How good is your a/c?

George@ASDA driver:
everyone moans we have a crap summer.

Then when summer comes people use air con and feel cold!!! Madness.

Windows open!! My air con doesn’'t even get turned on!

But your bunk will be full of creepy crawlies :grimacing:

i always consider my companies fuel figures when using my air con on my renault premium unit. I will insist on only keeping it on for an hour while stationary at my tipping point :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

ooppss… 6.8 to the gallon !!! :laughing:

My Scania is OK, nice and refreshing after sweating my ■■■■■■■■ off unloading especially if running the crane.

My car has a fairly decent system but being only a year old so it should have, nice and cool but does take a little while to get the temp down. At Easter I went to Florida and hired a Ford E350 minibus, the a/c system was bloody lethal in that having three settings.

Off

Bloody freezing

Cold enough to freeze hell over.

You could leave the van sat in the boiling sun all day, jump in and start it up and within a minute the passengers would be complaining it was too cold. How can something be so efficient? Probably due to how something can be so ineffiecient in another way.

Bloody great van with 5.4l V8 petrol engine doing about 12mpg, no doubt the a/c was eating the fuel at an alarming rate. I wonder if European systems are less effective than they could be to keep running costs down.

No AC in my truck, it died years ago. The AC in my car hardly gets used as i just press the big silver button by the handbrake and the roof disappears :grimacing:

Aircon? We’ve only just got heated mirrors and electric windows in the last 12 months!

That’s interesting bald bloke that you don’t like driving with the window down, I pretty much always have the window down even when it’s cold with my coat & hat.

My AC is ok in the truck although I did recently re gas the air con in my car as I’m a bit of a porker nowadays so can’t abide Betty Swollocks whilst driving if it can be avoided.

I used to drive merc refuse vehicles for the local council, and they disconnect the aircon pipes to save on fuel costs! Absolutely ridiculous, the windscreen was the size of a footy pitch and just intensified the heat.

However, we did get the odd, old timer, hire vehicle in that had aircon!

SWEDISH BLUE:
the A/c we got is fantastic. Aftr about 30 mins, we have to turn it off cos the house is tooooo cold :smiley: :smiley:

Air conditioning dries the air,and the cooling is because of the liquid gas used.
You can have the a/c on and turn the temperature up a little to make the temperature comfortable,but it removes the moisture from the air,which is what makes you sweat.
The a/c on our Axors and Actros’ is extremely good,as is the a/c on my Volvo V70.

FarnboroughBoy11:
I’m a bit of a walley when it comes to this because I like the outdoors and the sunshine so I have my window open and crank the air con up as well, bit of a waste but it all escapes in the end :slight_smile:

Seems a bit of a waste of a useful accessory, as well as the extra cost of fuel to operate it.
The idea of a/c is to have a controlled enviorenment with the humidity removed by the a/c to keep you comfortable.
Having the a/c on with the windows open achieves ■■■■ all!

The ‘auto’ speed setting and ‘AC’ button on the MAN TGXs works very well indeed, but I did notice that there only appears to be 2 vents in the entire cab, those being the 2 in the middle of the console which are nearly too far away and not enough angle for you to feel anything when you’re driving.

The ones on the Stralis are very effective too I’ve found.

I don’t drive with the windows open wide at speed anymore as last time I did that I got insects on the bunk which then promptly bit my leg, went infectious, got cellulitis and ended up in hospital for 2 weeks as they tried to save my leg. :open_mouth:

Mate truck his AC feels like your getting ■■■■■■ on pretty ■■■■ in my eyes :laughing: :laughing:

Never used to bother with aircon always preferred windows open, still do, no aircon in my car so windows and sunroof open, bliss.

Modern shapes mean the wind buffets too much with the windows open now, still like the window down at slower speeds though.

Spent too many years driving FL10/12 with no aircon and those silly little half size windows, they were stifling, glad to have a full load on with a car over the cab to keep the sun off.

Nothing to beat the days of the opening quarter lights when you could control the airflow by having it sucked out rather than blown in.

bestbooties:
Nothing to beat the days of the opening quarter lights when you could control the airflow by having it sucked out rather than blown in.

Like the DAF CF then :laughing:

No doubt, I’ll be dragged into the office in the next few days and asked why did I leave the unit idling for 50 minutes when on my break…when it’s this hot, the no-idling policy can ■■■■ right off!!

Did anyone see the picture going round for leaving dogs in cars?

After half hour in a car even with the windows cracked at 22’ outside the temperature inside could reach up to between 40 and 50’

On a long drive engines tend to get warm and they are under your cab, oh and heat rises. So run your engine and ac all you want but if your a tramper you will still have to deal with it eventually,

Plenty of water a nice plug in fan and windows open should do the trick.

On another note best a/c I ever used was in a ford fiesta, leave it on long enough with the windows closed and it would start freezing them up I’m sure of it

Silver_Surfer:
That’s interesting bald bloke that you don’t like driving with the window down…

I will if i have to but just can’t stand the wind noise in my right ear which actually has some hearing damage plus flys tend to bounce off the mirrors and land on yer lap.