Little wheels on DAF tractor units

they can be plated at 44 toone, but if the government decide to increase the weight limitds, a standard 6x2 on regular size wheels can increase the total gross weight, but if it is fitted with the smaller wheels, as per the original post, they can only pull at a max 44 tonne

Agree they look pants…understand the weight/money benefits but still prefer they didn’t exist.

Why not just put a pair of castors on??

TC

my god they look bloody horrible

6 x 4 all the way for me!

A and M commercials in Monaghan will fit a mini midlift for €3k. thats good isnt it.?

Lucy:
Since when have third axles been specced on aesthetic grounds? :confused:

So i’ve decided not to fit a midi lift cos some on here don’t like how they look, and i’m not to fit any extra lights or have curtains with frills on and certainly no stainless cos it would look like a fairground motor, i’m not going to eat anymore chips cos i might have a heart attack. In fact i’m gonna give up having an opinion and a personality :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Lucy summed up this subject in 10 words. You guys are funny at times. If any one can give an argument why these axles shouldn’t be used, then lets hear it.
I am genuinely interested, but not on the grounds of aesthetics.

im happy with the size of mine peeps, you know the people who shout about how small looks stupid are only hiding some deep phobias about size and performance…wonder why?.. :laughing:

wirralpete:
im happy with the size of mine peeps, you know the people who shout about how small looks stupid are only hiding some deep phobias about size and performance…wonder why?.. :laughing:

Nice come back DINKY WINKY! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

MR VAIN:

Lucy:
Since when have third axles been specced on aesthetic grounds? :confused:

So i’ve decided not to fit a midi lift cos some on here don’t like how they look, and i’m not to fit any extra lights or have curtains with frills on and certainly no stainless cos it would look like a fairground motor, i’m not going to eat anymore chips cos i might have a heart attack. In fact i’m gonna give up having an opinion and a personality :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Lucy summed up this subject in 10 words. You guys are funny at times. If any one can give an argument why these axles shouldn’t be used, then lets hear it.
I am genuinely interested, but not on the grounds of aesthetics.

It’s up to you, you don’t mind what people think do you :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

TC

MR VAIN:
My next motor will have one of those axles. Not that i have to explain, but i see a lot of valid points.

Weight saving,
less wearing parts,
better ground clearence,
the steering lock of a 4x2,
cos i can hide it behind a side skirt,
cos it appears to get up peoples noses! (not really, just bemuses me that some go on about it don’t look nice!)

You can add traction to that, if the manufacturer gets the weights right, as the majority of the weight is carried on the front and rear axles.
My 51 plate CF has 450000+ miles on it, and the mini lift has never been any bother at all, apart from brake imbalance at test time, and that’s been sorted

The tyre’s must also be cheaper to replace on those little mid lifts.

Wayne:

Good point, but i doubt it, i wouldn’t be that fotunate. And yes Renaultman, traction is a concern, thats kinda what i was getting at with the ground clearence.

MR VAIN:

Wayne:

Good point, but i doubt it, i wouldn’t be that fotunate. And yes Renaultman, traction is a concern, thats kinda what i was getting at with the ground clearence.

Don’r wanna worry you to much, but the ground clearance when the axle is down is pretty crap. Tyre wear is pretty good thougfh comparable to their big brother’s :laughing:

renaultman:

MR VAIN:

Wayne:

Don’r wanna worry you to much, but the ground clearance when the axle is down is pretty crap. Tyre wear is pretty good thougfh comparable to their big brother’s :laughing:

Thats not a concern, if its anything like my first Scania that had a grafted in axle, i should be able to pick it up when i’m off road. Good to have some positive feed back. Well done and thanks.

As someone said on an earlier thread,it looks as if you’ve run over a Transit van!

van beatem spelling prob wrong have nuff scania’s with them.

Limeyphil,s correct it acts like a add on and can be lifted any wt or any time, so the drive axle is still 11.5 ton gross and its 4.5 ton on the 17.5x245/70 tyred axle and it weighs the same as a 4x2 with 900 litres of fuel with standard volvo tanks or 1200 litres made tanks from Wisbech
Plus its 44 ton gross in the uk.
Mine when lifted are behind the side skirts and the tyre wear on the lift is minimal 210000kms and the tyres are as new.
Harry its very handy on the fridge work as we are allways overweight on the drive axle
Klunk