Old haulage companies in Thurrock

Well tetleysmooth i remember newens ok,i worked for terry creasey pats son.Pat creasey used to have his yard on the old A13 at the back of the sheel garage purfleet.He had dark blue 110 scanias includeing a six wheel 110 tractor,all day cabs,they had F Creasey on the headboard but later changed the name to newens when they moved down near harris,s in thurrock.Do you remember frank lampard had a few scanias in a yard in thurrock,i think he done containers.

boyzee, after creasey moved out of that shell garage it was a commercial vehicle workshop run by a ex milehams fitter, mo rogers, he was there for a few years, do you remember him?. i last saw him working for patsy ahearn in romford. :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

boyzee:
Well tetleysmooth i remember newens ok,i worked for terry creasey pats son.Pat creasey used to have his yard on the old A13 at the back of the sheel garage purfleet.He had dark blue 110 scanias includeing a six wheel 110 tractor,all day cabs,they had F Creasey on the headboard but later changed the name to newens when they moved down near harris,s in thurrock.Do you remember frank lampard had a few scanias in a yard in thurrock,i think he done containers.

Yep, I remember Frank Lampard having a few motors. I think he was friends with Alan Taylor, the bloke I used to do a bit of ‘cash in hand’ work for out of Mairs yard in Peninsular and Orient Road in Tilbury,
I had one of those dark blue Scania 110 daycabs, pretty sure it was DVK 817K. It used to blow its head gasket every few weeks.
That was a nice yard he had behind Harris’. It had tarmac lines which separated the concrete. When you was backing in, he used to come out and walk alongside you saying ‘get yer wheels on the line son’.
When he did that one day, he finished off by saying ‘clear yer cab out son, yer finished today’. The whole lot had folded.
I’ve just remembered his transport manager - Bill Rogers. He went to Drapers. Anyone else remember him?

SUPERCUBE:
boyzee, after creasey moved out of that shell garage it was a commercial vehicle workshop run by a ex milehams fitter, mo rogers, he was there for a few years, do you remember him?. i last saw him working for patsy ahearn in romford. :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

Hi supercube i remember when Pat left the shell garage but i did,nt ever go there after that.I did,nt know mo rogers.I remember Kenny Hogger worked on newens before he went owner driver.

kenny hogger. i worked with him on general express late 60s. we were uk drivers,
there were only a select few doing europe, patsy brennan, dave carey [onions] and kenny long.

SUPERCUBE:
kenny hogger. i worked with him on general express late 60s. we were uk drivers,
there were only a select few doing europe, patsy brennan, dave carey [onions] and kenny long.

I remember Kenny Long. Good pal who unfortunately was killed in Belgium jumping out of his cab, or so i remember. Patsy Brennan was his running mate to Italy. I was on with Eurohaul in those daya and saw them most weeks. Patsy settled in Bellegarde with Jeannette who owned a bar there and spoke perfect English.

Ah!! What memories I have of those days.

I also remember good old Onions. Bloody hell, he was a tough old boy. Actually I though that he was one of the infamous Onions family. I nly knew him as Onions, didn’t realise he was a Cary

CV Bob i thought you had a Fiesta. Where the Tunnel comes out was my old yard

toothpick johnny:

hi al, the tunnel garage was next to the rosina cafe, opp the paper sheds on the rifle range, mo used that for a few yrs then moved to the yard directly outside milehams gate. i think he was called by then MER commercials

What’s my fiesta doing mixed up in this :question: :question: :question:

SUPERCUBE:

toothpick johnny:

hi al, the tunnel garage was next to the rosina cafe, opp the paper sheds on the rifle range, mo used that for a few yrs then moved to the yard directly outside milehams gate. i think he was called by then MER commercials

What’s my fiesta doing mixed up in this :question: :question: :question:

hiya super,
i must know you i was on cgm for geo davies at that time, then with brainy’s before they packed up, with the bear, joe bunce, spider and the rest.i remember mer’s and mo he did all repairs and servicing for alan roach trp who i started for in 1976 my first job.

hi pollystag, yes, our paths must have crossed, i was working for fred young on the cgm along with tony chaplin and bill woods. i knew most of brains drivers so chances are we shared a night out in the roll-inn at widnes :slight_smile:

Hi Supercube

If you come from Sudbury, have you any news of an old Sudbury pal of mine called Johnny Edwards. Was on SCA with him and then Rooksdale (under the Canning Town flyover) back in the early seventies. He must be in his late seventies now. Wonder if he’s still with us

hi rexyu, i am in suffolk at the moment, but i am from e. london originally, i am just a new boy here and dont know anybody outside of the village i live in.
your mention of rooksdale bought back some names, jack street, john holland, these are faces we saw every week at one time, i have seen jack since working for frigoscania, but not for a few yrs, i wonder if they are still with us?

The only two Rooksdalers I can remember are Jack Street and a great bloke called Arthur Grace. Arthur would often take his sweet little 10 year old daughter with him to Italy on the school holidays. Great wildfowler was our Arthur. A passion that I shared with him until only recently

SUPERCUBE:
hi pollystag, yes, our paths must have crossed, i was working for fred young on the cgm along with tony chaplin and bill woods. i knew most of brains drivers so chances are we shared a night out in the roll-inn at widnes :slight_smile:

i know chappo very well im not sure billy woods is still with us tho.im steve poulton whats yours.

boyzee:

hiya boyzee,i worked for terry creasey for a short time in1977 i had an old scania vabis 76 with two gearsticks working for jess b woodcocks doing ACE containers.i had a mate on there jonny oldfield.
cheers steve.

hi steve, my names bob heath, and no, bill woods is no longer with us, he died a few yrs back now, i dont know if you knew his dad, worked on martintrux for a lot of yrs, jock woods, his claim to fame was getting ■■■■■■ on z/b boat , hitting a caravan getting off on the linkspan and getting breathalised on the boat. positive of course. that was when i was working for jimmy lazarus in collier row, and jock ended up as our security man. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

pollystag:

boyzee:

hiya boyzee,i worked for terry creasey for a short time in1977 i had an old scania vabis 76 with two gearsticks working for jess b woodcocks doing ACE containers.i had a mate on there jonny oldfield.
cheers steve.

The vabis was painted plain blue,i used it one night to go to felixstowe with a heavy brit european trailer,i was flat out along the a12 near chelmsford when the gearbox fell to pieces.I drop the trailer in a layby and managed to get the unit back to wapping (yard) in one gear.I took a F88 back to get the trailer only to find the police for some reason wound the landing legs down.It took me ages to wind the bloody thing up enough to get under it an just as i coupled up the old bill arrived telling me they let the legs down because they thought i had left the trailer without lights in a dangerous place!The vabis was never repaired an was sold as in exchange for another 110.Terry,s brother robert who,s yard was in orbital road silvertown had a few vabis,s in air force blue.I remember us doing woodcock ACE containers,loading out of butlers wharehouse greenford loading lukazade.

Happy new year mart remember those 2 of Roberts used to be up round by goodmayes station think 1 was ex Dowells sold my last 111 with that white wheel on and now there on here at that spatz site for £1100 pound another one of my better deals

hi boyzey,im loosing it it was robert i worked for the ones with the white roofs
steve.