hgv vacancies

maga:

mac12:

skypilot:
My heart bleeds for you having to do 0500 starts.
Have a word with HR and may be they can let you start later.
Or even give you your P45 then you can stay in bed all day!

And 0500 start are a luxury where i work, if a job has to be done early you get on with it!
We operate 365 days a year & if it requires even Christmas day!!!

While we have drivers like this the job will never improve, most early starts are to get to some firm for when they open instead of last thing the day before. How many early morning crashes could be avoided if drivers had a bit more sleep.

what do you mean drivers like this? do you think transport is the only 24/7 job? :unamused:

if you have an early start you go to sleep earlier, its really not hard.

and yes its not unusual for me to start at 2am or 3am

Fine starting at 2am as long as you get paid the full shift at night rate. Do you deliver things that could have been delivered the day before but the company would not have it but they don’t mind you starting work in the middle of the night. I wont start before 6am as I think getting up at maybe 5am to drive to work then maybe a 15 day is plenty.

mac12:

maga:

mac12:

skypilot:

And 0500 start are a luxury where i work, if a job has to be done early you get on with it!

While we have drivers like this the job will never improve, most early starts are to get to some firm for when they open instead of last thing the day before. How many early morning crashes could be avoided if drivers had a bit more sleep.

what do you mean drivers like this? do you think transport is the only 24/7 job? :unamused:

if you have an early start you go to sleep earlier, its really not hard.

and yes its not unusual for me to start at 2am or 3am

Fine starting at 2am as long as you get paid the full shift at night rate. Do you deliver things that could have been delivered the day before but the company would not have it but they don’t mind you starting work in the middle of the night. I wont start before 6am as I think getting up at maybe 5am to drive to work then maybe a 15 day is plenty.

I don’t drive for hire or reward so I’m delivering to building sites across the country my company are working on, but I am quite happy starting at whatever time really.

Some of Our work is very time sensitive for example, we have a crane lifting an air conditioning air handler off me and onto a shop roof in central London. This can’t be avoided and you’ve got no chance doing it in the day.

Other times though I get a text saying ‘aim for peterhead, no rush’ and that’s that. Rough with the smooth.

Regarding pay, I am paid a night shift rate up until 9am but if I’ve worked over 8 hours at that point I’m on time and a half anyway. Not the best but not the worst.

skypilot:

give that man a medal

truckman20:

skypilot:

give that man a medal

give him a calculator cos that would be 366 days in a year :smiley:

I bet the ad in question didn’t use the words “EXCITING OPPERTUNITY” anyway :unamused:

Winseer:
A straight-line continuation will see the following in 10 years time:

Most good drivers have retired aged about 70.
Few good drivers are now in their early 30’s.
THere will be a glut of rab-c-nesbitt lookalikes clinging onto their jobs with a “dead man’s shoes” mindset.
Agencies will be campaigned against by the above, to further protect their jobs.
It won’t work, and agency rates will gradually rise, because there is a dearth of drivers that are good insurance risks
Agencies who employ the cheapest instead of the safest go bust in the iterim - kit attrition.
Firms who’ve got away with taking someone on for buttons for stupid hours per week “basic” will continue laughing all the way to the bank, until some “black swan” event like a strong economic upturn or massive drop in fuel price unseats the lot of them all at once…

And now back in the real world…

green456:

truckman20:

skypilot:

give that man a medal

LOL

green456:

truckman20:

skypilot:

and last year WAS a leap year :grimacing: :grimacing:

job adverts do seem to glam it up a bit…but you should see my c.v. :blush:

How is being offered the chance to drive a truck an exciting ‘oppertunity’ ?(sic)

It’s a basic way to earn a living.

Exciting it ain’t. Unless you don’t get out much of course.

commonrail:
job adverts do seem to glam it up a bit…but you should see my c.v. :blush:

:smiley: mine too :smiley:

Seany:

skypilot:
even Christmas day!!!

F#€$ that! Christmas Day is one day I never work. Never have and never will lol

Because you take the family to church?

Exciting opportunity ? …Yeah, I can see what you mean !! :laughing:

I don’t mind my job but I wouldn’t say it fills me with excitement :open_mouth: …unless I’m heading home for a few days off :stuck_out_tongue:

On slightly different note

I was loading at Thorntons chocolates (DHL) Alfreton today, and had the time to browse the notice boards 1 notice caught my eye, whether it was an "internal" notice I couldnt tell. Which was for a recruitment drive theyre running for both cat C and C+E drivers. It seems theyre recruiting cat C drivers for local and store deliveries, and C+E drivers for distance work, trunking and store deliveries.
both Day and night shifts are on offer, wages are ££ TBC, however the closing date for applications is the 23rd August.

however (even though it was on the notice) I didnt get the name/contact details of who the applications should be sent. But if anyone might be interested, I figure theyll use their initiative

peirre:
I was loading at Thornton`s chocolates . . .

It seems they`re recruiting cat C drivers for local and store deliveries

= Sweet shop ■■■■■■■ and struggling and parking no where near.

• Gaffer was a knob. (maybe a different one now)

I’ve done it - for me it’s a must to avoid.

Dieseldoforme:

peirre:
I was loading at Thornton`s chocolates . . .

It seems they`re recruiting cat C drivers for local and store deliveries

= Sweet shop ■■■■■■■ and struggling and parking no where near.

• Gaffer was a knob. (maybe a different one now)

I’ve done it - for me it’s a must to avoid…

A lot of that type of handball work you`ll find running out of Whitwood which is a PITA
However it may suit someone looking for a change & security with a large company, which is why I posted it
Also some of the C+E guys are running multiple trunk load up to Bawtry & Scunthorpe for warehousing

peirre:
On slightly different note

I was loading at Thorntons chocolates (DHL) Alfreton today, and had the time to browse the notice boards 1 notice caught my eye, whether it was an "internal" notice I couldnt tell. Which was for a recruitment drive theyre running for both cat C and C+E drivers. It seems theyre recruiting cat C drivers for local and store deliveries, and C+E drivers for distance work, trunking and store deliveries.
both Day and night shifts are on offer, wages are ££ TBC, however the closing date for applications is the 23rd August.

however (even though it was on the notice) I didnt get the name/contact details of who the applications should be sent. But if anyone might be interested, I figure theyll use their initiative

Mary Inman
Transport office
Thornton Park
Somercotes
Derbyshire
De55 4xj

peirre:
Also some of the C+E guys are running multiple trunk loads up to
Bawtry & Scunthorpe for warehousing.

It reminds me of the Cadbury contract that DHL had - and then screwed up.

They were so arrogant in believing that no one else could do the job . . .

. . . until they lost the contract.

Dieseldoforme:

peirre:
Also some of the C+E guys are running multiple trunk loads up to
Bawtry & Scunthorpe for warehousing.

It reminds me of the Cadbury contract that DHL had - and then screwed up.

They were so arrogant in believing that no one else could do the job . . .

. . . until they lost the contract.

Some things never change :laughing: