How did you get to be a lorry driver?

I used to go out with my dad and grandad in the summer hols when I was a nipper so wagon driving must be in the blood
joined the army at 16 stayed in for 10 years then after leaving in 96, found myself doing shunting work for Lee’s petroleum at their birmingham depot, usually loading /unloading the bottled gas trucks, washing the tankers, driving a 7.5 tonner bedford delivering bulk gas tanks, then went to drive for Weavers transport out of their castle vale depot ended up with the tattiest renualt 7.5 tonner you could imagine doing the whole of the UK
Moved up to glasgow in 98 as the missus wanted to move back up to be with her folks as her dad was ill, so ended up doing agency work for a good few years mostly doing multi drop

Moved back down to B’ham in 2002 as the missus had a job offer she couldnt refuse so found myself driving 7.5 tonne daf with hiab for a building contractor , dropping materials and equipment at jobs all over, the UK,Last november I paid for my class C passsed that then went to work for an agency doing class c hiab work on a contract for network rail, however at the begining of this month my mate told about a driving job where he works so went to see about that, got the job , done 2 weeks collecting fridges and freezers for recycling, however after getting a call off the gaffer last week I’m going over to doing steel deliveries all over the UK on another contract that he’s got from this coming tuesday looking forward to it as it means at least 2 or 3 nights out a week

Joined the Merchant Navy in 1968 because I wasnt old enough to drive HGV’s, when I was old enough took a PSV test and passed first time :smiley: great job but hated the passengers :confused: went onto HGV and for a while spent 50/50 of my time between the Merchant Navy and driving, finally gave up the Merchant Navy. Had a break of 4 years from driving (2004-2008) to run a business, managed to pass that on to my wife to get back driving. Wanted to get on containers but no luck :frowning: now I have a really crap job, top spec unit but the job is crap. Totally knackered most of the time, working to the legal limits, 4/5 nights out a week, breaks have to be taken during tipping/loading (but too much to do for a proper break), part of salary is profit related to stuff shifted during week, too much pressure :angry: now they want me to take unit/trailer home at weekends, so taking things day by day at the moment.

still going through the motions (currently doing class1, test this weds).

How did I end up doing it? good question, up until last year I had a strong disliking for lorry drivers - my to55er of a boss was one and another ran off with my fiancee.

I got a job as a driver for a local firm (vans) and decided seeing as I enjoy driving so much, especially long runs, why not?

If you can’t beat 'em, join 'em! :laughing:

I’m loving it so far, nice to be the lorry holding everyone up on a single carriageway rather than being stuck behind it :smiley:

darkseeker:
I had a strong disliking for lorry drivers - ran off with my fiancee.
If you can’t beat 'em, join 'em! :laughing:

After a bit of ‘clever’ editting :unamused:

• Whos fiancee do you wish to run away with :open_mouth: :question: :question: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

lol, I wish it was me mate

I was fed up driving buses, and all that went with it.

HATED working lates.

SO, after having an, erm, not at fault accident whilst driving oneof said buses, (at the Arnison Center in Durham) I chose to invest the whiplash compensation in getting my class 2 then class 1.

Doubled my yearly salary in one fell swoop, no more lates, no more weekends (though I dont really mind working weekends.)

So here I am, still in my first ever job in haulage.

Freightroute. :laughing: :smiling_imp:

Or should I say 'GreatRoute"

Nah, more like not-so-greatroute. :cry:

When I was young both brothers of my father, my uncles, were rally driving. One of them was even champion of Poland in rallys and races, so I spend big part of my choldhood in garage and arround cars. Older uncle was running a garage and younger uncle was running part shop.

Later I becomed fascinated in rail, so I went to techncal college for rails. I was even driving a trains, and altough it’s really great filling to drive 1000’s of tons which runs so smoothly it’s a bit boring and you don’t have this indenpendence, what you have on the road. In this time Europe become opened for Polish tourists without visas and all this crap, so I started to travel arround on Holidays - mostly to France. As only method of travel in my financial situation was hitchhiking (bus ticket to Paris was about my mother’s monthly salary) i was travelling a lot that way, mostly on the lorries. I met hundred of nice people and I really enjoyed that.

After my college, I decided that rail is not a future for me, and I went to pursuit my other passion - astronomy. Unfortunably I wasn’t able to handle my finances to study full time and work… So I failed and moved to physics as it was easier. In this time I was doing every job available - stocktaking, tutoring, some other silly odd-jobs. I was playing bass in the bands and I had old car. One time I spoke with my friends about their small company, and they told me how expensive is to send some packages to other cities with a courier. I told them “Are you silly to pay so much for it? Just call me, and I will do that for you for half price, including fuel” (my car was running on LPG, which was very cheap on this time. So my first vehicle, I was earning money in transport industry with was similar to that:

They soon realised that it’s really cheaper for them to use own vehicle so they bought old ford courier in the german scrap yard, fitted new engine into it and one of these was my first cargo vehicle:

So I was driving for them for two years all arround west and south Poland (later they improved their fleet by using their own fiat uno as a van (by removing back seats) and buying old polonez truck, older even then that one:

this last vehicle was a disaster. They were often called pomylonez instead of polonez (that’s something like “car-mistake”).

After some time company went bankrupt and I was unemployed. In this time I started to catch every opportunity for work again, and I was forced to sell my beloved fiat 125 :wink: But I found good job in the IT magazine. I was writing some linux-related articles and I was paid quite good. But that was soooo booooriiiiing: work in front of computer it’s not for me. Only good thing was that I was worked at home, not in the office.

In this time I went to Scotland to earn some extra money during summer holidays, and as an experienced van driver I caught a job on the sprinter van. I was never driving such big vehicles before, but they were so desperate for drivers (as it was hard job - laundry deliveries) that they tolerated my few small bumps at the start. After all that turned to be a good company, they helped me a lot (inlcuding giving me, agency driver, van to my privat use. After holidays I came back to Poland to finish my studies. But I had a knowledge that van driver on minimum wage in Scotland can earn much more then polish physics teachers. Apart of that army wanted me to do some national service, and I am not happy with the army, especialy in Iraq, so I decided to spend my money on lorry licence and move to Scotland. Unfortunably they were some problems in examination center and I had no opportunity to pass class I test (i was awaiting five months for my class 2 test) so I spend rest of my scottish-earned money on car trip for Total Solar Eclipse to Turkey. I really enjoyed driving throuhg all these countries, and I decided, that I have nothing against being a lorry driver. I don’t know, if that will be good for live, but it’s my dream to become a really long distance driver for some time. So i moved to Scotland and started my class 2 work. Unfortunably due to some personal reasons I wasn’t able to do class 1, and I still do not have any. But I hope to do it in next few months.

I was driving all arround UK from London City to Outher Hebrides, and I am really enjoying this. I was doing some european runs as well, and that will be next step in my driver’s career, I hope :wink:

This autumn I hope to get into university for some languages, but it’s more for me then for career - It can be interested to find some interesting job on this field, but If I will be a lorry driver in good company all my life - i have nothing against that :wink:

Got the bug after going to Liverpool docks with my uncle in 1957 and seeing all the variety af trucks along the dock road.At age 14,couldn’t do much but dream till I was older.
Left school with no qualifications,tried a few dead end jobs,then at 19 decided to join the army,as I knew they had some serious heavy metal,stating categorically that I wanted to DRIVE.Passed my test on a Saladin 6 x 6 armoured car,got to be a driving instructor on same,then we converted to Chieftain tanks,now that’s serious heavy metal!
Left the forces in '69 and got into tramping,starting with a Mk2 Atki,then going onto a 2600 DAF.After 5 years,got into Middle East for 12 years.Came off the road in '86 and went into engineering until I retired at 60 five years ago.Kept my licence renewed while I was off the road,and within a couple of weeks of retirement I was back on the road,doing just 2 night trunks a week.I feel I’m back home,among my real mates again!
Just started to write MY book!

Was on a year out of college working for a civil engineer, age 20. Money was bad. The company had a couple of 8 wheelers with grabs and the drivers of these earned alot more than me so, i did my rigid test and went driving a crane truck. Although the hours were longer i was now earning TWICE the €.
Two years later i did my artic test and moved onto a unit with the same company. They closed up after 6 years, got redundancy and better job. Im still there after 4 years…

Fascinating stories. :smiley:

For me,it all started when I was 11.

I used to to go to my late Grandmas house on a Friday night,and stay the weekend,which for an 11 year old,a trip from Gateshead to Birtley on the bus,was a long journey,even though it is only about 4 miles,and my late uncle,had a Saturday job at the local bakery on the vans. (He was 16.)

I begged him to ask if any of the drivers needed an extra hand,and went in one Saturday morning,and was ‘teamed up’ with a guy who said,that providing I could lift a tray of bread,I could go out on his run with him,as his sidekick.

Much struggling later,we set off,and that was my first foray into the road transport business.I was then going on different runs,with different drivers,some of who will now no longer be with us,and the vehicles that were used,were Leyland 550FG’s,the one with the engine in the cab,and the 4 speed box.

That was it,I was hooked,although the ‘pay’ of between 50p and £1 per shift,made me feel like a millionaire. :laughing:

When that bakery closed,the nearby bakery of Mothers Pride in Gateshead beckoned,as my Dad used to drink with one of the drivers supervisors there,and he was aware that I ‘worked’ at Birtley,so a ‘transfer’ later,and I was back in my by now,familiar surroundings,and still loving it.Gateshead had the same vehicles,so at least I knew what to expect insofar as the noise and smell. ( I defy ANYONE,to say they hate the smell of fresh bread.)

I stayed there until after I left shool with very few qualifications,and subsequently the move by them to bring in newer vehicles,like the Leyland Terrier,which were like Rolls Royces compared to the 550FG,but as soon as I left school,I went to work at the fruit and veg market on the Team Valley,and stuck that for about 3 months,as I hated it,but was in my element,as I used to see the artics bringing in the supplies.

I think it was about this time,that Convoy was on at the pictures,and I knew then what I wanted to do,so a stint back at the bakery,and the move over the river to Westerhope once Gateshead closed,and I stayed there until I got my licence to drive cars,and as was then,7.5 tonners,and I was taken on full time by the bakery.I was like a dog with 2 whatsits.

I stayed there until I got sacked a while later,for a discrepancy on a batch of returns,which I still protested until I finally closed that period of my life.

Not long after that,I moved to Yorkshire,and married my long suffering wife,Tracey,and got my class 2 in 1991,and started work for Clarkes in Ossett,(NOT the brewery.) and in 1996,passed my class 1,and was immediately give an F10,reg no.F462 BOP.It was only a 320,with a 4 over 4,but I thought I was the dogs danglies,and what was also nice,is that I was given the North East run,once I had passed my test,so I was able to see my parents on a daily basis.The run was going for about 4 weeks,until I got my licence,and the gaffer promised me I could have it,once I was successful,a promise which he kept.

Not long after that,I got a proper truck,An ERF EC 14 6x2,L925 RDT,with twin split,which fellow TN member Stuart who is now at Stobbies,used to have.Although it was limited to 53mph,I didn’t care,because I had a motor with a real engine and box in it.Unfortunately,I totalled it in February 2000,and was in intensive care,luckily on Tyneside,and had 8 weeks off,but it didn’t deter me.

Over the years,I have had a couple of spells off the road,at the fruit market,working for Woolworths in Newcastle city centre, (Working with nice laydeeees. :wink: ) and spells in traffic offices,but I still seem to come back driving,and despite it’s problems,as a lot of jobs have,I wouldn’t do anything else at the moment.

So there we are,At 43,I’ve been involved with trucks since 11,some 32 years,and despite the infighting we sometimes have within the industry,I still think it’s the best job in the world,and if we could only deal with the lack of facilities,the RDC’s,TM’s that think they can do better,then we would be given the respect that we deserve.

Ken.

i wasn’t brought up around trucks it was cars and it was down to my uncle and grandad from being about 6 i was always in the garage my grandad owned then the dismantlers yard which he still has so i’ve always loved things with petrol and wheels, then the first time i was really intruiged was when i was about 10 and a recovery company parked up at the side off the yard they had a big old scammell wrecker and that was it all i wanted to do was drive trucks.

left school with 12 gcse’s not great then got a travel btec at college and followed my dad’s foot steps and joined the army i loved every minute but threw it away silly teenager not knowing what life has to hold, went into the factories and got my flt so i was loading and always wanting to be driving em not just watching em, left loading and went to be a service engineer for an horizontal boring company and that was interesting servicing and repairing hydralic and pnuematic machines but got bored off the walls so at 20 i went delivering milk to shops in a sprinter which was great started at 3:30am and back home for 11:00am which was great for spending time with my new born daughter, that lasted for two years and i got enough money for both my hgv 2 and 1 and passed both i started at hargreaves on the 8 wheeler tippers and loved it straight in at the deep end i did it for 6 months and just wanted to get on the artics so i left and joined the agency in 06 and been there ever since apart from having two months back at hargreaves and realising the pay was absolutley rubbish. But i wouldn’t change my life now pick up the notes on a morning and head off undisturbed and relaxed ( so long as i have my ■■■■)

Easy, I took a wrong turn in life and just kept going! :laughing:

My dad lost a bet with the Devil.
And sold my soul down the road!!!
zbin’ hell. Well I hope they do!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Im sure that i have done this before but never let the chance to convert a few more drivers go by. :stuck_out_tongue:

My Mum and Dad owned a pub and by day Dad sold farm tractors. I was four and lived on the old A63 from Hull between a farm and a haulage contractor. From my view of the road I could see the lorries turning into the yard with these big loads. The pub yard was full of old AEC, Albions and Commers at tea time as the drivers stopped for a few pints on their way from the fruit market or the fish docks in Hull to far-away locations like London and Glasgow.

One of the ladies who cooked meals at the pub taught me how long it took to get to London and back :smiley: She and my new uncle Harold seemed to be good friends and he normally got back in time to give her a lift home :wink:

This seemed a good job to me so by the time I was eight, I could drive a tractor and trailer and proceeded to the local hauliers yard to learn my trade. After been taught to rope and sheet, make tea and change tyres & brake linings, secondary school was boring :cry: I spent more time missing my school bus and getting a lift to Crook brickworks or a woollen mill in Bratford :stuck_out_tongue: If I did go to school I used to get off the bus early and go to work either transhipping drums of oil from Birkenhead or loading lengths of steel onto a lancashire flat destined for Europoort. My mum went barmy and normally had to wash my uniform for school the next day. I got a proper wage packet and was earning enough to buy my own ■■■■ and a moped at 13 years old.

It seems that I was destined to work in the transport industry. Im still here although a lot of the blokes who taught me the tricks have long gone :frowning:

use to go out with my dad when he worked for farley’s rusks many many years ago when they were running out of galleymead road colnbrook/poyle…we use to get in the yard early before the boss came in and then id have to hide in the footwell of his D series artic untill we got on the chiswick flyover to avoid the boss coming the other way lol…i remember southend being a night out back then and often when running back we would pull onto ealing common and meet up with the other drivers from the yard for a cuppa…most of the work was supermarkets and i remember keymarkets being the worse…

since the above i always wanted to do driving…left scool did paint spraying for a yr then my ex-wifes dad took me on as a spanner man on his fleet of trucks…hated that then started on underweights there roping and sheeting till i took my class 1 test at 21…continued working there on rigids for a few years then left and went onto wagon and drags for a while doing uk work before ending up where i am now for the last 17 yrs back on rigids which has involved doing abit of france in my earlier yrs here…still get the odd turn of the wheel of an artic but only when we’ve hired one in for a one off contract like last summer…

Like most on here, always loved trucks when i was a kid.
When i was in my teens i considered going into the military to get my licence.
Its a long story with a women involved :laughing: but i ended up in the hotel business.
Bought my own about ten years ago in the west country.
Hated the last couple of years, same [zb]every day, same stress over the weekends with ■■■■■■ up tourists.
I was sat in the office one monday morning after clearing up puke from one of the rooms.
I said to the wife “do you know what” [zb] this.
We sold up within six months and i passed c then c+e. and i aint looked back since.
Should have stuck to my dream when i was a kid :laughing:

auto censor dodges removed, please read Lucy’s post HERE…Denis F

Well, my story is this.

I have always loved any big vehicles, be it trains, trucks, planes, whatever, as far back as I can remember.

It was back in 1995 or 1996 when I had my first short ride in a truck. I was with my dad in the Iceland car park in Wigston, when a Volvo FL12 (or similar) artic came to deliver. I was watching it, and as the driver opened the back doors my dad spoke to the driver and he let me sit in while he backed in. I loved it. Ok it was only for maybe 2-3 mins, but I was hooked.

It was back in 1997 though, when I had my first real ride in a HGV. My dad worked next door to a firm called Hardings Transport. They were a small fleet, but had just brought a new tractor and trailer. The tractor was an Iveco EuroTech 4x2, and I still remember the reg. It was P519 FNR. My dad knows the boss quite well and sorted out a few trips with the driver. I loved it. Using the small “jack-knife” mirror to see the rear when reversing or turning. I also remember getting into a Transit van after being in the truck and the van feeling as low as a sports car.

Then, in about 2005, I went out (only once though) with the same driver again in the bellow truck.

My dad still knows Ian Harding, and hopefully, when I pass my C and C+E he might take me on full time, which I think would be perfect. He may not have the smartest fleet, but he is the kindest and most caring person I know (at the moment) in the industry, and the drivers don’t have a bad word for him.

Oh, and for those of you wondering about P519 FNR, I am afraid it came to a sad end. She was taken off the road, used for spares, and then scrapped. A real shame for a vehicle that helped Hardings move to the heavy stuff.

Thanks for reading.

New Blood.

It was a case of mistaken ID , guv . Life sentence for a crime I didn’t commit ; and no time off for good behavior :cry:

Always wanted to drive trucks as a child. :confused: On my 21st birthday I got a job with Dublin Bus driving double deckers. I was the youngest driver in the company at the time. After 4 years I moved home to Northern Ireland and got my class 1. :smiley:
Haven’t looked back. My 1st lorry job was delivering groupage around Dublin after just leaving there to move home then I started on fridges working all over England and Ireland but since then most of my work has been hiab and have been in my present job for the last 10 years :wink:
Some days I get sick of it :cry: but then I think if I was in an office I would never hack it :frowning: and it aint that bad out on the road :wink:

i started off watching convoy as a kid ! the rest is history