Low bridge question.

There is a curtainsider on our general fleet marked 13ft12ins !!!

I have been told that the height of the bridge is measured from the kerb and not the road surface, and subsequent observations seem to bear this out. This would add two or three inches to the available clearance where there is also a pavement passing beneath the bridge.

bowserman:

PMSL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

How to pass under a bridge you suspect to be too low:

1. Engage low gear
  2. Full revs (foot on floor)
  3. Release handbrake
  4. Foot off clutch
  5. Aim towards bridge entrance
  6. Keep head below steering wheel level
  7. …wait for it!
  8. Can you see the sky?
  9. If the answer to step 8 was ‘Yes’, there wasn’t enough clearance but don’t worry, go to step 10.
  10. If the answer to step 8 was ‘No’ , then you made it, proceed to step 11
  11. Is there at least 50% of the trailer behind you?
  12. If yes to step 11, congratulations! you passed the Polish driving test! Well done!
  1. If no to step 11, congratulations! you get a Polish driving licence anyway!

triangular signs advice if it says 4 metres it means that it is
round signs prohibit if it says 4 metres it means nothing over 4m can pass it dosnt depend on bridge height

R.D:
i always say the height marked on the bridge is the height allowed to go under it.i frequently go under a 14ft bridge with a 14ft trailer and a 146 bridge with a 146 trailer.i always drive right up to the bridge,jump out,have a quick look and then proceed slowly,ive never had any problems :smiley: i know that ive been under em before,no harm in double checking tho!

I have taken a 4 metre tall truck under a bridge marked at 3.1 metres…

Fastrantiger:
How to pass under a bridge you suspect to be too low:

1. Engage low gear
  2. Full revs (foot on floor)
  3. Release handbrake
  4. Foot off clutch
  5. Aim towards bridge entrance
  6. Keep head below steering wheel level
  7. …wait for it!
  8. Can you see the sky?
  9. If the answer to step 8 was ‘Yes’, there wasn’t enough clearance but don’t worry, go to step 10.
  10. If the answer to step 8 was ‘No’ , then you made it, proceed to step 11
  11. Is there at least 50% of the trailer behind you?
  12. If yes to step 11, congratulations! you passed the Polish driving test! Well done!
  1. If no to step 11, congratulations! you get a Polish driving licence anyway!

And for post like this I created this other topic.

I wasn’t asking how to get under the bridge.

I asked HOW BRIDGES ARE MARKED IN UK, as in other countries they have some margin, and that what I was asked for.

You even don’t understanded my question but anyway took the chance to attack me.

orys:
I asked HOW BRIDGES ARE MARKED IN UK, as in other countries they have some margin, and that what I was asked for.

You even don’t understanded my question but anyway took the chance to attack me.

Hi Orys,

The most important height to look out for is 13’ 3"- this is the height of a 4m TIR trailer.

Apologies if you feel you were “attacked”, but I have been attacked in Poznan by two Polish teenagers with baseball bats simply for the crime of “being English” so I can assure you that the traffic isn’t “one-way”.

bowserman:

Thats nearly 14 feet isnt it :question: :question: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I keep a 12" inch measuring stick in my pants :laughing:
(at least thats what i keep tellin her,
which brings on bouts of laughter :blush: )

Harry Monk:

orys:

Apologies if you feel you were “attacked”, but I have been attacked in Poznan by two Polish teenagers with baseball bats simply for the crime of “being English” so I can assure you that the traffic isn’t “one-way”.

Sorry to hear that. I never tried to tell, that all Poles are perfect. We are nation like every other and there are some morons among Poles as well as among Brits :frowning:

I pull a high fridge around. Its marked up on back 16’5…really confused me as does’nt look that high so decided to sit it next to a 15’6 tautliner in yard and its exactly the same height. As for dropping air when get to some bridge no good as soon as start moving the trailer is self leveling and will just go up again lol lad at work found this out when he dropped all air to park under unused petrol station canopy for night out. Woke up starts engine and goes to drive out only to see he was ripping the canopy along with trailer lol