M1 TRUCK CRASH J18 to J19

i do a lot of heavy haulage when you are 100 ton and 14ft wide doing 45mph in first lane and supermarket drivers overtake and nearly take my mirror with them. they also take all my vision off hard shoulder which is even more dangerous. as every time something on hard shoulder i have to move into 2nd lane. some drivers very selfish i think. think hgv drivers very poor in uk.

not that it makes any difference

Do we know if it was a driver or the mechanic that lost their life?

My thoughts go out to the families involved

the rumour says that it was the fitter who was killed…but the police website says it was the 45 yr old driver of the broken down vehicle…they both had to be released from under the broken down truck…there are still 2 in hospital.

not that it makes any difference

Do we know if it was a driver or the mechanic that lost their life?

My thoughts go out to the families involved

the rumour says that it was the fitter who was killed…but the police website says it was the 45 yr old driver of the broken down vehicle…they both had to be released from under the broken down truck…there are still 2 in hospital.
my condolences to all involved…it’s very shocking to see an incident like this.

I was told a driver had died and the fitter was expected to die.Not sure if thats the case or not.
I must say,that whilst on the h/s,the majority of trucks will either straddle lanes 1/2, or at least move to the white line,when passing us,for which we are all grateful.
The minority who dont attempt to move,are the selfish few,who we have discussed on this site in the past and the ones who give the good drivers a bad name.As in most industries,the bad are far outweighed the good ones.
Yes Rog,we are all constantly aware of the danger but happily the majority of drivers are good ones.

extrucker:
I was told a driver had died and the fitter was expected to die.Not sure if thats the case or not.

itvlocal.com/central/news/ then click Latest News Bulletins then click East and choose wednesdays 16/07/08 bulletin - the info is 12 minutes into the bulletin

The bulletin is only there until tuesday 22/07/08

Thanks ROG

Puts it in perspective a little when you see the aerial picture,
:frowning:

I saw a nasty little accident on the M40 today (near Banbury IIRC) on the southbound carraigeway. An AA van patrol van attending a breakdown had been struck by a Saab 9-5 and knocked off the hard shoulder and down the embankment. Looks like the Saab had spun into the van as the passenger side was well caved in. The HATOs were on the scene and nobody looked badly hurt. I assume the AA patrol and the motorist were well clear when the Saab hit… The hard shoulder is no place to be!

I’d be interested to know if there are now more hard shoulder crashes than there were 20 years ago?
Obviously a big increase in traffic in that time, but also a decrease in the number of vehicles breaking down on the HS as vehicles (and tyres) have become more reliable.

Clarky:
Been called a few names for doing so, but I rather that than be involved in an incident like this

Yeah, just cause another one A :question: :unamused:

Wheel Nut:

by looking at the photo a foreigner hit the one on the hard shoulder.

there is one on the hard shoulder in front of all that chaos with no n/s of the cab or body…have alook at the aerial shot and it becomes much clearer.the green trailer was stationary on the hard shoulder.it was hit once before being hit by the truck in the picture.
i know that the foreign driver was not arrested,but was in hospital with some serious injuries.another driver was arrested… :cry:

I got a shock to see the service van is owned by K&M that do our running repairs and trailer services. I hope to god it wasnt one of the lads from Hilton,

No it was’nt wheel nut, 100% sure on that.