moffat mounty

Suedehead:

shakysteve:

Suedehead:

shakysteve:

Suedehead:
Can they legally be used on a public road ?
When they are atatchted to a vehicle, they have that vehicles reg plate on.
So when its working , does it have to be taxed separatley ? . . i know what i mean :confused:

was that you i saw on the wag and drag yesterday ■■? Steve.

Could have been,didnt have a Moffet dangling off the back though.
Not much point with a crane :slight_smile:

lechlade to highworth road about 12.45/1.00 ?

No it wasnt me.
I wouldnt dare break the length limit on Halfpenny bridge. :neutral_face:

to be fair to the driver it was most likely to have been between filkins and lechlade ,thats got him out of the s**t , Steve.

martinviking:
Job knackered me out in the end, I lasted 6 months then I bid him Good Riddance ! (■■■■ Farmer !)

he grew ■■■■■?

happysack:

martinviking:
Job knackered me out in the end, I lasted 6 months then I bid him Good Riddance ! (■■■■ Farmer !)

he grew ■■■■■?

Yep ! One BIG ■■■■ !

shakysteve:

Suedehead:

shakysteve:

Suedehead:

shakysteve:

Suedehead:
Can they legally be used on a public road ?
When they are atatchted to a vehicle, they have that vehicles reg plate on.
So when its working , does it have to be taxed separatley ? . . i know what i mean :confused:

was that you i saw on the wag and drag yesterday ■■? Steve.

Could have been,didnt have a Moffet dangling off the back though.
Not much point with a crane :slight_smile:

lechlade to highworth road about 12.45/1.00 ?

No it wasnt me.
I wouldnt dare break the length limit on Halfpenny bridge. :neutral_face:

to be fair to the driver it was most likely to have been between filkins and lechlade ,thats got him out of the s**t , Steve.

:wink: :laughing:

dieselhead.ie:
Good bit of kit but I’d prefer the manitou version, it’s telescopic so you can unload from one side

Moffett do them as well, the M10. Like this one of mine.

These don’t bounce as much empty as my old FM9 6-legger did but that’s more likely because I’ve got air on the back instead of cart springs. You’ll only go over a humpback bridge too fast once! :smiley:

Invaluable in my job; most farms do have a front-loader of some description but we’re not allowed to use them cos of insurance. That’s not a bad thing as all the controls are different and some tend to be in a rather dubious state of repair anyway so it’s better to use your own.

As for the overhang; the biggest problem with the Moffett is you can’t see them in the mirrors so a camera’s useful. You soon get used to the extra swing. One thing that can be tricky; being a tricycle the rear wheel sits in the middle of a farm track and if it’s deeply rutted you have to be very careful not to go “in-off” as they say in snooker. These have a form of diff lock which makes it easier; the only other thing to beware of is you can’t see anything on the offside because the mast’s in the way. There is a mirror but it’s not a lot of use.

Sidevalve:

dieselhead.ie:
Good bit of kit but I’d prefer the manitou version, it’s telescopic so you can unload from one side

Moffett do them as well, the M10. Like this one of mine.

These don’t bounce as much empty as my old FM9 6-legger did but that’s more likely because I’ve got air on the back instead of cart springs. You’ll only go over a humpback bridge too fast once! :smiley:

Invaluable in my job; most farms do have a front-loader of some description but we’re not allowed to use them cos of insurance. That’s not a bad thing as all the controls are different and some tend to be in a rather dubious state of repair anyway so it’s better to use your own.

As for the overhang; the biggest problem with the Moffett is you can’t see them in the mirrors so a camera’s useful. You soon get used to the extra swing. One thing that can be tricky; being a tricycle the rear wheel sits in the middle of a farm track and if it’s deeply rutted you have to be very careful not to go “in-off” as they say in snooker. These have a form of diff lock which makes it easier; the only other thing to beware of is you can’t see anything on the offside because the mast’s in the way. There is a mirror but it’s not a lot of use.

not sure what “in-off” means lol as I don’t follow snooker, but I guess your referring to the ejector seat type scenario when you fail to see a lump or pot hole going down the centre of the fork lift which then sends you flying up into the metal roof - not good when your going flat out, infact, your soon not moving for a minute or so while you gather yourself back together and rub your head whilst swearing lol :open_mouth:

Love the way they have the ability to crab but when your empty with a 44ft trailer they do tend to lift your drive wheels a little I personally had a jackknife helped by this scenario

sixaxles:
not sure what “in-off” means lol as I don’t follow snooker, but I guess your referring to the ejector seat type scenario when you fail to see a lump or pot hole going down the centre of the fork lift which then sends you flying up into the metal roof - not good when your going flat out, infact, your soon not moving for a minute or so while you gather yourself back together and rub your head whilst swearing lol :open_mouth:

Not exactly, though you are right that does hurt! Mine being the more modern type you have to wear the seat belt anyway else it won’t move. ■■■■ nuisance sometimes but given that these things can and do tip over it’s better to wear them than not.

What I was meaning regarding “in-off” is when your rear (i.e.steering) wheel drops off the raised centre bit of the track and spits you into a 90 degree turn, or worse. If you’re unlucky the bags fly off the pallet and under the wheels… ask me how I know. :slight_smile:

Sidevalve:

sixaxles:

Not exactly, though you are right that does hurt! Mine being the more modern type you have to wear the seat belt anyway else it won’t move. ■■■■ nuisance sometimes but given that these things can and do tip over it’s better to wear them than not.

What I was meaning regarding “in-off” is when your rear (i.e.steering) wheel drops off the raised centre bit of the track and spits you into a 90 degree turn, or worse. If you’re unlucky the bags fly off the pallet and under the wheels… ask me how I know. :slight_smile:

How do you know ? (giggle !)

Good bits of kit no waiting around at delivery points, but get a hard time in the winter, so need to be looked after well. Never noticed any handling problems when running empty. just have to remember overhang in tight yards

098Joe:
Good bits of kit no waiting around at delivery points, but get a hard time in the winter, so need to be looked after well. Never noticed any handling problems when running empty. just have to remember overhang in tight yards

if you’ve got a trailer that’s correct for the job ie carrying a moffet you may well not notice any handling problems, usually a self tracking rear axle and front lift is the way forward along with extra weight in the head board - however all this comes at the expense of payload so those who don’t have to drive them don’t always think safety is a priority lol … if you have a standard 45ft trailer that’s just a had a moffet kit put on and no other mods, expect trouble if you don’t drive very carefully :open_mouth:

Only just seen this thread, I had a moffet M10 on the back of my 6 wheeled stralis. Great bit of kit.

Seems it’s not only me who used them for other ‘tasks’ not involving loading/unloading :laughing:

I managed to get close enough to home last summer to stick the lorry on the local tesco car park over night. Little did I know the barrier comes down at 11pm to keep the local boy racers out, which was no good for me when I came to leave at 4am :laughing: thanked my lucky stars I had a moffett to lift the barrier so I could drive out :laughing:

Got one on the back of a 6 axle wagon and drag. No traction problems when empty and travels well as long as you don’t lift the 3rd axle on the wagon. deliver to farms and building sites, no waiting around to be tipped. had no problems with the Moffett, but it’s being changed next week for a Manitou, so I’ll see if that’s any different.