hill hold

Never used an auto. so can you not just get your biting point with the rev’s then release handbrake :blush:, This is what worry s me when you have a driving test at a firm if i don’t know the gear system. will the auto’s roll back :question:

sweeper1gg:
Never used an auto. so can you not just get your biting point with the rev’s then release handbrake :blush:, This is what worry s me when you have a driving test at a firm if i don’t know the gear system. will the auto’s roll back :question:

You can do it the same as a stick box, that is use secondary, hill hold just makes life easy :slight_smile: .

Lucy:
In my current MAN I use it because I’ve short arms and have to lean down out of my seat to reach the handbrake… :blush:

I am not as tall as Lucy so find it use full on some hills in my MAN although mine is a 56 plate did also use it in the 12 plate I drove on some of the hills

sweeper1gg:

Don’t be worried about the roll back in an auto, if you think you might roll back then apply the handbrake then release it, there is a system on the truck that prevents roll back for a second or so.

fleettraineruk:

sweeper1gg:

Don’t be worried about the roll back in an auto, if you think you might roll back then apply the handbrake then release it, there is a system on the truck that prevents roll back for a second or so.[/
Good man. :wink:

Well, thanks for the replies, looks like most are positive about them and i’m definately in a minority…as usual… :open_mouth:

I don’t like them because they take the automatic responsibility for control away from the driver, who then becomes reliant on the thing.

Worse one i ever found was on Stralis (now isn’t that a surprise) fitted with that dreadful ZF auto satan box, hill hold would release about a second before the junk resumed power after it encountered a junction, no more use than a chocolate teapot.

Still won’t be using it :wink: , but again thanks for the views boys and girls.

Got a 61 plate FH its got it but never used it tbh IShift does a good enough job on its own. Saying that might have a play tomorrow see what its all about lol :smiley:.

As we have no such thing here I am not sure what it is ? … But every truck here has automatic power pick up just as my ERF did in 1994, sitting on a hill in gear waiting for a red light to turn green with my foot on the brake, lift the clutch pedal until it bites and let the engine speed increase without touching the throttle until it’s moving, such an old system is the best way to go. Parking brakes here are not like back there, it’s a switch and it’s either on or off, there’s no in between.

My daf has hill start only used it twice to see what it was all about both times ever so slight roll back. Even slight rollback is useless in my eyes never used it since.

I don’t think I’ve come across this. Would someone post a picture of what the switch for this gadget looks like

Euro:
I don’t think I’ve come across this. Would someone post a picture of what the switch for this gadget looks like

The middle one.

Thats on a maggy.

invaluable in a auto merc.

I posted on here a good while ago that I was driving an 07 plate man auto and I hated it. It was a rental and I was using it during the grain harvest so in and out of right farms. It was a horrible gearbox and I thought I’d never be turned.

However last Friday I did a run in our new man tgx auto and I loved it. I found it so relaxing to drive and I thought the hill hold was fantastic. Drivers seat had lh armrest and coupled with the fact that I didn’t have to use the handbrake for hill starts, I don’t think my hands left the wheel. A very handy assist I thought

Its fitted to protect the clutch.When it is used it only applies the tractor brakes not the trailer.As there is a lag to realease trailer brakes due to signal line length the clutch would be engaging while the trailer brakes were still applied and burn the clutch face.