Logistics..arrrrgh

switchlogic:
Do you want to be driving an AEC or an Atkinson as well?!

Thanks for that offer Switch. I,ll have the Atki please, complete with sign-written “R. Sole. Road Haulage”, on the cab doors. Also 2 log-books , behind the seat. Other than that I,m supporting “Bazfrombenidorm” on this one.To whom I wish, seeing that he seems to have left .“Bon route mon Ami.” :smiley: :smiley:

Of course you can always trace these words back to their roots.

Logistics sounds like a cross between logic and tactics but it’s not related to either. Surprisingly, it is the troops’ “lodging” which is the crucial factor. The French logistique, is based on the Old French loge “summerhouse, hut”. Ultimately it comes from the Late Latin laubia (or lobia), “hut” which is also the ancestor of lobby, lodge, loge (a double-wide seat at a theater) and the Italian loggia, “gallery, cloister”.

laubia■■? I knew there would be a ■■■■■■ reference somewhere…

bazfrombenidorm:

I knew someone would say that! The key word in that sentence is ‘widely’. More people speak Madarin Chinese than any othe language but relatively few speak it outside China. Relativley being key word there before anyone says anything.

English is the most WIDELY spoken language in the world by far.

This is detracting from my original statement. In much the same way that I dislike the term “domestic engineer” for housewife, I happen to dislike many other forms of obfuscation and thus would like to draw your attention to the plain English campaign. Merci et au revoir.
http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/

That’s a great word I’ve never heard before, obfuscation!

For those like me who have no idea what it means -

obfuscate
verb [ trans. ]
render obscure, unclear, or unintelligible

DERIVATIVES
obfuscation noun
obfuscatory adjective

ORIGIN late Middle English : from late Latin obfuscat- ‘darkened,’ from the verb obfuscare, based on Latin fuscus ‘dark.’

Thanks, I love learning new words.