MAN tgx

MAN tipper isn’t too bad actually, drove an 8 leggers tipper once for a day on a 61 plate, I actually quite liked it :sunglasses:

When i start in a couple weeks i will be driving an man tgx and after reading this thread not sure what to expect !

halfers:
When i start in a couple weeks i will be driving an man tgx and after reading this thread not sure what to expect !

Don’t worry , don’t listen to the doom mongers , the only thing wrong with them is they don’t have a Scania / Volvo badge on the front of them .

rgt1973:
Wet roads seem to be a problem! Never had a truck with so little traction! Not looking forward to snow! MPG is shocking. Yes , we run pto , but not getting above 7mpg!

Mine’s done 155,000km & the rear tyres are starting to loose all the little treads (the main treads have got a few more miles left in them) Michelin’s from new, so she’s spinning out on wet roads, I tend to lift the axle when pulling away, not too much right foot.

I usually get over 9 mpg with the odd 7+mpg when maxed out, I’ve had a few 11+mpg days as well, driving like a ■■■■■ with very little weight on & we don’t run PTO.

Yesterday I did 535km & used 173 ltrs, 3.092 km/p/ltr or 332 miles, 38 gallons 8.73 mpg,
Went to South Wales carrying 4 tons & back with about 10 tons, but I had my Friday Boot on (off for the weekend now) & used the kick down a few times & kept her lit most of the way, using the A40-Heads of the Valleys going & the M4-A34 coming back. (Normally I would have got around 10 mpg)

halfers:

I find them alright, they just need a bit of TLC, don’t try to race anybody & let the gear box do it’s stuff, it won’t change gear as quick as Lewis Hamilton but it will get there eventually, we’ve got a few 11 plates that have done over 400,000 km & they seem to drive just as good as my 13 plate.

shugg:

halfers:

Don’t worry , don’t listen to the doom mongers , the only thing wrong with them is they don’t have a Scania / Volvo badge on the front of them .

Or the Price Tag. Lol.

someone correct me if ime wrong but is there not a switch on the dash for the fridge I seem to rember having the same problem a few year’s ago when cab hopping I think its similar to the aircon switch jus a thought :laughing:

Gearbox is awful when moving of from a standstill, roundabouts can be stressfull. They move a bit quicker if you preload the transmission by replicating a hill start, although this probably will shorten the life of some components. It is best suited to trunking up and down motorways.

The 63 plate DAF CFs that I normally drive are better in a lot of ways including the gearbox (barely) but the 62 plate TGXs get better mpgs. A Warrington run is around 220 - 230 litres in a DAF but I had a TGX last night and it was about 203 doing exactly the same route. The small adblu tank is a pain though. The stuff isn’t readily available at the pumps so having to fill it every day is not very practice for us as drivers and the longer distance guys have my sympathy. You can only carry so many adblu cans in the side in and your stuff is meant to be in the there

There are a lot of annoying issues with them. Bring back the TGA!

I only had to fill my ad blue once a week when i was tramping, i love the man trucks. I prefair them to scania.

sweeper1gg:
I only had to fill my ad blue once a week when i was tramping, i love the man trucks. I prefair them to scania.

anything’s better than a skoda :smiling_imp:

sweeper1gg:

second that, I havnot driven many modern trucks lately, but I think the big dafs are slightly better gearboxes and the cabs have better suspension, but you can’t beat the Man for comfort.

Worst decision they ever made,
Making auto standard the man gear box with comfort shift button is like dipping your lad in sugared yoghurt all day.

We had blowing gear on tgxs, just prey the blow switch dont suddenly light up when driving, it aint the blower trying to switch on, its just letting you know that there is crap and corrosion on the contacts, but the biggest give away is you loose all your gears cause the computer thinks the blowers engaged.

I drive a 63 plate tgx 480 the fridge don’t work on this nor does the blue tooth which is a pain been looking to see how the radio comes out but cant find anything anyone shed some light on this ■■?

I drove a MAN for ages and found it great. Isn’t it the case that some of them have what looks like a fridge but isn’t?

You really have to learn how to work those auto boxes. It’s not like a car where you shove it in ‘D’ and go - there is a technique to learn that will give you smooth take-off and perfect downchanges. I think it remembers which gear you set off in and uses that until you tell it different or switch off. Also you should make extensive use of the exhaust brake.

beanyboy1982:
I drive a 63 plate tgx 480 the fridge don’t work on this nor does the blue tooth which is a pain been looking to see how the radio comes out but cant find anything anyone shed some light on this ■■?

is it the MAN radio? Ours have all had Clarion head units fitted. I just downloaded the instruction book off the internet.

Santa:
I drove a MAN for ages and found it great. Isn’t it the case that some of them have what looks like a fridge but isn’t?

You really have to learn how to work those auto boxes. It’s not like a car where you shove it in ‘D’ and go - there is a technique to learn that will give you smooth take-off and perfect downchanges. I think it remembers which gear you set off in and uses that until you tell it different or switch off. Also you should make extensive use of the exhaust brake.

Please share this technique! A month in and I still spill my coffee when I set off!

rgt1973:

Santa:

Please share this technique! A month in and I still spill my coffee when I set off!

Try gently applying the throttle only about half way down and as drive starts don’t be tempted to give it full throttle in the starting gear, and release the parking brake from its secondary position gently as the drive starts to engage.

Don’t use hill hold, a crap fitment that has no place in a lorry, it belongs in little hatchbacks driven by incompetent half wits who can’t perform a hill start.

Takes a few weeks to use this stupid chocolate teapot gearbox properly, it will never be much use but you can make it less awful with a bit of care and practice.

Try using manual mode when loaded, it still takes many frustrating seconds to get the thing moving but does improve progress (smoother and faster) once under way, plus you stop the engine revving it cobblers off at junctions cos you’ll be in the right gear unlike the box if left to its own incompetence, as Santa says make use of the really quite good exhaust brake which is better again driven in manual.