Parcel companies. Should they be more regulated

toonsy:
Third its a massively inefficient operation. I ordered a three items for my lad the other day from Foot Asylum and they sent two items out one day and the third one the next. How wasteful when they could have combined shipping by sending it all together just one day later halving the processing, packaging, transportation and courier trips to my house. I’ve also ordered some retro sweets for Christmas just and got offered same day delivery. Why? There is absolutely no need.

Foot Asylum ship from their stores, not a central warehouse, the goods will come from whichever store has the stock. A lot of retailers are doing the same now to cut costs. Schuh, Ralph Lauren to name a couple. They still have distribution warehouses but they don’t have to employ staff to pack and ship orders.

toonsy:
Third its a massively inefficient operation. I ordered a three items for my lad the other day from Foot Asylum and they sent two items out one day and the third one the next. How wasteful when they could have combined shipping by sending it all together just one day later halving the processing, packaging, transportation and courier trips to my house. I’ve also ordered some retro sweets for Christmas just and got offered same day delivery. Why? There is absolutely no need.

Because the companies tend to have more than one Warehouse, the bigger they are and their product catalogue is the more they have.

I did do a video on this very topic. The problem- companies offing way too much for way too little. Next day delivery at the price it often is is utterly ridiculous. Next day delivery for vast majority of stuff is ridiculous. So much pressure put on drivers it’s crazy. You think truck driving is a tough job? Come out in a parcel van for a day!

youtu.be/teKrNiD4EMo

I live in a fairly small town. There were no National Sunday papers in any of the shops/supermarket because the distributor couldnt get a driver. I think that those involved in the race to the bottom have found the bottom.

switchlogic:
I did do a video on this very topic. The problem- companies offing way too much for way too little. Next day delivery at the price it often is is utterly ridiculous. Next day delivery for vast majority of stuff is ridiculous. So much pressure put on drivers it’s crazy. You think truck driving is a tough job? Come out in a parcel van for a day!

youtu.be/teKrNiD4EMo

I have tried doing 100 plus drops in a van many years ago when I was younger and fitter. I know how bad the job was then without being able to be tracked down the meter. Can’t think of hand now who the company was we were trialling doing the multidrop for. I lasted 2 days on it, and had to have help half way round the first day as most items were not going to get delivered.

Mind it was literally turn up 3 people helping lob a massive pile of parcels in the van and here’s your route off you go. So I spent ages trying to find each parcel for each drop and assumed the route was in route order. Which it wasn’t so ended up going back on myself several times during the day.

Never tried multidrop ever since nd have no desire to.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

switchlogic:

youtu.be/teKrNiD4EMo

Today i topped my 23 year record of 145 drops, did my first drop at 9:12 and had 95 done by midday. slowed down after lunch with 50 more deliveries plus a few collections, still got to my last pick up at 5pm.

Royal Mail strikes have screwed the parcel industry this peak season, not that the parcel companies will be complaining. Truck driving isn’t an easy job but most people wouldn’t people wouldn’t last 5 mins doing multidrop, personally i love it, i’ve seen hundreds come and go over the years, pressure from management and ridiculous productivity deadlines certainly weed out most people.

A few people online and some I know in person didn’t think I’d last 5 minutes at it but I’m still going 6 months later, tho that’s in large part to moving to a 4 on 3 off shift pattern. The most drops I’ve ever done was 94 round Oswestry, so all next to each other. The most on my route, Corwen is 70. Both seem low compared to many but both have an hour and a half + drive to get to first drop and obv an hour an a half back. Getting to first drop at 11:30 is good going, mostly after midday. Most drivers hate these runs but fact Corwen is high mileage and 90% rural is why I like it. Most days over 70% of my day doing drops is spent on single track country lanes and believe it or not some days approaching 20% on farm tracks.

As an erstwhile Nightfreight C&D driver on a similar kind of route (albeit with less drops but a 15-ton vehicle), I bloody salute you for that one sir! Chapeau! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: