the money, but that’s class 1 and probably also night work if it’s trunking, so that also pays a premium. Let’s not compare apples with oranges, as this thread is about a Class 2 Newbie looking to get a start. :wink:

Rational? The yearly salary is unimportant my friend, as it’s normally advertised at that so people will see a nice attractive number, and think I’ll apply there. And that number is probably total bull ■■■■ anyway.

It’s the hourly rate that matters. Do you pay overtime after a certain time or just straight time for every hour? If so, how much over the basic rate is the overtime rate, etc., etc., Ask them how many hours on average would I have to do every week to hit £30 grand a year. I would expect that number to be at the very least - 60, probably more.

What you are saying is expect a drop in wages if you switch to pallet type work, no?

Londontrucker123:
What you are saying is expect a drop in wages if you switch to pallet type work, no?

In my area yes I am, as 25k is generally the advertised wage on pallets and 30k for food service at my local P&H. They are both advertising the same bull where you’ll be doing 50+ hours a week to earn it, but that’s still comparing oranges with oranges as the overtime rates and when they kick in will probably be similar.

I agree that the hourly rate and generally T&C’s are the numbers that really count, but for a Newbie they are less important as they don’t have a great deal of choice. It’s different for you and I as we can knock on doors that just aren’t open to them, and if we don’t like what we hear, we have the choice to knock on another door, they don’t!

I’m not saying Pallets is a great job, just that for a zero experience Newbie that needs a start, it’s probably going to be a bit less physical than the likes of Brakes, and as such the pay is likely to reflect this…

Evil8Beezle:

Londontrucker123:

In my area yes I am, as 25k is generally the advertised wage on pallets and 30k for food service at my local P&H. They are both advertising the same bull where you’ll be doing 50+ hours a week to earn it, but that’s still comparing oranges with oranges as the overtime rates and when they kick in will probably be similar.

I agree that the hourly rate and generally T&C’s are the numbers that really count, but for a Newbie they are less important as they don’t have a great deal of choice. It’s different for you and I as we can knock on doors that just aren’t open to them, and if we don’t like what we hear, we have the choice to knock on another door, they don’t!

I’m not saying Pallets is a great job, just that for a zero experience Newbie that needs a start, it’s probably going to be a bit less physical than the like of Brakes, and as such the pay is likely to reflect this…

Yeah I agree to an extent, the more experience you have then the more doors open in time, definitely. Nothing beats experience ultimately. The more you know…

But have a little read of this link if you will. This is the reported average salary by 483 of Brakes own drivers over the last 12 months… indeed.co.uk/cmp/Brakes/salaries

Londontrucker123:
But have a little read of this link if you will. This is the reported average salary by 483 of Brakes own drivers over the last 12 months… indeed.co.uk/cmp/Brakes/salaries

Those wages are rubbish, although there does seem quite a spread, and 2 categories there that fit the job, Truck Driver and Delivery Driver. So overall hard to say what the actually salary is for a standard 48 hour week. Plus it’s bound to vary by region and driver demand…
I’ve never worked for Brakes, and don’t even know (or care) where my nearest depot is. My experience, and point is more about the fact that generally the higher the offered pay, the more blood and sweat you’ll have to give when a Newbie. I had a mate on the books doing Next home deliveries whilst I was on the pallets, and whilst he was earning more than the full time guys I was limping alongside, I definitely wouldn’t have done his job ■■■■■■■ furniture into peoples homes and up stairs. Just as I turned down flat a well paying gig offer from my agency when they said it was for the Bath Store! :laughing:

Evil8Beezle:

Londontrucker123:

Those wages are rubbish, although there does seem quite a spread, and 2 categories there that fit the job, Truck Driver and Delivery Driver. So overall hard to say what the actually salary is for a standard 48 hour week. Plus it’s bound to vary by region and driver demand…
I’ve never worked for Brakes, and don’t even know (or care) where my nearest depot is. My experience, and point is more about the fact that generally the higher the offered pay, the more blood and sweat you’ll have to give when a Newbie. I had a mate on the books doing Next home deliveries whilst I was on the pallets, and whilst he was earning more than the full time guys I was limping alongside, I definitely wouldn’t have done his job ■■■■■■■ furniture into peoples homes and up stairs. Just as I turned down flat a well paying gig offer from my agency when they said it was for the Bath Store! :laughing:

Well here’s what the very company themselves have been advertising at - in Bristol - in just the last 4/5 months…

reed.co.uk/jobs/class-2-mult … l/30519843

To anyone who sees some fantastic salary on offer, see if it says ‘up to’ before the actual number…

That alone should tell you that is not anywhere near the actual pay on offer.

On the above link for example, take the middle of any pay range and then you might be getting close…

Londontrucker123:

Evil8Beezle:

Londontrucker123:

Well here’s what the very company themselves have been advertising at - in Bristol - in just the last 4/5 months…

reed.co.uk/jobs/class-2-mult … l/30519843

To anyone who sees some fantastic salary on offer, see if it says ‘up to’ before the actual number…

That alone should tell you that is not anywhere near the actual pay on offer.

On the above link for example, take the middle of any pay range and then you might be getting close…

Well those wages really are crap! :imp:
And all I can assume is that wages are low in that area…
Which would make me think that pallets will be even lower, however if I’m wrong on that, to me it’s a no brainer to try pallets instead! :laughing:

This is the ad I applied for indeed.co.uk/viewjob?jk=815122922d9b67cb

Different salary and on the phone they said it was 45hours. Looks like that can’t be trusted. I know beggars can’t be choosers, but if I’ll be coming home with the same money out of my current very cushy job I think I will hold out for a local job. Something less demanding until I find my confidence.

Thank you everyone for your honest opinions.

nfk2001:
Well done on your pass, whereas I have not worked for Brakes so not able to able to say what the job is like. I have done my fair share of driving assessments, and have like yourself I learned in a auto but found the change over very easy once out on the road.

One the most helpfully things I found was a picture gudide to different gear boxs and a quickly explaining how they each work, when I did work at P&H and Royal Mail it tended to be 6 speed dafs so no problems. LGV TRAINING TIPS [Reworked 01/02/2022] (Read only) - NEW AND WANNABE DRIVERS (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK I have a feeling this guide was made by ROG, so massive thank you that.

While out on the drive I would say take your time and notice the road signs, I got questioned on a height limit this morning, driving down a road I have taken coaches of the same height under but couldn’t tell you for the life of me what the sign said. (Turns out it is a 14ft limited and I was in a 13ft truck.)

Also have a read up on driving hours for EU hours and WTD had questions today on double manning crews, breaks, daily and weekly rest breaks. Also I have found for the most part there is always questions on speed limits and road signs.

On a side, my first job on the class 2 was at PH with the agency. When I started it wasn’t an driving assessment more of go out for the day with a driver learn the job and paperwork as long as your happy the next day back in there out by myself. But its was a sink or swin kind of thing.

Best of luck.

P+H gave me two weeks training it’s company policy apparently. So someone’s not done their job correctly. But then again I was employed by P+H

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Londontrucker123:

Evil8Beezle:

Londontrucker123:

Evil8Beezle:

Rational? The yearly salary is unimportant my friend, as it’s normally advertised at that so people will see a nice attractive number, and think I’ll apply there. And that number is probably total bull [zb] anyway.

It’s the hourly rate that matters. Do you pay overtime after a certain time or just straight time for every hour? If so, how much over the basic rate is the overtime rate, etc., etc., Ask them how many hours on average would I have to do every week to hit £30 grand a year. I would expect that number to be at the very least - 60, probably more.

I don’t agree with you. I have done refrigeration work and pallet freight. I would far rather do refrigeration with a company like Brakes. Treat folk well and few leave… which is why I haven’t got a job yet at my local depot!

They do pay £26k to Class 1 and Class 2 - reason being that Class 2 is hard work but Class 1 folk have paid out for Class 1 and the job is a bit easier just going from depot to depot. Class 2 delivery is to Restaurants, Hotels, shops. There is ‘handball’ but boxes of food that are not that heavy individually but one will have perhaps four pallets 4 ft high to unload - 6 stops a day on average. I love it, meeting folk and occasionally lunch provided - it’s a job you like or loath. I’ve only done it at weekends on agency and been paid £10.50 ph. The OP has probably heard back by now. However, I would say one would be grateful for good reversing experience (like dustcarts) as the 18 & 26Ts I’ve driven are extended and you will have to reverse up to the kitchen.

Pallet freight work is rather different. Often under time constraints and a delivery like a Rayburn cooker to a gravel drive is an utter pain. Trouble with pallet work is the domestic deliveries - while it’s roadside delivery (in theory) it frequently means leaving in the drive which is often gravel and pallet trucks don’t like gravel! Also pallets of concrete slabs and similar have to be ‘handballed’ and that takes time and effort. So one is late for the next delivery! Last job I did was delivering acoustic panels to a popstar - two double space pallets and a gravel drive. Reversing into the ‘S’ shaped drive in the dark was ‘fun’ with only 2 ins spare between walls. He was helpful and three of us got them off but took time. As for hourly paid… if you get deliveries like that there is the accusation that you are taking too long - which I resent. Thing is the firm should not have sent me out with two double pallets as they can’t be lifted by a pallet truck - I didn’t get invited back… there aren’t many folk that would have done that delivery without a sweat!

I prefer a salary as hourly paid leads to problems in my experience. Anyway the OP has heard by now and I hope they’ve taken the job.

^^^^ No worries, whatever works for you, works for you. Each to their own…

Londontrucker123:

Sure - I didn’t mean it unkindly in any way. Hourly paid is tradition but if one’s delayed I’ve found I’m accused of knocking up my wage… despite the tracker and tacho recording crawling speed in traffic.

jessejazza:

Londontrucker123:

Sure - I didn’t mean it unkindly in any way. Hourly paid is tradition but if one’s delayed I’ve found I’m accused of knocking up my wage… despite the tracker and tacho recording crawling speed in traffic.

Not a problem. It wasn’t taken as such :slight_smile: