Lift axles

Switchlogic will probbaly know the ferry lane landfill site in rainham where i generally run to and can confirm it can be rough in there. Yesterday in soft ground after i tipped i was getting lots of wheelspin but not much movment. i pulled the ejector blade back to the front of the trailer and pulled away no problem with the combined weight of the blade and ram sitting on the drive bogie but it was the weight not having two drive axles that done the trick.
Double drive is a better set up for landfill work for a similar reason to bobthedogs argument for the lake. As the ground can be unerven its very easy to find yourself in the situation where one set of wheels or axle has nothing to grip to but having the two drive axles gives you more chance of finding grip. But on the road as Marks situation showed its weight you need not more driven wheels.
Anyone with experince of tippers and roll on roll offs off road will tell you if you get bogged down and the diffs and cross locks dont do the truck lifting the body a few feet or pushing the bin back on the chasis is often enough to get you going.

and do the benefits outweigh the extra mph? (sorry cant edit on my phone)

Cruise Control:
i thought this was about lift axles not 6x2 or 6x4. But while we’re on subject how much is the mpg between the 2 running fully loaded say. Lol

between half and one mpg running head to head on the same work.
It was about lift axles but anything carryfast starts posting on ends up as an arguement why a detroit two stroke powered kenworth pulling two trailers at 80 ton at 100mph is the solution to the problems of the european industury.

Cruise Control:
and do the benefits outweigh the extra mph? (sorry cant edit on my phone)

Only if you do lots of off road work unless you ask carryfast :laughing:

kr79:
Switchlogic will probbaly know the ferry lane landfill site in rainham where i generally run to and can confirm it can be rough in there. Yesterday in soft ground after i tipped i was getting lots of wheelspin but not much movment. i pulled the ejector blade back to the front of the trailer and pulled away no problem with the combined weight of the blade and ram sitting on the drive bogie but it was the weight not having two drive axles that done the trick.
Double drive is a better set up for landfill work for a similar reason to bobthedogs argument for the lake. As the ground can be unerven its very easy to find yourself in the situation where one set of wheels or axle has nothing to grip to but having the two drive axles gives you more chance of finding grip. But on the road as Marks situation showed its weight you need not more driven wheels.
Anyone with experince of tippers and roll on roll offs off road will tell you if you get bogged down and the diffs and cross locks dont do the truck lifting the body a few feet or pushing the bin back on the chasis is often enough to get you going.

A good post and Bob and I along with others will have had the problem where all the load is at the rear of the trailer. Illegal you say, possibly, but it happens with a liquid tanker, move off the load moves back, it picks the wheels up and a 4x2 will have more traction than a 6x4 :laughing: and more payload :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:

kr79:

A good post and Bob and I along with others will have had the problem where all the load is at the rear of the trailer. Illegal you say, possibly, but it happens with a liquid tanker, move off the load moves back, it picks the wheels up and a 4x2 will have more traction than a 6x4 :laughing: and more payload :stuck_out_tongue:

I think that example actually proves the superiority of a rigid pulling a drawbar trailer over an artic not 6x4 versus 4x2 or 6x2.But it’s obvious that the issue is all about getting the best balance and compromise between drive axle weights versus gross weights is part of the equation but everyone’s forgetting that having double the amount of contact between the ground and the driving wheels in the case of 6x4 versus 4x2 and 6x2 and the traction co efficient provided by that needs to be factored into the equation.But if it was only the drive axle weight issue then it’s got to be that the 4x2 has the advantage over both 6x2 and 6x4.Which is probably why the only answer that the 6x2 fans have to the traction issues of a 6x2 is to dump the undriven axle’s load and transferr it all onto the drive axle thereby making it into an overloaded 4x2.That’s assuming that the 6x2 can even be loaded in a way which would provide the type of drive axle weights which a loaded 6x4 has with both it’s axles equally loaded at max gross.The fact is that the best all round compromise for traction and realistic axle weights,on the road,is the rigid 6x4 pulling a 45 foot drawbar trailer wether the outfit is running empty or loaded versus either a 4x2 or 6x2 artic outfits.But as kr79 says having two sets of drive axles also gives you more chance of finding grip but that also applies on the road not just on landfill sites.

As KR and switchlogic have said, and with your gritter references you even agree yourself Carryfreak, you just don’t realise it :laughing: the 6x4 is good on uneven ground, that way you don’t have a wheel off the ground spinning away, anything which touches the ground can get you moving, that’s why they use them over here, well not quite, but that’s why they used to use them pre Eisenhower and his interstate network, the roads used to be gravel (as seen in the Dukes of Hazzard) getting stuck on uneven ground was common, that’s why they ran 6x4s, they still run them because…they’re American :unamused:

The only other nation where they use double drive is down under, because of the weight they pull, a single axle could not cope with the stress day in and day out, they also run on unmade roads, but for on highway work, even in a rigid pulling a 13.6m trailer a 6x2 is all you need and the best configuration would be…a 6x2 rear lift :wink:

Well I’ll add my two penneth, we ran 6x4 rigids at 26t and 6x2 artics at 38t, the 6x4 rigids did 1.5 mpg less than the artic, you want to put a 45’ trailer behind one of these ? why not throw a dinosaur detroit diesel into the mix as well and get it down to 3mpg. who the hell could afford to run outfits like that.

newmercman:
As KR and switchlogic have said, and with your gritter references you even agree yourself Carryfreak, you just don’t realise it :laughing: the 6x4 is good on uneven ground, that way you don’t have a wheel off the ground spinning away, anything which touches the ground can get you moving, that’s why they use them over here, well not quite, but that’s why they used to use them pre Eisenhower and his interstate network, the roads used to be gravel (as seen in the Dukes of Hazzard) getting stuck on uneven ground was common, that’s why they ran 6x4s, they still run them because…they’re American :unamused:

The only other nation where they use double drive is down under, because of the weight they pull, a single axle could not cope with the stress day in and day out, they also run on unmade roads, but for on highway work, even in a rigid pulling a 13.6m trailer a 6x2 is all you need and the best configuration would be…a 6x2 rear lift :wink:

Not just OZ running at 90 t + but most,if not all, of those NZ highway eight wheeler drawbar prime movers are 8x4 and that is’nt exactly the outback and no where near OZ combination or train weights.But the issue of the odds being better of the wheels on two drive axles finding grip on a slippery/loose road surface has nothing to do with having any wheels ‘off the ground’.But using a 6x2 tractor unit running even at 44 t is a compromise if you don’t intend to use it as an overloaded 4x2 in bad conditions.At 60-65 gross train it’s also probably inevitable that a 6x2 prime mover would have to be used as a 4x2 at some point when the single drive axle inevitably loses traction in bad conditions with the lifting tag loaded up to maximum.It’s just that with an artic that compromise is magnified to the point where a 6x2 44 tonne gross artic outfit would give up long before a 6x2 65 tonne gross drawbar outfit would.But it would be the 6x4 drawbar outfit that gives up last if at all.The issue is just one of good old school engineering versus modern day thinking.Which is why we were using 6x4 and 8x4 highway trucks at far less gross weights than we’ve got now and why Wheelbarrow posted that picture of that nightmare Scandinavian Artic and caravan combination :open_mouth: when they’ve been using the right kit for years.Except that even their wagon and drags would be better if they were pulled by 6x4 prime movers in the same way that the New Zealanders still stay with good old fashioned British ideas even though their roads are’nt known for being like pre Eisenhower America’s. :smiley:

I know I am going to regret this, but will no-one rid us of this petulant prat?

aholatransport.com/about-us/ … he-company have been in business for 55 years and run over 300 trailers compared to Carryontossing who runs how many? Oh yes, none…

Mate, try and get a job driving a transit van or something, find your own way to Dover and see if you can see how the Europeans do it. I am fairly sure not all of them have got it so wrong, talk about 60, 70 or 90 tonne gross vehicles is ■■■■■■■■, we run 6 axles at 44 tonne.

Much of Europe still runs at 40 tonne, neither you, nor me are going to change that any time soon!

Wheel Nut:

aholatransport.com/about-us/ … he-company have been in business for 55 years and run over 300 trailers compared to Carryontossing who runs how many? Oh yes, none…

Mate, try and get a job driving a transit van or something, find your own way to Dover and see if you can see how the Europeans do it. I am fairly sure not all of them have got it so wrong, talk about 60, 70 or 90 tonne gross vehicles is ■■■■■■■■, we run 6 axles at 44 tonne.

Much of Europe still runs at 40 tonne, neither you, nor me are going to change that any time soon!

Yeah right 40 tonnes with a 4x2 because ‘much of Europe’ knows that using a 6x2 at 40 or 44t is just going to make things even worse for getting through a european winter.But did that scandinavian firm get where it is now by being based in a country with a 40t,let alone 32 t,limit and were they running those artic and caravan outfits even 25 years ago let alone 55 :question: .But maybe it would be a good idea to ask the drivers over there wether they’d prefer that or a scandinavian drawbar outfit regardless of the amount of drive axles. :unamused:

Rob K:
YAWN NTSA. :unamused:

+1

but still… :unamused:

Carryfast:

Wheel Nut:

Yeah right 40 tonnes with a 4x2 because ‘much of Europe’ knows that using a 6x2 at 40 or 44t is just going to make things even worse for getting through a european winter.

Why would it make things worse?

You can legally load 6x2 to exactly same axle loads at 40 tonnes as 4x2 (minus a bit of payload) so no difference here.

At 44 tonnes with 6x2 you can put most of the extra 3 tonne payload over trailers bogie which would make your drive axle weight be around 1 to 2 tonnes over limit IF you choose to lift it at slow speed in adverse conditions for a limited amount of time. Yes, you would be most wanted villain of the country, but as long as you are on solid surface (i.e. tarmac, packed snow or ice) that offers you much more traction than you can get from 4x2 or 6x4. Real life example of this can be seen for example in my previous post with empty 8x4 Trakker with lifted rear axle or from newmercman’s post.

If you choose to load 44 tonner 6x2 so that most of the load weigh is in front of the trailer, weight of the tractor unit will be similar to 6x2 rigid. According to you, 6x2 prime mover is much better tractionwise than 6x2 tractor units, but I fail to see how this would be true when loaded like this.

So, my point is that using 6x2 instead of 4x2 is not going to make things worse in European winter. Note: this only applies in real life where none of us is saint, despite what one states in the Internet.

Carryfast:
But did that scandinavian firm get where it is now by being based in a country with a 40t,let alone 32 t,limit and were they running those artic and caravan outfits even 25 years ago let alone 55 :question: .But maybe it would be a good idea to ask the drivers over there wether they’d prefer that or a scandinavian drawbar outfit regardless of the amount of drive axles. :unamused:

Well, rest assured, they didn’t use those 25 or 55 years ago because they were illegal in Finland. But what you think about this 6x2 70 tonne artic + a-frame outfit used for profit in Sweden at 1964 (from Hank’s truck pictures)?

Kyrbo:

Rob K:

+1

Carryfast:

Wheel Nut:

Yeah right 40 tonnes with a 4x2 because ‘much of Europe’ knows that using a 6x2 at 40 or 44t is just going to make things even worse for getting through a european winter.

You can legally load 6x2 to exactly same axle loads at 40 tonnes as 4x2 (minus a bit of payload) so no difference here.

At 44 tonnes with 6x2 you can put most of the extra 3 tonne payload over trailers bogie which would make your drive axle weight be around 1 to 2 tonnes over limit IF you choose to lift it at slow speed in adverse conditions for a limited amount of time. Yes, you would be most wanted villain of the country, but as long as you are on solid surface (i.e. tarmac, packed snow or ice) that offers you much more traction than you can get from 4x2 or 6x4. Real life example of this can be seen for example in my previous post with empty 8x4 Trakker with lifted rear axle or from newmercman’s post.

If you choose to load 44 tonner 6x2 so that most of the load weigh is in front of the trailer, weight of the tractor unit will be similar to 6x2 rigid. According to you, 6x2 prime mover is much better tractionwise than 6x2 tractor units, but I fail to see how this would be true when loaded like this.

So, my point is that using 6x2 instead of 4x2 is not going to make things worse in European winter. Note: this only applies in real life where none of us is saint, despite what one states in the Internet.

Carryfast:

It’s obvious that all of the extra weight difference,between a 5 axle 4x2 40 tonner artic outfit and a 6 axle 6x2 44 tonner artic,is designed to be accounted for by the undriven extra axle on the 6x2 tractor unit.What actually applies ‘in real life’ is that the undriven axle takes a lot more weight than just the extra 4 tonnes.In reality you’ve actually turned a single drive axle 4x2 tractor unit into one with a tandem axle bogie just like a yank 6x4 ‘but’ without both axles being driven and without both axles being designed to carry equal weight.The only way that you’re going to get that drive axle weight,which you would have got with the 4x2,is to load the 6x2 tractor unit’s rear two axled bogie in exactly the way that you would have loaded it as a 4x2 but with just an extra 4 tonnes on the undriven unit rear axle.Simples.But probably impossible in the real world which is one of the reasons why the yanks prefer 6x4 units and why the europeans are sensible enough to stay with 40 tonnes on 5 axles using 4x2 units not 44 tonnes on 6 axles using 6x2 units.However the fact is where is the so called road friendly difference,between 6x2 44 tonners and 4x2 40 tonners,when you have to run both types with the same heavier gross weight drive axle than you’d need with the 6x4 unit :question: :question: which, of course,more than makes up for it’s lower individual drive axle weights by using more contact area between road and wheels.But lifting an axle to put a drive axle overweight,when the inevitable loss of traction happens with 6x2,is likely to make you the most wanted villain enough to get points on your licence and if you get enough points you’ll be out of a job.But your comparison between the rigid and the tractor unit would mean having to always load the trailer to provide the tractor unit with a gross weight of 25 tonnes with only 19 tonnes spread across the 3 trailer axles which does’nt seem a realistic loading plan for a 6 axle artic outfit.But traction of rigids versus artics :question: :question: .Just see how far that you’d get in weather which would stop a 6x2 artic loaded or empty versus a 6x2 drawbar outfit loaded or empty.

Carryfast:

Kyrbo:

Rob K:

+1

Carryfast:

Wheel Nut:

Carryfast:

It’s obvious that all of the extra weight difference,between a 5 axle 4x2 40 tonner artic outfit and a 6 axle 6x2 44 tonner artic,is designed to be accounted for by the undriven extra axle on the 6x2 tractor unit.What actually applies ‘in real life’ is that the undriven axle takes a lot more weight than just the extra 4 tonnes.In reality you’ve actually turned a single drive axle 4x2 tractor unit into one with a tandem axle bogie just like a yank 6x4 ‘but’ without both axles being driven and without both axles being designed to carry equal weight.The only way that you’re going to get that drive axle weight,which you would have got with the 4x2,is to load the 6x2 tractor unit’s rear two axled bogie in exactly the way that you would have loaded it as a 4x2 but with just an extra 4 tonnes on the undriven unit rear axle.Simples.But probably impossible in the real world which is one of the reasons why the yanks prefer 6x4 units and why the europeans are sensible enough to stay with 40 tonnes on 5 axles using 4x2 units not 44 tonnes on 6 axles using 6x2 units.However the fact is where is the so called road friendly difference,between 6x2 44 tonners and 4x2 40 tonners,when you have to run both types with the same heavier gross weight drive axle than you’d need with the 6x4 unit :question: :question: which, of course,more than makes up for it’s lower individual drive axle weights by using more contact area between road and wheels.But lifting an axle to put a drive axle overweight,when the inevitable loss of traction happens with 6x2,is likely to make you the most wanted villain enough to get points on your licence and if you get enough points you’ll be out of a job.But your comparison between the rigid and the tractor unit would mean having to always load the trailer to provide the tractor unit with a gross weight of 25 tonnes with only 19 tonnes spread across the 3 trailer axles which does’nt seem a realistic loading plan for a 6 axle artic outfit.But traction of rigids versus artics :question: :question: .Just see how far that you’d get in weather which would stop a 6x2 artic loaded or empty versus a 6x2 drawbar outfit loaded or empty.

As has been stated by people who have driven 6x4 proper trucks not a snow plough on the tarmac its weight that will keep you moving in bad weather not the amount of driven axles.
If your so worried about traction see if you can dig out one of them multidrive artics from the 80s then you can have driven trailer axles aswell.
Or join the circus as thats where your rigid roadtrain type thing belongs but it will probally be some old gardner powered erf or foden pulling it :smiley:

kr79:

Carryfast:

Kyrbo:

Rob K:

+1

Carryfast:

Wheel Nut:

Carryfast:

As has been stated by people who have driven 6x4 proper trucks not a snow plough on the tarmac its weight that will keep you moving in bad weather not the amount of driven axles.
If your so worried about traction see if you can dig out one of them multidrive artics from the 80s then you can have driven trailer axles aswell.
Or join the circus as thats where your rigid roadtrain type thing belongs but it will probally be some old gardner powered erf or foden pulling it :smiley:

But that extra drive axle makes all the difference.

youtube.com/watch?v=gYeq9im0 … 6&index=45

youtube.com/watch?v=xjQ–kSpnTQ&nr=1

youtube.com/watch?v=ZcmuSUR- … re=related

By the way I reckon that he’s bs ing when he says that he’s not running at around 60 mph most of the time.Just in case the DOT or the guvnor gets upset. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Just a small point in this, but in lifting a tag or midlift axle on a 6x2 unit to gain extra traction when loaded would put you overweight on that axle acording to the UKs rules as to what these tractor units are plated for in this country, but in other countrys these same units are plated at higher weights so although breaking the law here any danger incurred during this process is unlikely as the unit and all the driveline componants would be more than able to handle the increased load.

NB12:
Just a small point in this, but in lifting a tag or midlift axle on a 6x2 unit to gain extra traction when loaded would put you overweight on that axle acording to the UKs rules as to what these tractor units are plated for in this country, but in other countrys these same units are plated at higher weights so although breaking the law here any danger incurred during this process is unlikely as the unit and all the driveline componants would be more than able to handle the increased load.

Yeah right but can you drive the thing through a Brit snow storm let alone an American one at any speed whatever the speed that yank wagon is actually running at and would that plated weight in other countries defence save you from an endorsement here for an overloading offence. :unamused:

I can’t be bothered to try to snip away at your virtually unintelligable post to get the relevant parts, curryfart, but you have just proved that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
IIRC, the Spaniards and French were allowed up to 13 tonnes on a drive axle. Not sure if that has changed or not.
Also, IIRC, the maximum allowed on a 6x2 drive axle is 10.5 tonnes, while on a 4x2 it is 11.5. Bottom line on that is that replating is generally a paper exercise between 36 and 40 tonnes on a 4x2 and 38 to 44 tonnes on a 6x2. I may be wrong, but I think the UK laws state that a 6x4 on general haulage is allowed 9 tonnes per axle. The ability to dump the air to really load the drive axle can make all the difference. When you have watched some poor fool have to put 4 sets of chains on and still not be able to get away then you start to get it, but you would have to youtube it because that is as close to real life as you will ever get. There goes your entire argument… So sorry…NOT!!

Your drawbar nonsense, well read this…

Wheel Nut:

Try climbing out of Chard with a 34000 litre barrel loaded with 18000 litres in the rain with any of your daydreams. You would be calling out a wrecker, and if you had your drawbar dream then there is a fair chance you would be calling the fire crews and ambulances because your 6x4 would probably being. I still disagree!on its side or in some poor persons car. I slid all the way down the hill outside Rowes in Newquay once, during the only snow most had ever seen there. That was in a loaded 6x4 rigid. I slid halfway down a hill on the winter roads once, and had to bury the trailer in a ditch to stop. That was in a 6x4 Kenworth. Chances are, with a set of single chains on a single drive axle that that wouldn`t have happened. Then again, I would never have taken a 6x2 up there because of the lakes and beaverdams.
Someone described curryfart as entertaing

bobthedog:
I can’t be bothered to try to snip away at your virtually unintelligable post to get the relevant parts, curryfart, but you have just proved that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
IIRC, the Spaniards and French were allowed up to 13 tonnes on a drive axle. Not sure if that has changed or not.
Also, IIRC, the maximum allowed on a 6x2 drive axle is 10.5 tonnes, while on a 4x2 it is 11.5. Bottom line on that is that replating is generally a paper exercise between 36 and 40 tonnes on a 4x2 and 38 to 44 tonnes on a 6x2. I may be wrong, but I think the UK laws state that a 6x4 on general haulage is allowed 9 tonnes per axle. The ability to dump the air to really load the drive axle can make all the difference. When you have watched some poor fool have to put 4 sets of chains on and still not be able to get away then you start to get it, but you would have to youtube it because that is as close to real life as you will ever get. There goes your entire argument… So sorry…NOT!!

Your drawbar nonsense, well read this…

Wheel Nut:

Try climbing out of Chard with a 34000 litre barrel loaded with 18000 litres in the rain with any of your daydreams. You would be calling out a wrecker, and if you had your drawbar dream then there is a fair chance you would be calling the fire crews and ambulances because your 6x4 would probably being. I still disagree!on its side or in some poor persons car. I slid all the way down the hill outside Rowes in Newquay once, during the only snow most had ever seen there. That was in a loaded 6x4 rigid. I slid halfway down a hill on the winter roads once, and had to bury the trailer in a ditch to stop. That was in a 6x4 Kenworth. Chances are, with a set of single chains on a single drive axle that that wouldn`t have happened. Then again, I would never have taken a 6x2 up there because of the lakes and beaverdams.
Someone described curryfart as entertaing

9.5 t each on a 6x4 but correct me if I’m wrong.Which,allowing for the extra 100% amount of contact between road and wheels,is probably worth around at least 15 tonnes,maybe more on a 4x2 or a 6x2 drive axle with it’s undriven axle lifted.But yes you’re right it is possible for any type of parked truck,with it’s park brake applied,to slide down a hill and wipe out whatever gets in it’s way,while the driver is in the cafe having a break if the road is slippery enough :unamused: .But zb happens.But I’ve posted the general result of the argument on those youtube clips which shows the difference in the real world between having a single drive axle and having two.Which is probably why that land rover and those yank 18 wheelers are getting on with it while all the trucks in Northampton and in Germany are stuck. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

bobthedog:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: