John Miller (Lockerbie)

adam277:
£8.26 an hour as a an artic driver is reason enough to jog it on.
Might be a ‘fair’ rate for a van driver but I wouldn’t get in any vehicle bigger then a van for that rate.

Does the CPC not make this a skilled job now? Is so why do we often get paid peanuts.

Depends where in the country you live

Aye, as happy mentioned, it depends where you are. When I lived in Liverpool, I did class 2 work for Maxi and I got £10.20 p/h. Class 1 was £12.00 flat rate, plus an extra 10p per hour for having ADR. It does vary wherever you are.

On reflection I should have stuck it out and tried to negotiate with JM. I’m a fairly loyal person and I felt like a ■■■■ for upping and walking out at the end of the day, but I couldn’t stomach the bad arse attitude of the planner. If I knew I didn’t have another job waiting for me, I’d have probably grit my teeth and worked through it, because it’s still a job. Crap money, but I value the experience - just not the disrespectful attitude of so called colleagues.

Heard about this and sorry mate a lot of the problems you had were down to yourself.
Why did you not check the truck had curtains in before you left the yard? You must have known you were nighting out.

9 hours drive time from lockerbie to Falkirk and back to Dalbeatie, WTF, were you pushing the truck?

Never done a delivery where the customer has taken the drivers straps but you maybe should have mentioned this to the office when you rang. Again that is you as a driver’s responsibility to make sure you are carrying the correct kit.

The trailers are usually spot on. When anything is broken etc it’s usually down to drivers not bothering to defect it. Servicing and maintenance is 100% rigerous and internals are good for nothing especially with 40 odd tonnes of timber on although they would have been better than nothing eh cough cough

No idea where you got £8.26 per hour from, its more than that and has just gone up.

truckster5:
Heard about this and sorry mate a lot of the problems you had were down to yourself.
Why did you not check the truck had curtains in before you left the yard? You must have known you were nighting out.

9 hours drive time from lockerbie to Falkirk and back to Dalbeatie, WTF, were you pushing the truck?

Never done a delivery where the customer has taken the drivers straps but you maybe should have mentioned this to the office when you rang. Again that is you as a driver’s responsibility to make sure you are carrying the correct kit.

The trailers are usually spot on. When anything is broken etc it’s usually down to drivers not bothering to defect it. Servicing and maintenance is 100% rigerous and internals are good for nothing especially with 40 odd tonnes of timber on although they would have been better than nothing eh cough cough

No idea where you got £8.26 per hour from, its more than that and has just gone up.

Wow, what a knob head, OK, lets kick some facts.

I didn’t know I was nighting out. In fact, I was told that for the first week, I’d be with the driver trainer, but ya know, they somehow forgot he was on night shifts, so that was the training out the window. Initially I was meant to be back at the depot, so even though I had night out gear in my car, I was under the impression I was back at the depot. I’ve never thought to check on night heaters and curtains as part of the vehicle checks.

Avanti Environmental (something like that) kept some wooden blocks and the straps. Since I had somebody from the office ring me 3 times whilst I was tipping to change where I was going, I was a bit distracted, under pressure to get this load up there because THEY had messed up by telling me to come in later than they wanted. But yeah, my fault.

9 hours, give or take. I had to triple check everything, cross reference post codes because my sat nav has taken me wrong places, hold ups on the 74 and A75 and being told I’m going to 3 different places until they finally decided on where I was meant to be going.

Trailers are usually spot on? Clearly you know exactly what happened, so did you check that trailer? Oh yeah, I told JM that my limited experience in the HGV industry was mainly on tanks. Mainly ISO tanks and milk tanks. I’d never strapped up a trailer before. My CPC was initial, so it was written and walk around. I told them this, what, at least 4 times? Maybe more. When I got to Dalbeattie, I had to speak to derek (might be wrong) I told him the trailer was battered, I told him I had no straps. Wanna know what he said? Me too, because it was like talking to a plank of wood, incapable of deciphering English and responding with anything of use. He muttered something, with an irritated look on his face and shuffled off. But hey, as long as the trailer got to Wales, eh? cough cough

£8.26 flat rate. FLAT RATE. Clearly you, or whichever boyfriend you spoke to are on a better wage than they offer newbies.

It’s OK though, I since got a job with a better company, with better money, that actually trained new and inexperienced drivers adequately. Never had a problem with trailers (actually, I lie, I had 1 problem with some trailer legs) but the problem was rectified pretty quickly.

Now I think about it, I’m still owed a days wage and for what they was paying, I should have just sacked the job off the second I saw the state of that trailer. I’ll give them a ring on Saturday.