Music festivals

Terry T:

Betty Swallox:
& they don’t do Mitzi’s like they used to :frowning:

Good job. Imagine popping 20 of them over a weekend then rocking up to work to drive a truck at 4am on a Monday morning :open_mouth: :grimacing:

Think some of them still do how they drive :grimacing: Sunday for me was staying under the quilt till Monday morning on the comedown all them years ago :blush: :confused:

terratology:
Have been into the free party scene since about 91, anyone remember spiral tribe, circus warp, bedlam? Me and a few mates own 19k of void looney bins and turbosound tops, here’s a pic of a Teknival we did in France in may. All our stuffs on the right hand side and again at night when Vandall was playing

In terms of festivals were off to the green gathering for the day tomorrow, then boomtown next weekend, it’s one of my best mates festival so don’t cost nothing :slight_smile: and has a good lineup then off to beautiful days in Devon the following weekend which is a festival put on by the levellers and has some really good headlining acts - Imelda may, the selecta, arrested development, the wonder stuff to name just a few. After that don’t know, see what comes along.

Went to a few illegal raves myself, Trefel quarry up on the heads of the valleys road used to have them regular, & been to a few down near Pembrokeshire.

Sounds like a busy summer for you mate, for the 1st year in a long time i’m not doing any festivals this year, in my 50’s now & slowing down, hoping to do Tomorrowland next year & that will be my lot. Had the most amazing times, met some great people & loved every minute i was off my trumpet.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Terry T:

Betty Swallox:
& they don’t do Mitzi’s like they used to :frowning:

Good job. Imagine popping 20 of them over a weekend then rocking up to work to drive a truck at 4am on a Monday morning :open_mouth: :grimacing:

Think some of them still do how they drive :grimacing: Sunday for me was staying under the quilt till Monday morning on the comedown all them years ago :blush: :confused:

We used to do Godskitchen on Friday. After party at mine till dinner time. Quick shower, pub all afternoon then Sundissential or Gatecrasher on Saturday night followed by Insomniacz till Mid-Day on Sunday then Zulus till 7pm. Then we’d think about going home.

To be honest, how I ever turned up for work on a Monday morning I’ll never know :open_mouth: :astonished:

Betty Swallox:

terratology:
Have been into the free party scene since about 91, anyone remember spiral tribe, circus warp, bedlam? Me and a few mates own 19k of void looney bins and turbosound tops, here’s a pic of a Teknival we did in France in may. All our stuffs on the right hand side and again at night when Vandall was playing.

In terms of festivals were off to the green gathering for the day tomorrow, then boomtown next weekend, it’s one of my best mates festival so don’t cost nothing :slight_smile: and has a good lineup then off to beautiful days in Devon the following weekend which is a festival put on by the levellers and has some really good headlining acts - Imelda may, the selecta, arrested development, the wonder stuff to name just a few. After that don’t know, see what comes along.

Went to a few illegal raves myself, Trefel quarry up on the heads of the valleys road used to have them regular, & been to a few down near Pembrokeshire.

Sounds like a busy summer for you mate, for the 1st year in a long time i’m not doing any festivals this year, in my 50’s now & slowing down, hoping to do Tomorrowland next year & that will be my lot. Had the most amazing times, met some great people & loved every minute i was off my trumpet.

Ha trifle quarry, all us bristol lot used to hit that place up at least once a year on a bank holiday, either that or talybont reservoir before the farmer dumped a load of dung at the top! Treffles a baron place especially if your at the bottom and can be a bit on the windy side! Pembrokeshire, that wouldnt be dale would it on the ex airstrip? We had all our equipment seized there a few years back but as always we got it back! The biggest ball ache was having to drive all the way to Haverfordwest police station from Bristol to get it back in our old library bus!

Like you I’m slowing down too but only on the free party side as have a wife and kid, have only managed to put on 3 parties this year so trying to make up for it by going to (legal)festivals :grimacing:

terratology:

Betty Swallox:

terratology:
Have been into the free party scene since about 91, anyone remember spiral tribe, circus warp, bedlam? Me and a few mates own 19k of void looney bins and turbosound tops, here’s a pic of a Teknival we did in France in may. All our stuffs on the right hand side and again at night when Vandall was playing.

Ha trifle quarry, all us bristol lot used to hit that place up at least once a year on a bank holiday, either that or talybont reservoir before the farmer dumped a load of dung at the top! Treffles a baron place especially if your at the bottom and can be a bit on the windy side! Pembrokeshire, that wouldnt be dale would it on the ex airstrip? We had all our equipment seized there a few years back but as always we got it back! The biggest ball ache was having to drive all the way to Haverfordwest police station from Bristol to get it back in our old library bus!

Like you I’m slowing down too but only on the free party side as have a wife and kid, have only managed to put on 3 parties this year so trying to make up for it by going to (legal)festivals :grimacing:

They stopped us using Trefel a few years ago, put some stupidly large boulders on the access road to stop anything going up there, stupid really cos there’s ■■■■ all up there, no one to complain.

Not sure where we were in Pemb, i was either a passenger or following my mates car, i’m having trouble recalling anything about the place tbh, says a lot about the state i was in. :smiley:

I probably know you…where you from?

terratology:
I probably know you…where you from?

Haha, that would be funny. I’m originally from Cardiff, now living up near Aberdare, i work out of Portbury, tramping Mon-Fri.

Do you know Carl and Barry, the toothdust lot?

terratology:
Do you know Carl and Barry, the toothdust lot?

No mate, can’t say I do, names don’t ring a bell. Tbh the memory isn’t what it used to be. I’ve had people wander up to me at clubs & festivals who swear blind we were great mates & been here there & everywhere together, when they’ve gone on their way I’ve had to ask my missus who they were :frowning:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Betty Swallox:
Do you go to them, which 1 is your favourite, & are there any you’ve not done yet but want to?

I’ve done a few over the years, I was a dance music promoter for 5 years & my summers used to be spent planning which festivals to attend.

My favourite was Nature One in Germany, a 4 day festival similar to Glastonbury, but it’s DJ’s rather than bands. The 1 festival I’d love to do but haven’t is Tomorrowland in Belgium, tickets sell out in under an hour, I’ve tried & failed in the past, thinking of giving it a go again next year.

I’m into my trance and hard dance from the late 90s to early 00s so used to go to Creamfields and Godskitchen and Gatecrasher Summer Sound System from 98 upto 05 and went to the Love Parade in Leeds in 2002. Was great times and great music which I will never forget. I feel the new dance music scene is [zb] with the EDM,Bassline etc not a patch on the Trance and Hard Dance from times gone by.
I would love to go to Glastonbury and V Festival at Leeds sometime in the future. I’ve seen the likes of Kings Of Leon, Kasabian, The Enemy, Oasis, Beady Eye, Noel Gallagher, Shed Seven, Bad Manners, The Stone Roses and The Rolling Stones live(saw the stones other week down Hyde Park)
Going to see Jake Bugg in November and one band I want to see is Ocean Colour Scene. One band I wish I could have seen live would be Dire Straits.

Totally agree with you there I too was the same loved dance and trance in the early 00s. I remember kicking out Insomnia in my car at 17 and sandstorm and the likes. Back in them days there was so many great tunes out at once. Now all you get is crap most of the time it sends me to sleep. You get the odd good tune out but its nothing at all on the level of the old Skool days. The clubs was crowded everyone going mad to the trance. We used to go to raves i remember falling asleep in a field one time woke up at 6am in long grass and people were still off there faces dancing :laughing: They Used to be high on something usually pills or coke :laughing: I just don’t see it today like it was God I sound old and I’m only 29

Nothing like the old days at the age of 29?! Just goes to prove my point that everyone always thinks the past was better than it actually was!

Anyhow for me its Glastonbury. Never wanted to go, it looked like a nighmare but then some friends said ‘why don’t you come with us’ so I thought why not, at least I can say I tried it. I was hooked from the moment I got on site. There’s something about Glastonbury that its hard to define in words. For 5 days a year it is the greatest place on earth.

Global Gathering is a pret brutal festival friend did say he had tickets to Tomorrowland for me but couldn’t go due to work and short notices bolox :unamused: :unamused:

Legend_Scania:
Global Gathering is a pret brutal festival friend did say he had tickets to Tomorrowland for me but couldn’t go due to work and short notices bolox :unamused: :unamused:

Really tough to get hold of Tomorrowland tickets, I hope you get the chance to go again, I’m going to try again next year, definitely want to do that before I hang up my dancing daps.

I’ve always enjoyed Global, been 8 times but they’re not a patch on the European festivals, always seem better organised abroad, & no over the top police presence which most Uk events attract. Unfortunately the police view Uk festivals as an opportunity to hit their ‘targets’.

switchlogic:
Nothing like the old days at the age of 29?! Just goes to prove my point that everyone always thinks the past was better than it actually was!

The past was good it might only be 12 years ago to you but a lot has changed in 12 years you can’t deny it

Betty Swallox:

Legend_Scania:

Really tough to get hold of Tomorrowland tickets, I hope you get the chance to go again, I’m going to try again next year, definitely want to do that before I hang up my dancing daps.

I’ve always enjoyed Global, been 8 times but they’re not a patch on the European festivals, always seem better organised abroad, & no over the top police presence which most Uk events attract. Unfortunately the police view Uk festivals as an opportunity to hit their ‘targets’.

Creamfields is a good one another brutal one

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Colingl:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
and one band I want to see is Ocean Colour Scene.

They are playing Glasgow, Aberdeen and Edinburgh in December.

They playing near the gods county of Yorkshire any time mate?

Nothing listed on the OCS website. :frowning: Their too busy playing God’s country! :wink: :laughing:

Legend_Scania:

Betty Swallox:

Legend_Scania:

Creamfields is a good one another brutal one

I only did 1 Creamfields & had a great time but due to the amount of gangs wandering around there were police patrolling inside the festival grounds.

Creamfields have always had great line-ups, better than Global imo, but there’s always a sense that at any minute it could kick off big time, & for that reason you can never enjoy the festival fully.

Yeah I know what you are saying. I don’t know what it’s like since it moved to Cheshire but when it was at Liverpool you could see the gangs of scallies roaming around looking for aggro or someone to pickpocket. We had no trouble because there was s few of us and weren’t frightend to dish it out if the need arises.

keebs26uk:

switchlogic:

The past was good it might only be 12 years ago to you but a lot has changed in 12 years you can’t deny it

Just because the past was good doesn’t mean the present cant be. Yes lots has changed in 12 years, but I think for the better. I thought lots of the music in the late 90s early 00s was shockingly awful. I t hink we are currently living through a golden age for new music, you just have to go out and find it yourself, just turning the radio on isn’t enough anymore. But then I’ve never been one for rose tinted specs.