NVQ2

Mike_:
The most ridiculous question was along the lines of:

Q. It costs £1 to park for a day. Which coin should you use in the parking meter?

Followed by 4 pictures of coins, one of which was a £1 coin.

I mean really, how stupid do they think people are?

Presented with such patronising guff as this, personally I would have torn the paper up and lobbed it in the nearest bin.

Mike_:

Q. It costs £1 to park for a day. Which coin should you use in the parking meter?

i wouldnt use any coins! at £1 a day it will never empty so i wont get a parking space!!!

Presented with such patronising guff as this, personally I would have torn the paper up and lobbed it in the nearest bin.

Tried that. They just gave me another one. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

To achieve a FULL Level 2 NVQ candidates must
achieve 7 mandatory units. There are two additional
units available to candidates who have the
opportunity to demonstrate competence in these
areas.

Mandatory Units

4 Monitoring the loading of the vehicle by others
6 Completing pre-driving preparations
7 Maintaining the safety and the security of the
load, self and property
8 Maintaining awareness of driving conditions
9 Operating the vehicle systems
10 Driving the vehicle on public roads
11 Driving the vehicle in restricted spaces

Additional Units

5 Unloading the vehicle
12 Coupling and uncoupling the vehicle

To achieve a FULL Level 3 NVQ candidates must
achieve 10 units comprising of eight mandatory
units and two optional units.

Mandatory Units

4 Monitoring the loading of the vehicle by others
5 Unloading the vehicle
6 Completing pre-driving preparations
7 Maintaining the safety and the security of the
load, self and property
8 Maintaining awareness of driving conditions
9 Operating the vehicle systems
11 Driving the vehicle in restricted spaces
13 Driving the vehicle safely and efficiently on
public roads

Optional Units

1 Obtaining information on the delivery and
collection of loads
2 Planning the route and timings for the delivery
and collection of loads
3 Loading the vehicle
12 Coupling and uncoupling the vehicle

We do the NVQ at our place,most of the drivers are level 2 and now a fair few including myself are level 3,to get level 3 at our place we had to do our counter balance forklift test and then our moffit mounty test as we carry them out to the farms.Most of the drivers have only do it as we get paid a higher hourly rate for each NVQ we have (the difference between non-NVQ and NVQ level 3 was £1.60 per hour!!) so on a 60 hour week the difference is £96 for pretty much the same job :open_mouth:

Lucy:
I think it’s only fully funded if you fail the numaracy and literacy tests, the idea being to make sure everyone is as GCSE level (which is also level 2) in these. Since I passed, the “sign up team” were at a bit of a loss…Until they found out they could tick the “Disabled” box, at which point suddenly everything in the world was alright again. :unamused:

When they were filling the forms out the nvq chap asked how many gcse passes i had and i said eight he put four in the box for grade a-c and four for c and below. I told him they were all above c and he said it didnt matter. Talking to my mum today she said she thinks the government will fund nvq courses for people with four or less gcse passes but she is going to check this out.
By the sounds of it they are telling you that you can do the job you have been doing for years anyway.

Hombre:
NVQ = No Viable Qualification.

I did an NVQ Level 2 some years ago (in a telecoms discipline) and to be honest it was a complete and utter waste of time.

The basics involved having to write down what amounted to a sequence of events covering a given task - boring, pointless and a waste of good paper and printer ink.

got to agree with this,i did mine 2 yrs ago,what a waste of time,the first thing they told us was the course was unfalliable(so what was the point then)mind you we got supplied with some nice sandwiches etc,and it got me off nights for a few shifts :smiley: when i did the supervised drive all the instructor said was take me on a route for some nice totty spotting opportunities.he was not bothered at all about my driving.

Hombre:
CVs are a load of cobblers - people can and do write down all sorts of rubbish.

Maybe so but if it’s on the cv then an employer has the opportunity to see what you say you can do. Proving it or disproving if necessary. If disproved ie by lies on cv the it proves you are dishonest - not good.

Hombre:
No amount of bits of paper can prove whether or not you can do this job - there are simply far too many variables in vehicles, trailers, loads etc… The only valid proofs come in a driver assesment and or reference from a previous employer.

If it’s on the cv then it’s so much easier when asking for references etc as it’s all in front of them. Driver assessments would take hours or even days for those higher qualified or experienced.

Hombre:
incidentally, what sort of “evidence” do you actually gather? Proof that you attended a course which you can niether pass or fail?

No course as I think you mean but there are minimal numeracy and literacy parts to it but mainly it’s done over time with copies of timesheets, delivery notes, defect notes, procedures carried out etc. Video evidence of you actually doing the work is good as well.

As far as I’m aware it DOES go towards the driver cpc (I know Rog disagrees) I’m not sure what part/section but some can be used. It also shows future employers that you at least take an interest in the job.

As the original post states that the company are putting drivers through it I can’t see the problem.

You can hang the certificate on your wall for all to see :laughing: :laughing:

Rick B:
As far as I’m aware it DOES go towards the driver cpc (I know Rog disagrees) I’m not sure what part/section but some can be used.

I don’t disagree - I just got the info from the JAUPT/Skills For Logistics site where they state that a TRIAL is currently under way in the West Midlands on this issue - nothing is decided either way YET.

drivercpc-periodictraining.org/faqs/

How can N/SVQs support the Initial Driver CPC?
We are currently working with DSA, DfES and the LSC to explore ways in which the N/SVQs can support the Driver’s CPC. By aligning the content of N/SVQs with the requirements of the Driver’s CPC, it makes it possible for there to be some overlap in training e.g. achievement of the Initial CPC could provide evidence towards the NVQ.

skillsforlogistics.org/en/in … id3=291029

20/02/2009 - Driver CPC Skills Development for West Midlands - Press Release
Content Skills for Logistics (SfL), the Sector Skills Council for the freight logistics industries, in partnership with the West Midlands Learning and Skills Council (LSC), is helping employers to prepare for the Driver CPC whilst developing the skills of the workforce. The two organisations have worked together, with a group of industry training providers in the West Midlands, to develop units that form the underpinning knowledge required for the Driving Goods Vehicle National Vocational Qualification (DGV NVQ). SfL, together with input from the LSC, has developed these units to meet the requirements of Approved Driver CPC Periodic Training. This will enable West Midlands logistics employers to access funding towards Driver CPC.

Press release download PDF

I have done up to level 3 in Papermaking, also done the assesor bit…

Its abasic way of getting what you know about the job out of your head and onto a file, its dead easy to do, and its a total waste of time.

Though for the assesors its an easy life, ask a few questions, take a few photos, drink coffee, have some grub and a chat…

Yes its something to go a CV, but to most 2 bob outfits they wont have a clue what it means anyway…

Mike_:

Hombre:

Agreed.

I passed my level 3 CPC in 2003 and I thought that was difficult. I definitely had to study, but there wasn’t any condescending claptrap such as the question above. It was around 40 multiple-choice questions and then a couple of cased studies whereby you were faced with scenarios as a transport manager.

If the government are churning out useless, irrelevant qualifications and making them so easy to pass or achieve a “grade” then the whole system is at fault. It is simply box-ticking in order to show the rest of the world that the UK has a highly-skilled workforce.

The French have the Baccalaureate, in the UK we have AS Levels (half an A Level).

No wonder the froggies help the asylum-seekers on their way to Britain. :neutral_face:

Some drivers are kicking up quite a fuss about doing it. But i think it is the fear of written work and exams etc. But from what i can gather there is very little writing and there is no exam.
I have decided to look at it as practice for the driver cpc but think it is a waste of time as is the cpc. What is the point doing a course you cant fail.Eduaction should be about stretching your self not what you already know.

Please remember that the NVQ & the CPC are different in their purpose -

The DGV NVQ is an assessment of what you can already do.

The Driver CPC is training to teach you something…supposedly

ROG:
Please remember that the NVQ & the CPC are different in their purpose -

The DGV NVQ is an assessment of what you can already do.

The Driver CPC is training to teach you something…supposedly

From what i gather the cpc is only things any competent experinced driver should already know.

kr79:
From what i gather the cpc is only things any competent experinced driver should already know.

Well that depends if you mean the existing level 3 CPC for Operators, or the Driver CPC. IF it’s the latter then you have a point.

The CPC National however will teach experienced drivers a thing or two, like for instance setting up an operating centre, employment law, paying VAT and a comprehensive working knowledge of tachograph law.

The Driver CPC will tell you to wear a hi-viz at all times and not to ride on pallet trucks. :unamused:

Dazza:

kr79:

Well that depends if you mean the existing level 3 CPC for Operators, or the Driver CPC. IF it’s the latter then you have a point.
I hold a national and international cpc and aggree this is something you have to work for.
The CPC National however will teach experienced drivers a thing or two, like for instance setting up an operating centre, employment law, paying VAT and a comprehensive working knowledge of tachograph law.

The Driver CPC will tell you to wear a hi-viz at all times and not to ride on pallet trucks. :unamused:

kr79, start again and think about what you are trying to say. :open_mouth:

Sorry dazza doing this on my mobile. I hold a national and international cpc and agree this is something you have to work for and something you will learn from. But the driver cpc will be a load of rubish

Sorry kr79, I wasn’t being pedantic, I just hadn’t seen you’d smuggled your comment in between my quotes. :laughing:

I agree with you, I contacted a civil servant waller at the DfT and he confirmed that our CPC isn’t worth jack when it comes to the “Driver CPC”.

Even with a CPC National we can’t avoid taking it, so it’s clearly a case of teaching someone how to ■■■■ eggs. :unamused:

Theres going to be an awful lot of …

Not Very Quick drivers around soon :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: