Lorry Driver Killed By Chain

I was thinking of the lifting chains for a skip. When they hang down the side unsecured on an unloaded vehicle, they would “swing” out on a bend in the road and they have some handy sized hooks on the end. Enough to give a hell of a wallop.
just a thought.
Whatever, it was very careless.

the big un:
Just to clear up a few points
Mick the driver who was killed was a childhood friend of mine we grew up together in the same village.Was driving the Fred Sherwood truck
The offending chain was on the Select Plant truck
Mick was a good friend and great family man and is still sorely missed in the Sherwood group

RIP Mick, and condolences to his family and friends. All the best, big un…

Muckaway:
Vehicle chain killed trucker, court is told | Oxford Mail
How can a chain “swing out”? Incorrect reports around this way at the time said it was a skip lorry, clearly not the case.

He must of had the chain clipped into a D link or such on the side of the lorry and just thrown the other end across the lorry bed, but the weight of the chain plus a bumpy road will gradually pull the chain off the bed and leave a loop hanging down the side, once there is a loop then the rest will fall sharpish, must of flailed up into the oncoming lorry.

I think as the case continues more of the circumstances concerning the incident will come out

oxfordmail.co.uk/news/108338 … th/?ref=mr
The verdict.

So the unsecured chain was fixed to the vehicle then?

It sounds like that he’d hung it on the bulkhead rather than leave it loose on the deck. It’s how I used to carry mine when I had a high bulkhead although I never had them swing out.

Very bad situation all round.

I too can’t picture in my head exactly what happened with that chain.

If we had the sort of incident reports that pilots get then maybe a repeat can be avoided.

I’ve hung all sorts of chains, straps & ropes from the headboard & never thought it could be dangerous.

Chas:
I too can’t picture in my head exactly what happened with that chain.

If we had the sort of incident reports that pilots get then maybe a repeat can be avoided.

I’ve hung all sorts of chains, straps & ropes from the headboard & never thought it could be dangerous.

:open_mouth:

If you’ve got a chain that’s anchored at one end at the top and free at the bottom hanging vertically from the headboard,then when you combine that with a sideways G loading as in a sweeping bend etc etc,you’ve effectively got a flail in which the sideways centrifugal G will send the chain out sideways horizontally.It’s then just a question of where the chain is anchored relative to the side of the vehicle and how long the chain is.

Carryfast:
[

If you’ve got a chain that’s anchored at one end at the top and free at the bottom hanging vertically from the headboard,then when you combine that with a sideways G loading as in a sweeping bend etc etc,you’ve effectively got a flail in which the sideways centrifugal G will send the chain out sideways horizontally.It’s then just a question of where the chain is anchored relative to the side of the vehicle and how long the chain is.

Sideways G is called centrifugal force, & it would need to be a very violent manoeuvre to swing a heavy chain out like I imagine the chain that hit this truck did.

Chas:

Carryfast:
[

Sideways G is called centrifugal force, & it would need to be a very violent manoeuvre to swing a heavy chain out like I imagine the chain that hit this truck did.

The actual scenario could probably be predicted easily by a few mathematical calculations concerning the length and weight of the chain and it’s exact anchorage point,radius of the turn,and speed of the truck.But my maths is zb :wink: .

It doesn’t need to be a violent manouvre just a relatively continuous sweeping bend could probably get a chain to swing enough to cause a hazard especially if there was a change in direction from one side to the other such as through a series of open bends.

Carryfast:
The actual scenario could probably be predicted easily by a few mathematical calculations concerning the length and weight of the chain and it’s exact anchorage point,radius of the turn,and speed of the truck.But my maths is zb :wink: .

It doesn’t need to be a violent manouvre just a relatively continuous sweeping bend could probably get a chain to swing enough to cause a hazard especially if there was a change in direction from one side to the other such as through a series of open bends.

I can’t imagine any truck travelling at a speed on any road that would swing a heavy chain out much further than the mirrors.

It would be useful to understand EXACTLY what happened, just so the rest of us, to who hanging chains & things on the bulkhead is natural, don’t make the same mistake.

My best guess is one end is secured on the truck, the other end has ended up on the road & somehow, maybe run over by a wheel, has slingshot’d up flailing everywhere with a LOT of energy.

Chas:

Carryfast:

I can’t imagine any truck travelling at a speed on any road that would swing a heavy chain out much further than the mirrors.

It would be useful to understand EXACTLY what happened, just so the rest of us, to who hanging chains & things on the bulkhead is natural, don’t make the same mistake.

My best guess is one end is secured on the truck, the other end has ended up on the road & somehow, maybe run over by a wheel, has slingshot’d up flailing everywhere with a LOT of energy.

There are numerous different scenarios in which unsecured load security equipment can be just as bad as an unsecured load.As I’ve said previously.I just used the idea it either goes in the chain locker/s if they’ve been provided or in the cab on the passenger side floor especially in the case of chains and tensioners.

As someone pointed out previously empty skip wagon chains hanging loose are a perfect example of the potential dangers of hanging chains.

Carryfast:
There are numerous different scenarios in which unsecured load security equipment can be just as bad as an unsecured load.As I’ve said previously.I just used the idea it either goes in the chain locker/s if they’ve been provided or in the cab on the passenger side floor especially in the case of chains and tensioners.

I could be pedantic & argue that there is no such thing as “unsecured load security equipment” & point out that an unsecured load is an unsecured load. But I won’t, I don’t see the point, at least not with you.

Carryfast:
As someone pointed out previously empty skip wagon chains hanging loose are a perfect example of the potential dangers of hanging chains.

Drove skips for years m8, never had a loose one swing out more than 45deg (why does the skip need to be empty?). Trust me on this, when they’re swinging, you’re watching.

Partly why I can’t imagine any chain hanging from the bulkhead causing the OP.

If we had the details of what happened, maybe a few of us would think twice before possibly suffering the same fate.

I had this lorry set up like this for about 3 years and never noticed the chains moving at all, so either the driver was cornering hard or something flicked up by the wheels.

I’m sure there must be more to it than has been reported.

Chas:

Carryfast:

I could be pedantic & argue that there is no such thing as “unsecured load security equipment” & point out that an unsecured load is an unsecured load. But I won’t, I don’t see the point, at least not with you.

Carryfast:

Drove skips for years m8, never had a loose one swing out more than 45deg (why does the skip need to be empty?). Trust me on this, when they’re swinging, you’re watching.

Partly why I can’t imagine any chain hanging from the bulkhead causing the OP.

If we had the details of what happened, maybe a few of us would think twice before possibly suffering the same fate.

By empty skip wagon I was referring to a skip wagon with no skips on and just it’s skip lifting chains left hanging.Bearing in mind the distance between two vehicles running in opposite directions can be not much more than the combined distance of the two vehicles’ mirrors from the cab,then 45 degrees of swinging chain,that’s anchored at or near the side of the wagon,would possibly be more than enough.

I totally agree with you that considering the circumstances the ‘exact’ details of what actually happened in this case should be made available across the industry starting with this site. :bulb:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=A2KSLQjyscU

m.youtube.com/watch?v=8L_OqlzZx6A

:open_mouth: Crikey they are dodgy!

The pickup video is bound to fail, snatching a truck at that speed is plain stupid, the chain test is done in house and there was a test house in Hull who did this type of testing.

Most European drivers had a set of U bolts welded to the chassis with snow chains hung on them. I doubt anyone can point to a case where a driver was killed by a loose chain or one falling off. To be killed by a chain it would have to be under some tension beforehand, but the CSI will soon find out what happened :laughing:

Right then gents, like the Big Un, I too was a good friend of Micks and also a work colleague at Sherwoods. The offending chain was not under tension, nor was it securing anything. How the chain became a cheesewire could have happened two simple ways, it either slid across the bed and hit something in the road that caused it to flail up and slice Mick’s cab, or it caught the rotating tyre/wheel of the trailer and that flung it up into the air having the same effect. I’ve done low loader work before with chains and always secured them when not in use, never leaving them on the bed of the trailer as the any vibrations can cause them to move. It’s simple physics really, put a brick on a washing machine even on a SLOW spin and it will work itself off (an extreme example but true). What happened was a one in a million tragedy. The driver of the Select truck never set out that day to kill anyone, however this case must highlight the dangers of unsecured chains on the back of trailers and hopefully stop this ever happening again. RIP Mick Stringer, a pleasure to have known you and glad a few of us could make your last journey with you!

bazza123:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A2KSLQjyscU

m.youtube.com/watch?v=8L_OqlzZx6A

:open_mouth: Crikey they are dodgy!

That vid where they are recovering the stuck 4x4 is just about the worst advert for recovery.
Never do a ■■■■■■ recovery with a chain, they are extremely lucky the worst did not happen.